Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Anyone have sample Mountain Athlete workouts?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

martinjohn

Aug 1, 2010, 3:48 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Anyone have sample Mountain Athlete workouts?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Saw on Crossfit that someone had copied a lot of the military athlete workouts before the site started charging. Just wondering if anyone here had done the same with mountainathlete.com.

Thanks.

Martin

chrisb

Aug 11, 2010, 6:50 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [martinjohn] Anyone have sample Mountain Athlete workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you go to Mountain Athlete's website, you'll see a sample workout page on the left menu.

However, I'd recommend checking out The Alpine Training Center. It's a gym in Boulder run by a great coach, Connie Sciolino. Connie used to run Mountain Athlete Boulder, before Shaul went (apparently) crazy and started charging for access to daily workouts.

I trained following Mountain Athlete for about 18 months, and was pretty pleased with the results. However, I'm much more impressed with Connie's approach at ATC: her programming is much more varied and thoughtful than Shaul's. All of the nagging, overuse issues I had while following Mountain Athlete cleared up by simply by following ATC. Just go back and search the Mountain Athlete site under exercises for anything that's unfamiliar on ATC's site.

And if you haven't already, you should buy __Starting Strength__ by Mark Rippetoe, if you're serious about training.

martinjohn

Aug 12, 2010, 1:20 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chrisb] Anyone have sample Mountain Athlete workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the heads up. That's awesome news.

Yes, I was surprised when they started charging just to view their workouts. I loved them but didn't want to start paying just yet.

And, yes, I've read Starting Strength. I'm glad there are some people putting together diverse programs for climbing training.

I'm wondering if I'm just a little too enthusiastic as I'll only be climbing indoors. May not need all the endurance training.

In any case, I'm overcoming a cycling injury and won't be able to start any training for a little while.

Do want to thank you quite a bit for the site. It is a find.

Sincerely,

Martin

chrisb

Aug 13, 2010, 8:28 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [martinjohn] Anyone have sample Mountain Athlete workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Martin,

It sounds like you are something of a beginner (if you are doing only indoor climbing), in which case, awesome: you are in for a fun ride.

If you are just starting, focus on learning climbing technique and mastering your safety systems. Most of all, have fun and find a good group of like-minded dumbshits who will make you laugh and push you in a positive way.

Personally, I think everyone (climber or not) benefits from thoughtful, well-executed weight training. General fitness, overall strength, bone density, and joint support are all good things, no matter who you are. I think you'll be doing yourself a favor if you learn how to train properly with weights.

Remember that the ATC, MA, and Gym Jones hybrid stuff is really targeted at alpine climbers/ski mountaineers. It doesn't make you a better climber with respect to your technique, but it does make you a much tougher, stronger climber who recovers much faster, is less prone to injury, and has a higher mental toughness quotient. That said, even if you aren't interested in ever climbing a mountain, you'll still get plenty strong and durable for whatever you like. Much better than just plodding around the weight machines like we see too many folk doing every day.

If you are interested in getting into the alpine end of things, the best advice I can give you is to be patient. Beg and bribe to get out with folk who are experienced and learn all you can from them. Have fun, more than anything.

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to PM if you've got any more specific questions. Good luck!

xaniel2000

Aug 17, 2010, 2:38 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chrisb] Anyone have sample Mountain Athlete workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chrisb wrote:
Most of all, have fun and find a good group of like-minded dumbshits who will make you laugh and push you in a positive way.

I thought your entire post was helpful, but this part in particular was great!

Durin

Dec 15, 2010, 7:44 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xaniel2000] Anyone have sample Mountain Athlete workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 for Connie Sciolino at the ATC.

www.thealpinetrainingcenter.com

It's about twice as expensive as a normal climbing gym, but the ATC taught me what Mark Twight means when he says "Stop doing whatever you were doing in the gym and start training."

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook