RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

jmeizis

Aug 3, 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1591 views)
Shortcut

Eccentric Loading and Tendonosis
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I've got some tenderness on the palm side of the proximal phalanx of my middle finger. Sometimes I have the same thing with my ring finger. It comes and goes, depending on how often I'm climbing. There's no inflammation or swelling. Doesn't really hurt when climbing but generally becomes more tender. No precipitating event where it started hurting, just kind of a gradual thing. Sounds a lot like tendonosis but I'm too cheap to go to the doctor to have them tell me what I'm relatively sure I already know.

So was looking at treatments of tendonosis and noticed one of them was eccentric loading and read a few papers about how eccentric loading was used to treat tendonosis of the achilles tendon with good results. I had to look up what eccentric loading was but the mechanics sounded a lot like what happens during campusing. Now I'm thinking just regular campusing is probably not the way to help a tendon injury (more likely the opposite) but am I way off in my understanding of what is meant by the term eccentric loading? If not then would some sort of sub-body weight campusing be something that I might use in my regimen of finger tendon therapy along with ice, stretching, and massage?

If not how would one eccentrically load their fingers?

(This post was edited by jmeizis on Aug 3, 2010, 11:09 PM)

onceahardman

Aug 4, 2010, 3:38 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Eccentric Loading and Tendonosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
So I've got some tenderness on the palm side of the proximal phalanx of my middle finger. Sometimes I have the same thing with my ring finger. It comes and goes, depending on how often I'm climbing. There's no inflammation or swelling. Doesn't really hurt when climbing but generally becomes more tender. No precipitating event where it started hurting, just kind of a gradual thing. Sounds a lot like tendonosis but I'm too cheap to go to the doctor to have them tell me what I'm relatively sure I already know.

So was looking at treatments of tendonosis and noticed one of them was eccentric loading and read a few papers about how eccentric loading was used to treat tendonosis of the achilles tendon with good results. I had to look up what eccentric loading was but the mechanics sounded a lot like what happens during campusing. Now I'm thinking just regular campusing is probably not the way to help a tendon injury (more likely the opposite) but am I way off in my understanding of what is meant by the term eccentric loading? If not then would some sort of sub-body weight campusing be something that I might use in my regimen of finger tendon therapy along with ice, stretching, and massage?

If not how would one eccentrically load their fingers?

First, when you say there is "no inflammation (or swelling)"...there probably is an inflammatory component to this. It is probably not purely mechanical, especially when it's flared up.

second, the palmar surface of the proximal phalanx is the location of the A2 pulley, which is a common injury in climbers.

On to your main points/questions. There is an eccentric component to campusing, as there is to most functional activities, like running and jumping. But if your aim is to find a treatment modality which will be therapeutic, I'd urge you to find an activity with much more control. Start with weights or elastic bands. It takes months to remodel poorly healed connective tissue. Be patient, go slowly, do not ever make it worse. Stick with it, though. You will probably start to see consistent improvement in 4 weeks, and a pretty solid repair in 6 months, assuming you are diligent.

squierbypetzl

Sep 8, 2010, 1:18 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Eccentric Loading and Tendonosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sub-bodyweight hangboarding I know, but sub-body weight campusing? how exactly would that work?

onceahardman

Sep 8, 2010, 2:56 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Eccentric Loading and Tendonosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
Sub-bodyweight hangboarding I know, but sub-body weight campusing? how exactly would that work?

Hmmm, I don't think you meant to reply to me....

But you could do sub-body weight campusing by creatively setting up a campus board in a pool.

I still wouldn't recommend it, due to lack of control, but as a purely theoretical construct, it's possible.

squierbypetzl

Sep 8, 2010, 6:58 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Eccentric Loading and Tendonosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, sorry Hardman, I didn't mean you, but you give a plausible answer. I'm just saying that of all the getups I can imagine for sbw campus, I think it'd be much less work to just top rope or do something else.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook