Forums: Climbing Information: Trip Reports:
The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

johnwesely

Jul 30, 2010, 3:51 PM
Post #226 of 241 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtselman] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

mtselman wrote:
John,

Thank you for your fantastic trip reports! As a regular Gunks climber I can closely relate to specific routes you describe. Yet, beyond the specifics of the routes, you managed to capture the essence of the place, the people you met and the journey you had, all in a great style. Excellent read for both locals and outsiders!

--Misha

Thank you very much.

markguycan

Jul 30, 2010, 3:55 PM
Post #227 of 241 (5493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

John, & anyone else;
I am probably going to the Gunks (1st time)this October with my wife. I realize the ratings are generally pretty stiff. I don't want to put my wife on anything too hard. I see you listed some classics: "CCK, Frog's Head, Strictly from Nowhere, Son of Easy O, Disneyland, and High Exposure"
What classics do you recommend that actually feel like less than 5.9?
--thx-M

johnwesely

Jul 30, 2010, 4:10 PM
Post #228 of 241 (5486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markguycan] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markguycan wrote:
John, & anyone else;
I am probably going to the Gunks (1st time)this October with my wife. I realize the ratings are generally pretty stiff. I don't want to put my wife on anything too hard. I see you listed some classics: "CCK, Frog's Head, Strictly from Nowhere, Son of Easy O, Disneyland, and High Exposure"
What classics do you recommend that actually feel like less than 5.9?
--thx-M

I didn't think that the grades were really that stiff when compared to the traditional climbing areas in the South East. Compared to sport ratings, I would add two number grades for everything 5.8 and under and a number grade for everything above that.

Of the ones you mentioned, I think the most problematic would be CCK. It is definitely under 5.9, but if your wife is easily spooked, you may encounter difficulties. Son of Easy O has a pretty thin start, but it is nothing you couldn't haul her up if necessary.

Have fun at the Gunks.

horseshoe

Jul 30, 2010, 6:37 PM
Post #229 of 241 (5452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to the Gunks for the first time this June--sadly only for one day. We did High Exposure and Madame G's. The grades seemed similar to western North Carolina, but the routes of corresponding grades might be steeper. Have a blast! The Gunks are great.

And John, thank you for an excellent trip report!

johnwesely

Jul 30, 2010, 6:46 PM
Post #230 of 241 (5450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [horseshoe] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

horseshoe wrote:
I went to the Gunks for the first time this June--sadly only for one day. We did High Exposure and Madame G's. The grades seemed similar to western North Carolina, but the routes of corresponding grades might be steeper. Have a blast! The Gunks are great.

And John, thank you for an excellent trip report!

Your welcome.

IsayAutumn

Jul 30, 2010, 7:30 PM
Post #231 of 241 (5439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Good thread, John.

Also...

"The way you get sponsored is... have a beat street attitude. Treat a comp like a bboy cypher. Head hunt for ppl like Graham, Sharma, Robinson, Woods, Miley Cyrus, Lisa Rands, etc... Do a route in front of them and even if you don't send, come down, get some chalk from your bag, palm it, then blow it all to their faces and say "YOU JUST GOT SMOKED, NIGGA, STRAIGHT STREET..." Then do a coin drop to halo's to a drill head spin and top rock outta the comp."

johnwesely

Jul 30, 2010, 7:47 PM
Post #232 of 241 (5427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IsayAutumn wrote:
Good thread, John.

Also...

"The way you get sponsored is... have a beat street attitude. Treat a comp like a bboy cypher. Head hunt for ppl like Graham, Sharma, Robinson, Woods, Miley Cyrus, Lisa Rands, etc... Do a route in front of them and even if you don't send, come down, get some chalk from your bag, palm it, then blow it all to their faces and say "YOU JUST GOT SMOKED, NIGGA, STRAIGHT STREET..." Then do a coin drop to halo's to a drill head spin and top rock outta the comp."

That sounds like, uh, good advice...

johnwesely

Aug 4, 2010, 6:30 PM
Post #233 of 241 (5340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the official TR surprise.

I am writing for Greg's blog now so the TR never has to end.

Here is my first post.

http://gregsclimbingblog.blogspot.com/...p-is-hard-to-do.html

iknowfear

Aug 4, 2010, 8:00 PM
Post #234 of 241 (5319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great trip report. I got sweaty hands reading. It really captures some of the essence of climbing...

Cheers!

johnwesely

Aug 4, 2010, 8:19 PM
Post #235 of 241 (5315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iknowfear] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

iknowfear wrote:
Great trip report. I got sweaty hands reading. It really captures some of the essence of climbing...

Cheers!

Thank you.

jakedatc

Aug 5, 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #236 of 241 (5266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:

Here is my first post.

still not reading that! ;)

johnwesely

Aug 6, 2010, 1:20 AM
Post #237 of 241 (5247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

Here is my first post.

still not reading that! ;)

Don't worry. Next time we meet, you can read my blog, and I will watch that car show.

davidnn5

Aug 6, 2010, 8:04 AM
Post #238 of 241 (5224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As evidenced in other recent threads, John lied to me that Gunks 5.singledigit isn't completely sandbagged. And given he's not actually the lovechild of the previously mentioned climbers, I am doubly disappointed.

airscape

Aug 6, 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #239 of 241 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey John

Awesome trip report, I'm almost half way done reading.

I'm printing the rest out to read on the crapper. (I'm all out of sudoku)

Smile

johnwesely

Aug 6, 2010, 2:13 PM
Post #240 of 241 (5185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidnn5] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

davidnn5 wrote:
As evidenced in other recent threads, John lied to me that Gunks 5.singledigit isn't completely sandbagged. And given he's not actually the lovechild of the previously mentioned climbers, I am doubly disappointed.

Where did I lie? When I said the grades were harder than sport climbing grades? I have never been to a traditional climbing area with sport climbing grades.

johnwesely

Aug 6, 2010, 2:20 PM
Post #241 of 241 (5180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] The Long Awaited, Much Anticipated, Notorius, Hopefully not Overly Laborious, Lonestar Gunks TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
Hey John

Awesome trip report, I'm almost half way done reading.

I'm printing the rest out to read on the crapper. (I'm all out of sudoku)

Smile

Thank you.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook