RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

cb1039

Aug 6, 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1340 views)
Shortcut

Big toe fusion
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all, I want to see if anyone has had a big toe fusion surgery and still climbs. I am scheduled to have my big toe joint fused with a plate and screws. My doctor can't really comment for sure if he thinks I will be able to climb again and it has me more than a little anxious. I have been climbing for the past eight years but after fracturing my metatarsal head while surfing a couple years ago and two surgeries, i haven't really been able to climb like i used to. Just curious to see if anyone else has experienced climbing with a fused joint.
thanks!!

gblauer

Aug 15, 2010, 6:22 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cb1039] Big toe fusion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Read this thread:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

I have to get BOTH big toes fused. I am going to wait until I can no longer walk. I am now wearing rocker shoes, clogs and sneakers. I can no longer wear dress shoes. I can climb because my darling MItch made carbon fiber inserts for my rock shoes. I am using creative foot work but I am still managing to climb Gunks 5.10's.

PM me if you want more information. The doc tells me that I will be able to climb/walk pain free if I have my toes fused. I have consulted more than 5 surgeons about my toes but I am skeptical about their prognosis espcially since the first surgeries were such a failure.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook