Aug 13, 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #1 of 1
Registered: Aug 7, 2003
Clinic description: The Warrior's Way ® teaches how to focus attention during the climbing process, especially when you’re full of doubt and under stress. By focusing this way you improve your commitment and climb more deliberately.
You’ll learn to:
• Become aware of your mind’s limiting tendencies
• Use your mind’s intelligence to do effective risk-assessment
• Distinguish between no-fall and yes-fall zones
• Make appropriate risk decisions
• Practice falling in small increments
• Give a cushioned belay
• Engage your body to develop flow and momentum
• Deal with climbing stress
• Improve problem-solving skills
• Reduce fear, and more
Content of the class
We’ll do awareness, movement, breathing, and resting exercises on moderate routes. Then some falling practice. We'll finish with a challenging route to apply what we’ve learned.
Prerequisites for clinic:
• It’s helpful if you’ve read The Rock Warrior’s Way or Espresso Lessons, but it isn’t absolutely necessary.
• The clinic seems to be best for those who have hit a plateau, experience frustration, fear, loss of motivation, or other mental fitness issues.
• You DO need to know the fundamentals of knots, belaying, and basic climbing skills.
• You DO NOT need to be able to lead to take the clinic.
• Harness, shoes, belay device, and a helmet (if you want to wear one). The gym usually provides lead ropes and sometimes helmets.
When / Where:
Sept 20, Sportrock, Sterling, VA 571-434-7625
Sept 21, Earth Treks, Rockville, MD 240-283-9942
Sept 22, Earth Treks, Columbia, MD 410-872-0060
Sept 23, Peak Experiences, Midlothian, VA 804-897-6800
Investment: $79 for non-members; $69 for gym members
Max number: 8 / clinic
Instructors: Tracy Martin and Arno Ilgner
LIMITED OPPORTUNITY: This is the only time this year to take advantage of this training.