RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

sp00ki

Aug 23, 2010, 3:43 PM
Post #1 of 7 (7495 views)
Shortcut

Nicros Hit Strips: a few questions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Finished sorting out the dimensions and started to build the 50° wall for the Nicros Hit Strip system (Classic), but am a little unsure about foothold placement.

The official instructions make no mention of foot placement, and the informal instructions are vague mentioning only "open feet" and "smaller is better".

Since this structure is only for the HIT Strips, there aren't feet to use.
I have an unused set of Metolius Incut Edges (screw on) i'll probably be using, but don't really know what the best way to mount them is.

Anyone with HIT strip experience have suggestions?

gmggg

Aug 23, 2010, 4:12 PM
Post #2 of 7 (7471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Nicros Hit Strips: a few questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
Finished sorting out the dimensions and started to build the 50° wall for the Nicros Hit Strip system (Classic), but am a little unsure about foothold placement.

The official instructions make no mention of foot placement, and the informal instructions are vague mentioning only "open feet" and "smaller is better".

Since this structure is only for the HIT Strips, there aren't feet to use.
I have an unused set of Metolius Incut Edges (screw on) i'll probably be using, but don't really know what the best way to mount them is.

Anyone with HIT strip experience have suggestions?

Revolution makes some very nice system foot holds.
http://www.revolutionclimbing.com/System-Feet_p_263.html

I'm not suggesting that you buy these particularly, but IMHO they are pretty much perfect. They have different angles and surface sizes for metering difficulty.

As far as mounting everything I've done and seen has been 6-8 holds centered and symmetrically placed below the first strip. (unless you're really close to the floor, then you might need fewer holds, wider spacing, or to intersperse the foot holds with the hit strips)

sp00ki

Aug 23, 2010, 4:21 PM
Post #3 of 7 (7464 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Nicros Hit Strips: a few questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the link. The only problem with this is that the wall isn't being set up with T nuts, so i'm stuck w/ screw-on holds.

As for foot placement: so the only feet needed are at the kickboard/below the first strip?
In other words, "tracking" is suggested?

davrobj

Aug 23, 2010, 4:58 PM
Post #4 of 7 (7444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a home wall with the classic system and have been using it for about 2 years.

Based on my experiences, I'd start with some medium/large holds that offer a generous area to place the foot, but aren't so big that you're knocking your shins on them as you climb. Ideally, you'll want something that you can use quickly/easily (at 50 deg.) in order to maintain a steady movement and focus on your arms/breathing/etc. Really, the only drawback to the larger holds is that they can start to get in the way, which is why I think they say "smaller is better"

As far as the track idea goes, I'd wait on that until you decide it's necessary. I just have randomly placed t-nuts below the bottom strip and have had good luck with that. Depending on your height, you may end-up using the lowest strip for your feet when you're at the top, but I have never need to...

The footholds are tricky and may ultimately require some trial-and-error to get them the way you like. Hopefully you can find some screw-on holds that work well the first time. It's a great way to improve your strength and get a serious pump! Wink

Best of luck!

redbarnrit

Aug 23, 2010, 5:18 PM
Post #5 of 7 (7430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Get some fat screw on foot or hand holds that will work well at the steep angle of the wall.

You're going to be adding weight and doing a lot of reps with the workout, so you'll need something that you can easily get your feet onto.

You defintely will not be able to "track" on the rungs, or at least not when your hands are on the lowest 3. I would also recommend not putting your feet on the rungs at all so that they keep their texture longer.

To set the feet, grab the lowest rung on your wall and determine where your feet would comfortably reach. Set a pair of footholds at this location about shoulder width apart. Then grab the last rung of your wall and determine where your feet will comfortably reach (probably fairly close to the lowest rung if you've followed the proper spacing of the rungs). Set another pair of footholds at this location about should width apart. Your body should be extended at both of these foothold locations. Then equally space the remaining footholds in between these two points.

Good luck!

gmggg

Aug 23, 2010, 5:19 PM
Post #6 of 7 (7426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
Thanks for the link. The only problem with this is that the wall isn't being set up with T nuts, so i'm stuck w/ screw-on holds.

As for foot placement: so the only feet needed are at the kickboard/below the first strip?
In other words, "tracking" is suggested?

Those were meant as more of an example of what I like in a training foot hold; i.e. easy to adjust, easy to read, easy to reproduce setups at different times.

If you like those you could probably figure out a way to screw them on (not too hard)

I assume by tracking you mean using your previous hand hold as a foot hold. That would be fine for most HIT strip training. Your feet don't get that high anyway unless you're shorter or the whole set up is closer to the floor.

bothomsen

Aug 25, 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #7 of 7 (7320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Nicros Hit Strips: a few questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

have any of you gained some from training on a HIT wall?
i am really turned on on the pinch holds in this setup.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook