Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
The more I hear about it.....
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Partner devkrev

Aug 30, 2010, 3:21 PM
Post #1 of 17 (10324 views)
Shortcut

The more I hear about it.....  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

the less I ever want to climb here.

You might say that I am missing out, but I guess I have a certain tolerance for how many hoops I need to jump through to climb somewhere.

Since I can't lead 5.11 (yet), and I don't have the experience/inclination for big walls, I'm not really interested in Yosemite.

When I see guides for "top roping yosemite" and "bouldering in yosemite" I just chuckle, because I feel like if your not there for the best that location has to offer, then whats the point?

That is unless its in your backyard I guess.

wonderwoman

Aug 30, 2010, 3:29 PM
Post #2 of 17 (10315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] The more I hear about it..... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Might I recommend Squamish, BC? It's Yosemite sized with tons of variation and no crowds. Nice clean granite with single pitch, multi pitch and sport.

Since you're from the North East, you might understand me when I say it's like a Yosemite sized Acadia National Park. We are going every other year until we get sick of it. I can't get enough Squamish!

climbingaggie03

Aug 30, 2010, 3:43 PM
Post #3 of 17 (10303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dunno, I don't climb 5.11 either and I love the valley, Royal arches 5.7 15 pitches is a blast, snake dike 5.7 8 pitches and ends on top of half dome is fun. There's tons of great routes at 5.8 and below, even more if you're up to 5.9 I've spent probably 3 or 4 months of time in the valley and I'm still itching to go back.

I have done a big wall and I'd like to do the nose, but there's way more there than just that, and the atmosphere and climbing community is unlike anywhere else I've ever been

Partner devkrev

Aug 30, 2010, 3:52 PM
Post #4 of 17 (10291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] The more I hear about it..... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
I dunno, I don't climb 5.11 either and I love the valley, Royal arches 5.7 15 pitches is a blast, snake dike 5.7 8 pitches and ends on top of half dome is fun. There's tons of great routes at 5.8 and below, even more if you're up to 5.9 I've spent probably 3 or 4 months of time in the valley and I'm still itching to go back.

I have done a big wall and I'd like to do the nose, but there's way more there than just that, and the atmosphere and climbing community is unlike anywhere else I've ever been

I'm not saying there isn't alot of offer at the grades I'm comfortable at, I'm just saying I don't know if I'm willing to buy a plane ticket/rental car to wait in line for them.

I figure that choices open up more at the harder grades, kind of like the gunks.

dev

olderic

Aug 30, 2010, 4:00 PM
Post #5 of 17 (10280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure what you can do abvout the hoops - assuming you are referring to the crowds and the opressive authoritative stance of the rangers - the spring and fall are slightly less crowded and climbing conditions are better anyway. But as a climber there really is no place better, Stick your nose out the door in the morning - tent flap, cabin or Awanhee penthouse - and you just have to marvel. There are tons of moderate routes of all lengths, I will admit the first trip I went there - 33 years ago - I had a one track mind - the Nose. A year later I still hadn't changed tracks and added the Salathe and the regular NW face. But since then I have done a lot of the moderates and they are wonderful. I am not that much of a boulderer but the Camp 4 circuit really should be experienced, Perfect boulders in a perfect forest (only other place I felt like that was in Font) with all the history and so on. Yup - if you are a climber you have to go.

vegastradguy

Aug 30, 2010, 4:25 PM
Post #6 of 17 (10252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] The more I hear about it..... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

i think that as a climber, one should definitely make a trip to Yosemite- the history and the overwhelming size and scope of the area is worth it alone- even if you cant climb much there. That said, if you can touch 5.9, you can have alot of fun, if you can climb 5.10 comfortably, there's no end to it.

All of that said, as a free climber, i've kind of done my time there and am not really interested in returning until the itch to do the Nose and Salathe finally gets bad enough that I cannot ignore it any longer. I personally prefer Squamish- while not nearly the size, the amount of climbing available to the everyman along with the ridiculous amount of daylight, well maintained trails, and lack of anything resembling the Yosemite rat race all makes it far more appealing than the valley.

Partner devkrev

Aug 30, 2010, 4:54 PM
Post #7 of 17 (10223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] The more I hear about it..... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
i think that as a climber, one should definitely make a trip to Yosemite- the history and the overwhelming size and scope of the area is worth it alone- even if you cant climb much there. That said, if you can touch 5.9, you can have alot of fun, if you can climb 5.10 comfortably, there's no end to it.

All of that said, as a free climber, i've kind of done my time there and am not really interested in returning until the itch to do the Nose and Salathe finally gets bad enough that I cannot ignore it any longer. I personally prefer Squamish- while not nearly the size, the amount of climbing available to the everyman along with the ridiculous amount of daylight, well maintained trails, and lack of anything resembling the Yosemite rat race all makes it far more appealing than the valley.

I understand the visit-as-pilgrimage trip. But in terms of the quality-climbing-experiences-for-where-I'm-at-now trip, I just don't think Yos is the best option.

potreroed

Aug 30, 2010, 5:15 PM
Post #8 of 17 (10200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In 40+ years of climbing I've only been to The Valley once. Stayed a month, had a good time, have never had even the slightest desire to go back.
But as a climber it is definitely worth one visit.

i_h8_choss

Aug 30, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #9 of 17 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

devkrev wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

I understand the visit-as-pilgrimage trip. But in terms of the quality-climbing-experiences-for-where-I'm-at-now trip, I just don't think Yos is the best option.

You list your occupation as a 'Slacker'

Now the pieces of the puzzle are coming together.

Not only are you gonna die.......
but you're freakin lazy tooPirateSly

mojomonkey

Aug 30, 2010, 6:42 PM
Post #10 of 17 (10130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

devkrev wrote:

You might say that I am missing out, but I guess I have a certain tolerance for how many hoops I need to jump through to climb somewhere.

Since I can't lead 5.11 (yet), and I don't have the experience/inclination for big walls, I'm not really interested in Yosemite.

When I see guides for "top roping yosemite" and "bouldering in yosemite" I just chuckle, because I feel like if your not there for the best that location has to offer, then whats the point?

Make sure you get around to posting your disinterest in all of the regional sites listed on rc.com that you have heard of and don't want to go to.

Partner devkrev

Aug 30, 2010, 7:14 PM
Post #11 of 17 (10115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] The more I hear about it..... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
devkrev wrote:

Make sure you get around to posting your disinterest in all of the regional sites listed on rc.com that you have heard of and don't want to go to.

That would take much too much time. And as the previous poster noted, I'm a slacker.

And thank you for adding meaningful input into this discussion Wink

dynosore

Aug 30, 2010, 8:36 PM
Post #12 of 17 (10078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The high country is most definitely worth climbing in, and you certainly don't need to lead 5.11 to get on some great climbs.

dingus

Aug 30, 2010, 9:03 PM
Post #13 of 17 (10061 views)
Shortcut

Re: The more I hear about it..... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm curious - what area (you haven't visited) do you reckon would be a better bang for your buck, at this stage of your career?

Cheers
DMT

Partner devkrev

Aug 30, 2010, 9:39 PM
Post #14 of 17 (10042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] The more I hear about it..... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cannon, NH.

Few bucks (for my location, its like 2 hours away), lotta bang (then again, that may be the cliffs falling down).

Poko-moonshine, Adirondacks.

These are all places I haven't been, that are a logistic walk in the park compared to Yos.

Lets say I had a month to do nothing but climb, I would probably head to the Red River Gorge.

dev

dingus

Aug 30, 2010, 9:46 PM
Post #15 of 17 (10037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on, thanks. Yes given your location I wouldn't recommend a climbing vacation to be spent just in Yosemite Valley - but a couple of days in the Valley, a couple of days in the Meadows and a couple days of just being tourist I think could ring your bell.

I say - at some point in your career, if you get the chance, visit Yosemite to SEE Yosemite and if you can get some good climbing in as well, huge bonus.

Enjoy Pok O!

DMT

caughtinside

Aug 30, 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #16 of 17 (10015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you've got some fair points. I don't hit the valley much because of 1)crowds and 2) too much work to camp.

That said, I do try to hit it off season. It is way mellow off season, although that does limit your route choices.

The thing about yosemite, is it has the long routes. If you want to do long routes, it is the place. Generally approaches are pretty mellow.

The Red is rad, one of the greatest climbing areas I've ever seen. It's apples and oranges to Yosemite though. Same for Indian Creek. Beautiful areas with unique climbing styles that are hard to compare. Sure, you can have a preference for one style over the other, but I don't think you can honestly go to any of those areas and say they suck if you are any kind of a climber.

i_h8_choss

Aug 30, 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #17 of 17 (10011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm compiling a list.

-3rd pillar of Dana
-regular route on Fairview
-Astroman
-something on Middle Cathedral

enticing at all?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register