Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

ckirkwood9

Sep 7, 2010, 5:55 PM
Post #1 of 149 (6672 views)
Shortcut

Gunks - Climber Etiquette FAIL
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's the setup:

We're a party of Three - 2 trad leaders - one with 30 years experience the other leader (me) with 7-8 years experience, finally 1 newbie with 6 days experience.

Trad leader with most experience leads a very popular 5.6 in the Gunks (frog's head) with the intention of setting up a TR for newbie to gain experience/confidence.

Leader 1 finishes route VERY quickly (it IS a 5.6), is lowered from anchor, gear is still in place.

Leader 2 is belaying TR for newbie climber, who is dealing with typical-newbie-climber issues BUT is climbing well and fairly quickly for a new climber.

Newbie climber is 3/4 the way up said route.

Meanwhile group of 3 walk up to base of route 5 feet from me and racks up to climb.

me: (friendly) Hi guys... what are you getting on?
them: Frog's Head
me: Ah, well... we just got on it
them: We'll climb around
me: Oh. Well would you mind waiting? The climber is pretty new and might get nervous if you try to climb around.
them: She won't even know I’m there
me: Ummmmm, yea... she will. She's really new and is not very confident yet, would you mind waiting for her to finish the route?
them: (discussion amongst them)
them: (tying in seemingly to climb frog's head)
me: (still friendly) So would you mind waiting till she's done, besides my gear is still in place, if you wait, i'll run up it really quickly and pull my gear, then you can have at it.
them: (Ignoring me)
them: (leader about to climb)
me: (incredulously) You're NOT going to wait for me to pull my gear?
them: We're going to be nice and climb the route NEXT to you
(side note: both routes share the first 20 feet or so)
me: Can you please wait till I pull my gear; I don't want to get our gear mixed up. We JUST got here, the leader put up the route, my climber is just finishing the route and I’ve not even gotten on it yet.
their
leader: I’m not going to use any gear in your route

their leader proceeds to climb the first 15 feet of Frog's Head and is standing on top of
the first block with no protection in...
their belayer stumbles backwards a foot or 2 pulling the rope **A little** ALMOST pulling leader off the block
leader feels this and yells "whoa"

I have mixed feelings at this, but say nothing.

me: Ya know, I don't mind sharing the route or anchors at all,
I just want to be sure my climber is safe and our gear doesn't get mixed up
I mean... come on... we were all new climbers at one time or another, have a little compassion.

them: Well climber etiquette says any leader climbs through any top rope setup.
me: Hmmm... i'm not so sure about that.

They climb away and follow a route to the right,
eventually climbing ABOVE a party of 5 that's are set up a few routes to the right,
setting an anchor to do the 2nd pitch.

... the party of 5 was never ASKED by the party of 3 that their intention was to do so.

SOOO I ask you all.

Was I being unreasonable by asking the party of 3 to wait?

1) They never asked to share the route
2) I still hadn't gotten on the route
3) (though they didn't know this because they didn't ask), we had no plans of
setting up camp and hogging the route... we were all going to do it once and move on
4) When arriving at a climb that's currently occupied, I’ve always asked the people ahead of me if they minded if we climbed below them once they've set off on the 2nd pitch, but would NEVER assume I could get on a route that they're actively climbing.

Anyway - just wanted to get some feedback. I think they were seriously in the wrong here.

olderic

Sep 7, 2010, 6:28 PM
Post #2 of 149 (6627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] Gunks - Climber Etiquette FAIL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know I'll get flamed by the majority - but you did ask for feedback Smile For me at the Gunks leading DOES trump top roping and faster moving DOES trump slower moving - which usually translates to smaller parties passing larger ones. I know in practice it doesn't always - in fact now a days rarely - plays out that way. Unless you are a local going after work on a week day I don't think the Gunks is the place to be teaching a newbie the real basics of climbing - mullti pitch trad sure but just "how to climb" not so much. especilaly on one of the most popular moderate leadable areas in the Gunks on a weekend - but maybe this incident wasn't on a weekend. I would think doing one of the longer more remote climbs - northern or souther piller, blueberry ledges, etc - with your new climber would have been a happier experience for all concerened.

On the other hand I wouldn't have climbed through like your antagonists did but would have walked away mutttering.

TradEddie

Sep 7, 2010, 6:30 PM
Post #3 of 149 (6615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Typical mis-interpretation of the Gunks etiquette... Leader Priority is not a carte blanche to take over a top roped climb.
But if all they wanted was 20ft of 'your' route, and your climber was nearly at the top, was it worth getting worked up about?

TE

carabiner96

Sep 7, 2010, 6:38 PM
Post #4 of 149 (6597 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TradEddie] Gunks - Climber Etiquette FAIL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

TradEddie wrote:
Typical mis-interpretation of the Gunks etiquette... Leader Priority is not a carte blanche to take over a top roped climb.
But if all they wanted was 20ft of 'your' route, and your climber was nearly at the top, was it worth getting worked up about?

TE

Or for the second group to just chill the hell out for 10 minutes? Works both ways.

jakedatc

Sep 7, 2010, 6:41 PM
Post #5 of 149 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ooo.. the clusterfuck at the Maria vs Maria direct P1 anchor probably would have been a great photo.. that little stance is small enough with 1 party let alone 2.

Kartessa

Sep 7, 2010, 6:47 PM
Post #6 of 149 (6567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll side with you on this one...

I don't care where you are or what day it is. If someone is on a climb that you wanna do, you ask *POLITELY* what they're doing and how long they plan on being there.

If you come up when I've got a TR, I'll either tell ya "Be done in 15, 20, 30min" or "I'm taking a break, you have a go"

Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but I've never encountered anything close to that, EVER. If my party shows up and the climb is taken, we'll either find something else or just hang out and shoot the shit until it's our turn.

Basically, you tell those assholes that you got there first, you'll be done when you're done, there's 500 other climbs in the neibourhood and if they have a problem with that, DEAL WITH IT.

carabiner96

Sep 7, 2010, 6:48 PM
Post #7 of 149 (6563 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Gunks - Climber Etiquette FAIL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
ooo.. the clusterfuck at the Maria vs Maria direct P1 anchor probably would have been a great photo.. that little stance is small enough with 1 party let alone 2.

Just another Gunks picture that should have been taken but wasn't - hm???

Partner j_ung

Sep 7, 2010, 7:02 PM
Post #8 of 149 (6528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ckirkwood9 wrote:
Here's the setup:

We're a party of Three - 2 trad leaders - one with 30 years experience the other leader (me) with 7-8 years experience, finally 1 newbie with 6 days experience.

Trad leader with most experience leads a very popular 5.6 in the Gunks (frog's head) with the intention of setting up a TR for newbie to gain experience/confidence.

Leader 1 finishes route VERY quickly (it IS a 5.6), is lowered from anchor, gear is still in place.

Leader 2 is belaying TR for newbie climber, who is dealing with typical-newbie-climber issues BUT is climbing well and fairly quickly for a new climber.

Newbie climber is 3/4 the way up said route.

Meanwhile group of 3 walk up to base of route 5 feet from me and racks up to climb.

me: (friendly) Hi guys... what are you getting on?
them: Frog's Head
me: Ah, well... we just got on it
them: We'll climb around
me: Oh. Well would you mind waiting? The climber is pretty new and might get nervous if you try to climb around.
them: She won't even know I’m there
me: Ummmmm, yea... she will. She's really new and is not very confident yet, would you mind waiting for her to finish the route?
them: (discussion amongst them)
them: (tying in seemingly to climb frog's head)
me: (still friendly) So would you mind waiting till she's done, besides my gear is still in place, if you wait, i'll run up it really quickly and pull my gear, then you can have at it.
them: (Ignoring me)
them: (leader about to climb)
me: (incredulously) You're NOT going to wait for me to pull my gear?
me: Can you please wait till I pull my gear; I don't want to get our gear mixed up. We JUST got here, the leader put up the route, my climber is just finishing the route and I’ve not even gotten on it yet.
their

their leader proceeds to climb the first 15 feet of Frog's Head and is standing on top of
the first block with no protection in...
their belayer stumbles backwards a foot or 2 pulling the rope **A little** ALMOST pulling leader off the block
leader feels this and yells "whoa"

I have mixed feelings at this, but say nothing.

me: Ya know, I don't mind sharing the route or anchors at all,
I just want to be sure my climber is safe and our gear doesn't get mixed up
I mean... come on... we were all new climbers at one time or another, have a little compassion.

them: Well climber etiquette says any leader climbs through any top rope setup.
me: Hmmm... i'm not so sure about that.

They climb away and follow a route to the right,
eventually climbing ABOVE a party of 5 that's are set up a few routes to the right,
setting an anchor to do the 2nd pitch.

... the party of 5 was never ASKED by the party of 3 that their intention was to do so.

SOOO I ask you all.

Was I being unreasonable by asking the party of 3 to wait?

1) They never asked to share the route
2) I still hadn't gotten on the route
3) (though they didn't know this because they didn't ask), we had no plans of
setting up camp and hogging the route... we were all going to do it once and move on
4) When arriving at a climb that's currently occupied, I’ve always asked the people ahead of me if they minded if we climbed below them once they've set off on the 2nd pitch, but would NEVER assume I could get on a route that they're actively climbing.

Anyway - just wanted to get some feedback. I think they were seriously in the wrong here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: everything you need to know about the etiquette of climbing you learned in grade school. It sounds like you made an effort to be polite and accommodating, and they opted to give primacy to a non-existent rule of some sort. Win to you.

TradEddie

Sep 7, 2010, 7:05 PM
Post #9 of 149 (6519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Gunks - Climber Etiquette FAIL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:

Or for the second group to just chill the hell out for 10 minutes? Works both ways.

100% agree, but unfortunately worse rudeness than this happens at the Gunks most weekends. If someone insists on being a dick, and you are unable to dissuade them, as long as it isn't dangerous, you need to get over it. Righteous indignation won't help you climb better.

TE

Arrogant_Bastard

Sep 7, 2010, 7:07 PM
Post #10 of 149 (6511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you were justified in your stance and reaction to the situation. Up till this point:

ckirkwood9 wrote:
their

I don't see why that should have affected you at all.

carabiner96

Sep 7, 2010, 7:08 PM
Post #11 of 149 (6508 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TradEddie wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

100% agree, but unfortunately worse rudeness than this happens at the Gunks most weekends. If someone insists on being a dick, and you are unable to dissuade them, as long as it isn't dangerous, you need to get over it. Righteous indignation won't help you climb better.

TE

I agree, it sounds as though the OP didn't push it and is just venting here, rather than cam munch the guy in the nuts.

jt512

Sep 7, 2010, 7:12 PM
Post #12 of 149 (6491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Gunks - Climber Etiquette FAIL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
I think you were justified in your stance and reaction to the situation. Up till this point:

ckirkwood9 wrote:
their

+1

jakedatc

Sep 7, 2010, 7:23 PM
Post #13 of 149 (6462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Gunks - Climber Etiquette FAIL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:

ckirkwood9 wrote:
their

+1

True, but went on to become the jerks on the other route. P1 of Maria (route next to the route the OP was on) is a R>L traverse to a very small anchor stance. To which it seems another group was doing Maria Direct which goes to the same anchor..

Arrogant_Bastard

Sep 7, 2010, 7:26 PM
Post #14 of 149 (6454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Gunks - Climber Etiquette FAIL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:

ckirkwood9 wrote:
their

+1

I will add, that they were being rude and such a situation could make one feel compelled to be rude back. But in a situation where people were being polite I see no reason why someone wouldn't allow a party to solo through 20 feet of 5.6, while their party was on TR far above, so that they could climb the next route over.

Arrogant_Bastard

Sep 7, 2010, 7:33 PM
Post #15 of 149 (6428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:

ckirkwood9 wrote:
their

+1

True, but went on to become the jerks on the other route. P1 of Maria (route next to the route the OP was on) is a R>L traverse to a very small anchor stance. To which it seems another group was doing Maria Direct which goes to the same anchor..

I know the Gunks has a lot of 2-pitch routes, and probably has it's own etiquette because of it... but the OPs comment about never assuming permission to climb a multipitch route if someone was already on it higher up struck me as odd. It's standard fare to start up on a MP once the party clears the first pitch on the West Coast. Caveat Emptor, as you have a party above you, but giving "ownership" of a multipitch route to the first party is simply unmanageable in most places here.

brianri

Sep 7, 2010, 7:35 PM
Post #16 of 149 (6422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

The bottom line is you were top-roping a super poplular route. It doesn't matter how fast you were. There are routes you can top-rope without tying up a popular trad line. Those routes are where you should have brought the beginner. IMHO

Arrogant_Bastard

Sep 7, 2010, 7:47 PM
Post #17 of 149 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brianri] Gunks - Climber Etiquette FAIL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

brianri wrote:
The bottom line is you were top-roping a super poplular route. It doesn't matter how fast you were. There are routes you can top-rope without tying up a popular trad line. Those routes are where you should have brought the beginner. IMHO

A lot of people think their opinions as leaders hold more weight than that of someone topropping. A lot of people also think that their opinion as a 5.11 climber holds more weight than you as a 5.9 climber. Doesn't make either correct.

redlude97

Sep 7, 2010, 7:48 PM
Post #18 of 149 (6396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:

ckirkwood9 wrote:
their

+1

Isn't having a party of 5 on a popular multipitch route poor climbing etiquette as well? It is here on the west coast in my experience

Kartessa

Sep 7, 2010, 7:57 PM
Post #19 of 149 (6370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
brianri wrote:

A lot of people think their opinions as leaders hold more weight than that of someone topropping. A lot of people also think that their opinion as a 5.11 climber holds more weight than you as a 5.9 climber. Doesn't make either correct.

+1

olderic

Sep 7, 2010, 8:00 PM
Post #20 of 149 (6361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
route. P1 of Maria (route next to the route the OP was on) is a R>L traverse to a very small anchor stance.

Traverse to L>R - or else you will rend up on City Lights. Actually that might solve a lot of problems..

brianri

Sep 7, 2010, 8:01 PM
Post #21 of 149 (6358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

[quote "Arrogant_Bastard
I agree with you. Doesn't matter how hard you climb to have a valid opinion. The accepted etiquette at the Gunks has always been you don't top-rope trad lines or you at least get out of the way of trad climbers, especially on super popular three star trad climbs like Frogs Head. It is generally a trad climbing area. There are some top roping areas there that can be utilized, Jumping on one of the most traveled trad lines there and top-roping it is just bad judgment.

olderic

Sep 7, 2010, 8:01 PM
Post #22 of 149 (6358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
brianri wrote:

That's your opinion

vegastradguy

Sep 7, 2010, 8:09 PM
Post #23 of 149 (6339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brianri] Gunks - Climber Etiquette FAIL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brianri wrote:
"Arrogant_Bastard wrote:

I agree with you. Doesn't matter how hard you climb to have a valid opinion. The accepted etiquette at the Gunks has always been you don't top-rope trad lines or you at least get out of the way of trad climbers, especially on super popular three star trad climbs like Frogs Head. It is generally a trad climbing area. There are some top roping areas there that can be utilized, Jumping on one of the most traveled trad lines there and top-roping it is just bad judgment.

perhaps they weren't following the standard local ethic, but thats really beside the point. the party of three were being douchebags, which doesnt really help anyone- they could have been more polite and had a little patience, and maybe even helped educate the OP on the local ethic- but god forbid we should actually be kind and help out people when we're on a mission to climb a two pitch route.

olderic

Sep 7, 2010, 8:37 PM
Post #24 of 149 (6298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Gunks - Climber Etiquette FAIL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
perhaps they weren't following the standard local ethic, but thats really beside the point. the party of three were being douchebags, which doesnt really help anyone- they could have been more polite and had a little patience, and maybe even helped educate the OP on the local ethic- but god forbid we should actually be kind and help out people when we're on a mission to climb a two pitch route.

There were two parties of 3. Maria is most often done as a 3 pitch climb. The OP doesn't come across here as willing to be educated. I imagine that was even more of the case in person.

Sorry Mr. Nice guy - 3 strikes.

jajen

Sep 7, 2010, 8:38 PM
Post #25 of 149 (6296 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
brianri wrote:

^ +100 ^

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook