RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

Rudmin

Sep 8, 2010, 8:35 PM
Post #1 of 13 (5591 views)
Shortcut

What makes ropes stretchy?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What makes a climbing rope different from a static rope? I read on Wikipedia that the core strands are chopped into shorter lengths:
In reply to:
In dynamic climbing line, the core fibres are usually twisted, and chopped into shorter lengths which makes the rope more stretchy.

This sounds vaguely plausible but also kind of made up. Does anybody know what physical mechanism makes a rope dynamic? Is anybody in the rope industry?

kennoyce

Sep 8, 2010, 9:12 PM
Post #2 of 13 (5570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] What makes ropes stretchy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

[WARNING]I'm not in the rope industry and probably don't have a clue what I'm talking about, so take this for what it's worth[/WARNING]

I highly doubt that any core fiber is chopped to any length within any dynamic or static rope used for climbing/rescue. I am fairly sure that the stretch comes from the twisting of the core strands in the rope. I think I have heard that rope manufacturers twist half the core strands in one direction, and half in the opposite direction to help keep the rope from wanting to twist as much. I would assume that the core strands in a static rope are much straighter and this is what makes them static. Obviously the nylon itself will still stretch which is why static lines do stretch some.

rock_fencer

Sep 8, 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #3 of 13 (5527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

going to go out on a limb here and say dynamics are made of some variation of Nylon 6,6 while statics are made from polyester which is less stretchy. i'm lazy and dont feel like looking it up, at the end of the day its the material properties. Things like the Kernmantle construction and the twisting of the core strands etc... add additional ability to stretch.

Partner drector

Sep 8, 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #4 of 13 (5516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] What makes ropes stretchy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
[WARNING]I'm not in the rope industry and probably don't have a clue what I'm talking about, so take this for what it's worth[/WARNING]

Then why bother to post?

kennoyce

Sep 8, 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #5 of 13 (5516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] What makes ropes stretchy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
going to go out on a limb here and say dynamics are made of some variation of Nylon 6,6 while statics are made from polyester which is less stretchy. i'm lazy and dont feel like looking it up, at the end of the day its the material properties. Things like the Kernmantle construction and the twisting of the core strands etc... add additional ability to stretch.

This is a good point, some static ropes are polyester (which has a higher modulus than nylonat 423 ksi vs. 400 ksi), but I think the majority of static ropes out there are nylon.

kennoyce

Sep 8, 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #6 of 13 (5514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drector] What makes ropes stretchy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drector wrote:
kennoyce wrote:

Then why bother to post?

Obviously because I'm board at work, why else?

rock_fencer

Sep 8, 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #7 of 13 (5507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] What makes ropes stretchy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

duh, do people come here when they aren't bored???

SterlingJim can chime in with the real reasons.

Partner drector

Sep 8, 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #8 of 13 (5505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From azom.com:

Modern Rope Construction
A modern dynamic climbing rope is made from continuous-drawn nylon yarns. A consequence of drawing the nylon is strengthening and stiffening as the molecular chains of this semi-crystalline polymer become orientated. These fibres can be spun to create high strength, low stretch ‘static’ rope, which is widely used in caving and industrial rope access where shock loading is unlikely and percentage elongation is required to be at a minimum.

Producing Desired Properties
To create a yarn with elastic properties suitable for arresting a fall safely, the drawn nylon is heat treated up to 120°C. Loss of chain orientation and strain-induced crystallinity as a result of the annealing process, gives the drawn nylon yarn a reduced Young’s modulus. This process increases the energy absorption properties of the yarn and reduces the impact force on the body during a fall.

From farrropesuk.com:

The Kern (inner core) can be made up of virtually straight parallel strands or a braided construction, more parallel strands reduce elasticity but is slightly stiffer, braided (basically meaning interwoven strands) is more elastic but is more flexible.

kennoyce

Sep 8, 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #9 of 13 (5504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] What makes ropes stretchy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
SterlingJim can chime in with the real reasons.

My thoughts exactly.

tower_climber

Sep 9, 2010, 4:42 AM
Post #10 of 13 (5446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From one of the premier SSRT manuals:

High-stretch (often referred to as dynamic) kernmantle ropes are composed of a braided sheath over a twisted core strand bundle.

Low-stretch (or static) ropes are constructed of a braided sheath over parallel continuous fibers of the inner core. Because of the core weave, the rope is designed not to spin, and to stretch only minimally when tensioned.

(On Rope, Smith/Padgett 1996)

In dissecting ropes, I have found the preceding description to be accurate. Higher-stretching static ropes (PMI Access Pro, NER KMIII) have a slightly wrinkled set of core fibers. Extremely low-stretch rope (PMI Classic) has smooth and straight core fibers. Dynamic ropes have core fibers that are separated into bundles (8-12 bundles total) and each bundle is twisted. The rope resists twisting while loaded because; a, the kernmantle construction discourages it and, b, the core bundles are not twisted with each other.

wiki

Sep 10, 2010, 2:27 AM
Post #11 of 13 (5349 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tower_climber] What makes ropes stretchy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tower_climber wrote:
From one of the premier SSRT manuals:

High-stretch (often referred to as dynamic) kernmantle ropes are composed of a braided sheath over a twisted core strand bundle.

Low-stretch (or static) ropes are constructed of a braided sheath over parallel continuous fibers of the inner core. Because of the core weave, the rope is designed not to spin, and to stretch only minimally when tensioned.

(On Rope, Smith/Padgett 1996)

In dissecting ropes, I have found the preceding description to be accurate. Higher-stretching static ropes (PMI Access Pro, NER KMIII) have a slightly wrinkled set of core fibers. Extremely low-stretch rope (PMI Classic) has smooth and straight core fibers. Dynamic ropes have core fibers that are separated into bundles (8-12 bundles total) and each bundle is twisted. The rope resists twisting while loaded because; a, the kernmantle construction discourages it and, b, the core bundles are not twisted with each other.

Yep.

From my experience, the core in a static (semi-dynamic static??? around 5% stretch anyway...) rope is braided (usually 10 or so braids) but I am guessing that has the same effect as parallel strands (i.e. can't twist).

vegastradguy

Sep 10, 2010, 2:53 AM
Post #12 of 13 (5336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] What makes ropes stretchy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try reading this to get a better idea of how ropes are made.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...actory_Tour_864.html

wiki

Sep 10, 2010, 7:55 AM
Post #13 of 13 (5285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] What makes ropes stretchy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool article... Thanks!
Should have got a rope at the end of it though Tongue

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook