RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

rat-baby

Sep 13, 2010, 9:06 PM
Post #1 of 6 (9485 views)
Shortcut

strained lateral band
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any body ever get diagnosed with a strained lateral band in a finger? I just did. I was wondering what yours felt like when it happened and how long it took to feel better.
The Lateral band, from my understanding, is the tendon that runs on the top of the finger, but is split to run around the side of the PIP, or big joint.
Thanks, Rich

onceahardman

Sep 13, 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #2 of 6 (9469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rat-baby] strained lateral band [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rat-baby wrote:
Any body ever get diagnosed with a strained lateral band in a finger? I just did. I was wondering what yours felt like when it happened and how long it took to feel better.
The Lateral band, from my understanding, is the tendon that runs on the top of the finger, but is split to run around the side of the PIP, or big joint.
Thanks, Rich

The lateral band is a little teeny combined tendon, composed of the lateral (or radial) slips from extensor digitorum communis, and the lateral slip from the corresponding lumbrical. It is part of the extensor mechanism of the finger.

As a climber, my instincts suggest you have a lumbrical injury, which is quite common in climbers. I've referenced a pretty good study before, a search of "lumbrical injuries in climbers" should be fruitful.

4-12 weeks, dependeing on severity, age, nutrition, level of care, and your own natural propensity for healing. Keep it moving. Don't immobilize it unless further testing reveals more damage, or unless your normal workday is likely to cause further damage. If so, immobilize during the workday, then remove immobilizer and exercise (AROM) as soon as you get home.

This link seems to be working:

http://www.klatring.no/...aM%3D&tabid=5929

Edit #2: here is a drawing: (if anybody knows how to open this and post it here for future reference, I'd be grateful!)

http://www.wheelessonline.com/image2/phl1.jpg

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Sep 13, 2010, 11:30 PM)

spikeddem

Sep 14, 2010, 3:41 PM
Post #3 of 6 (9434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] strained lateral band [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
rat-baby wrote:
Thanks, Rich

The lateral band is a little teeny combined tendon, composed of the lateral (or radial) slips from extensor digitorum communis, and the lateral slip from the corresponding lumbrical. It is part of the extensor mechanism of the finger.

As a climber, my instincts suggest you have a lumbrical injury, which is quite common in climbers. I've referenced a pretty good study before, a search of "lumbrical injuries in climbers" should be fruitful.

4-12 weeks, dependeing on severity, age, nutrition, level of care, and your own natural propensity for healing. Keep it moving. Don't immobilize it unless further testing reveals more damage, or unless your normal workday is likely to cause further damage. If so, immobilize during the workday, then remove immobilizer and exercise (AROM) as soon as you get home.

This link seems to be working:

http://www.klatring.no/...aM%3D&tabid=5929

Edit #2: here is a drawing: (if anybody knows how to open this and post it here for future reference, I'd be grateful!)

That what you're looking for?

(This post was edited by spikeddem on Sep 14, 2010, 3:41 PM)

spikeddem

Sep 14, 2010, 3:43 PM
Post #4 of 6 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] strained lateral band [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just realized maybe you meant a permanent RC link...here

(This post was edited by spikeddem on Sep 14, 2010, 3:43 PM)
Attachments: phl1.jpg (19.7 KB)

rat-baby

Sep 14, 2010, 9:49 PM
Post #5 of 6 (9409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] strained lateral band [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no, I think it is more in the lateral band. It hurts in extension more than anything. If I push against the finger nail and try to lift the finger up it gets me pretty good. Pulling down or crimping only feels strange for a second, some times, and I think it is more from slight sideways loading on the finger.

onceahardman

Sep 15, 2010, 10:49 AM
Post #6 of 6 (9389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rat-baby] strained lateral band [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What I mean is, I'd bet the injury occurred while you were loading the lumbrical, and thus the lumbrical componenet of the lateral band is where the injury occurred. It would be hard to overload the extensor component doing any kind of climbing.

But I'm really just speculating.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook