RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

Ronadon

Sep 13, 2010, 3:53 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5353 views)
Shortcut

Hidden Rocks, VA?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My climbing partner and I tried to go to Hidden Rocks near Harrisonburg on Saturday afternoon but the road was blocked and we were told we couldn't go in. The person working the road block said that someone had fallen or something on the rocks and they were trying to do a rescue. Anyone know what happened?

notapplicable

Sep 14, 2010, 2:07 PM
Post #2 of 8 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ronadon] Hidden Rocks, VA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I made a phone call and checked the local news and didn't come up with anything.

That is a narrow road so there's a fair chance that the place being on lockdown wasn't a reflection of the severity of the accident, but just an overreaction on the part of the FS in an attempt to control traffic. At least I hope that was the case...

zimage

Sep 14, 2010, 4:43 PM
Post #3 of 8 (5161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Hidden Rocks, VA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From a facebook conversation:

Status: Yesterday’s rock climbing adventure at Hidden Rocks ended with <someone> being carried 25 minutes down the steep, rocky trail in a stretcher with a concussion, head laceration, broken collar bone and multiple abrasions. Desperately hoping that tonight’s concert yields no injuries.

Me: So glad to hear she's ok. Things can go bad really quickly on the wall. As a former avid rock climber, I'm really interested in knowing how this accident occurred. Human error? Equipment failure? Were you top-roping, sport climbing, or trad climbing?

Friend: Top roping. It was a simple mistake of putting her feet together, which turned her feet into a pivot point and she spun out of control.

zimage

Sep 14, 2010, 4:45 PM
Post #4 of 8 (5158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zimage] Hidden Rocks, VA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe they were rappelling and not top-rope climbing, though.

gojiclimber

Sep 14, 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #5 of 8 (5118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ronadon] Hidden Rocks, VA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at Hidden Rocks working with the party when the incident occurred on 9.11. At the top of the route snowblower
two rappel ropes were being managed by guides. Both ropes were set up with releasable rappels on a static line and belayed with a dynamic rope down.
The climber became nervous stepping over the edge, slipped left of observers and spun several times, striking their head on the rocks.
Certified guides responded by activating a beacon, calling 911, and repelling down to the unconscious climber and confirmed her condition. A collar was improvised and 3:1 pulley system constructed after determining raising was most suitable.
The climber became pain responsive in 5 min and verbally responsive in 10 min. After being stabilized at the top of the cliff, EMS arrived shortly after to carry the patient out. The patient had no TBI, a laceration to the back of the head and shoulder injury.
We wish the climber a speedy recovery and are thankfully the incident was not worse than it was.

notapplicable

Sep 15, 2010, 4:11 AM
Post #6 of 8 (5062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gojiclimber] Hidden Rocks, VA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gojiclimber wrote:
I was at Hidden Rocks working with the party when the incident occurred on 9.11. At the top of the route snowblower
two rappel ropes were being managed by guides. Both ropes were set up with releasable rappels on a static line and belayed with a dynamic rope down.
The climber became nervous stepping over the edge, slipped left of observers and spun several times, striking their head on the rocks.
Certified guides responded by activating a beacon, calling 911, and repelling down to the unconscious climber and confirmed her condition. A collar was improvised and 3:1 pulley system constructed after determining raising was most suitable.
The climber became pain responsive in 5 min and verbally responsive in 10 min. After being stabilized at the top of the cliff, EMS arrived shortly after to carry the patient out. The patient had no TBI, a laceration to the back of the head and shoulder injury.
We wish the climber a speedy recovery and are thankfully the incident was not worse than it was.

Yikes. At least it sounds like she is going to be ok.

Two questions. Was she wearing a helmet? Was this the JMU club?

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Sep 15, 2010, 4:12 AM)

cragmasterp

Sep 15, 2010, 4:55 AM
Post #7 of 8 (5044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Hidden Rocks, VA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

geesh. i sure hope she was wearing a helmet. can't imagine she wouldn't be if she was being instructed by "certified guides".

Sounds like my old haunt Hidden ain't so hidden any more.

Pyro_mvmc_va

Sep 17, 2010, 1:53 PM
Post #8 of 8 (4896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cragmasterp] Hidden Rocks, VA? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cragmansterp you are right about Hidden not being Hidden anymore. It is really strange to be up their and have tons of people. It is also really starting to show the wear on the environment now also.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook