Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Site Update 9/16/2010
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

gitchy42

Sep 16, 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1298 views)
Shortcut

Site Update 9/16/2010  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Portland_Metro_Area: Waterboard_City_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I visited Waterboard Park today looking for a decent spot to set up some TR routes for young climbers. Unfortunately there are no safe ways to access the top of what would be considered a good climb. Also, there is a bunch of English Ivy streaming down from the tops of the rocks that would make climbing most of the rocks there unpleasant (ivy pull anyone?).

I did find an area with basalt pillars that were clean that would make for an interesting crack/lead climb, however short it is (30-35'). This area was nearly at the end of the "main trail".

woodsman102

Mar 1, 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gitchy42] Site Update 9/16/2010 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't find much information on getting to the park, or finding any of the rocks/climbing when I got there.

Could you help me out?

gitchy42

Mar 1, 2011, 5:56 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [woodsman102] Site Update 9/16/2010 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The park straddles what used to be a road the went down the bluff, which is now called Water Board Park Rd (at least on google maps). There are two good access points to the park. Which one you go to depends on whether you want to go uphill or downhill when you are done. As you enter the park, follow the road until you come to a large crack across the road, there should be a turn-out near there with large boulders, the trail starts there. The climbing is on the basalt cliffs.

From the top you access it at the intersection of Creed St and Promontory Ave: http://maps.google.com/...regon+97045&z=16

From the bottom you access it from the old OC Armory.
This map isn't exact, but it should give you the basic idea of where to go: http://maps.google.com/...regon+97045&z=16

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook