RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

sambroadley

Sep 16, 2010, 6:54 PM
Post #1 of 12 (3627 views)
Shortcut

quick!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i am going climbing outdoors on saturday and a have a blister on the end of my finger since monday after buring myself souldering (if thats how you spell it). its better than it was but wonderd what to do ...fast!

Lbrombach

Sep 16, 2010, 6:57 PM
Post #2 of 12 (3623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sambroadley] quick! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bet it'll be perfectly tolerable by saturday.

shoo

Sep 16, 2010, 6:58 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

sambroadley wrote:
i am going climbing outdoors on saturday and a have a blister on the end of my finger since monday after buring myself souldering (if thats how you spell it). its better than it was but wonderd what to do ...fast!

Cut off the finger.

jbro_135

Sep 16, 2010, 6:58 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hope it heals? then tape it?

sambroadley

Sep 16, 2010, 7:11 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] quick! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

should i pop it if it has NOT improved on saturday?

Partner drector

Sep 16, 2010, 7:23 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sambroadley wrote:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=souldering

It would be just as quick to look it up and then know it for the rest of your life than to type "if thats how you spell it"[sic] in your message.

tehbillzor

Sep 16, 2010, 8:44 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having experienced numerous soldering and welding burns i would recommend trying to climb on it the way it is, and only pop and tape it if you feel it will help you. It is always better to leave blisters closed rather than open.

fxgranite

Sep 17, 2010, 12:10 AM
Post #8 of 12 (3461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tehbillzor] quick! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tehbillzor wrote:
Having experienced numerous soldering and welding burns i would recommend trying to climb on it the way it is, and only pop and tape it if you feel it will help you. It is always better to leave blisters closed rather than open.

I always lance mine especially if the blister is in a spot that is likely to be hit again. I reason that it is better for me to lance it under mostly sterile conditions rather than to have it tear open somewhere. I've found that the dead skin on top can actually reattach fairly well too if you do it right.

If someone with some medical experience could chime in I'd be interested to hear a response. A quick interwebz search yields both sides of the argument. The only pro leave-it-alone stuff I can find revolve around keeping it from getting infected, which is not hard to do if you're careful and lance it.

altelis

Sep 18, 2010, 5:20 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fxgranite] quick! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fxgranite wrote:
tehbillzor wrote:

I always lance mine especially if the blister is in a spot that is likely to be hit again. I reason that it is better for me to lance it under mostly sterile conditions rather than to have it tear open somewhere. I've found that the dead skin on top can actually reattach fairly well too if you do it right.

If someone with some medical experience could chime in I'd be interested to hear a response. A quick interwebz search yields both sides of the argument. The only pro leave-it-alone stuff I can find revolve around keeping it from getting infected, which is not hard to do if you're careful and lance it.

So you lance something that has a protective cover under "mostly sterile conditions", so it can then be open without full cover to mostly unsterile conditions?

Not saying your tactic is wrong, your reasoning just seems sorta screwy...

Lbrombach

Sep 19, 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] quick! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I lance almost all of my blisters... you get some usage back immediately. The tiny hole is self-sealing in short order, and before that you just put a dab of neosporin and a bandaid on it. The important thing is that when you lance you keep things clean like the man said, that's when any micro-ickys on the needle would be introduced far beyond the outermost part of the skin. Yeah - any Doc will tell you to let stuff heal on it's own, you could die of infection, the fluid is there to lubricate and promote healing, blah blah blah...but those prudes also tell us not to run with scissors.

altelis

Sep 19, 2010, 7:57 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lbrombach] quick! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like I had said, I had always been taught (by friends, instructors, in WFA/WFR/WEMT courses) that if the probability was high that the blister would pop you should lance and drain a blister. And the reasoning is often, though not always, that you should lance it in as sterile conditions as possible to help prevent infection, similar to the reasoning you gave.

This never really sat well with me. The advice, to lance them, seemed right but the reasoning always seemed funny.

So I did a brief literature search, and it seems the reasoning offered is NOT correct. Most articles came out of adventure racing or the military, and most articles did recommend lancing a blister. And infection was kind of a reason, but not at all how you explained.

Seems that the best way to promote healing and to ward off infection is to leave the floor and roof of the blister intact. The more intact the faster the healing and the less chance for infection. Contrary to what I would have thought, good apposition of the roof and floor helps with healing. Having the roof present and apposed does increase healing time, suggesting its not just a "dead lump of skin" Similar idea, but not quite the same.

Interestingly, the "course of treatment" most often encouraged was to EITHER lance and drain the blister once within the 1st 24 hrs or twice within 24-36.

If the blisters tears or the roof cannot otherwise be kept intact after lancing, its best to remove the entirety of the roof.

And keep them covered. Esp for foot blisters, keeping them covered with similar tactics used in blister prevention, also helped encourage healing, promote good apposition of the tissue, and minimized infection.

Cool stuff.

tehbillzor

Sep 20, 2010, 4:32 PM
Post #12 of 12 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sambroadley wrote:
so what did you end up doing?

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook