Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

 


USnavy


Sep 17, 2010, 3:03 AM
Post #1 of 17 (7306 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2667

Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://io9.com/...-the-name-of-science

In my experience as a welder OSHA is generally fairly uptight. I cant believe OSHA allows the workers to work off belay, especially while carrying a 30 lbs. haul bag. Crazy


(This post was edited by USnavy on Sep 17, 2010, 3:05 AM)


Express


Sep 17, 2010, 5:32 AM
Post #2 of 17 (7253 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 15, 2010
Posts: 64

Re: [USnavy] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is insane! These guys must have a death wish.

I had a job running tests on water towers last summer, and safety was always the first concern. We had helmets and full body harnesses with a pair of industrial autolocking biners attached to bungees that you would alternately clip as you ascended the ladder. There was always at least one device holding the person to the tower, and 2 during rests. We would also set up a pulley or hitch to haul and lower gear rather than bang it into everything and risk getting stuck while ascending.


dynosore


Sep 17, 2010, 6:47 AM
Post #3 of 17 (7203 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 29, 2004
Posts: 1768

Re: [USnavy] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I find it very hard to believe OSHA approves of their methods.....in the plant I worked in if you went above 6 feet on a ladder you needed a harness.

That guy has guts for sure, I'd wear a parachute if I had that job, seriously. Anyone know how low you can deploy at and have time for it to work?
A few hundred feet?


julio412


Sep 17, 2010, 6:51 AM
Post #4 of 17 (7197 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 16, 2005
Posts: 144

Re: [USnavy] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First off- I can't see the video( China); but I can tell you this , that;after over 7 years in the industry; there are elevators on MOST(!) towers over 700'.
Most tower guys smoke, drink and eat bad, so climbing a a tower beyond say, 400'; leaves a guy all but worthless.
Yes; there is a lot of cowboys in the industry, but they disappear after awhile.
Before the who-raws begin, I would be willing to bet; this video is a rig.
Mario


bustloose


Sep 17, 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #5 of 17 (7113 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 10, 2003
Posts: 489

Re: [julio412] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

there is a reason you don't see their faces - they don't want to get fired. this is either set up to make buddy look hardcore, or he's an idiot and is not "within guidelines" and made this video to show off.

safety is always priority one.


edm


Sep 17, 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #6 of 17 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 27, 2007
Posts: 47

Re: [julio412] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

julio412 wrote:
First off- I can't see the video( China); but I can tell you this , that;after over 7 years in the industry; there are elevators on MOST(!) towers over 700'.

The video said he rode an elevator to 1600 ft and climbed the remainder.


cragmasterp


Sep 18, 2010, 9:09 PM
Post #7 of 17 (6969 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2003
Posts: 278

Re: [USnavy] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Pretty cool video, I like the parachute idea after watching this. Ballsy. Hauling that bag like that seems pretty dumb tho.


moose_droppings


Sep 18, 2010, 9:17 PM
Post #8 of 17 (6961 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 7, 2005
Posts: 3371

Re: [USnavy] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That clip is just as real as this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wAjpMP5eyo


milesenoell


Sep 18, 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #9 of 17 (6926 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 19, 2006
Posts: 1156

Re: [USnavy] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Maybe the vid was shot by base jumpers and the narration was just for fun? It would definitely be tall enough.


OCD


Sep 19, 2010, 6:55 AM
Post #10 of 17 (6851 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 28, 2010
Posts: 45

Re: [USnavy] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thats crazy!


marc801


Sep 19, 2010, 8:51 AM
Post #11 of 17 (6825 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2806

Re: [dynosore] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
That guy has guts for sure, I'd wear a parachute if I had that job, seriously. Anyone know how low you can deploy at and have time for it to work?
A few hundred feet?
With an immediately deployed chute (meaning the pilot chute is in your hand when you jump and is tossed at the same time), the low limit is somewhere around 350' iirc. So on a 1700' tower, there's plenty of time. The difficulties would be not tumbling if you fall and getting away from the tower and the guy wires before deploying.


mheyman


Sep 19, 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #12 of 17 (6788 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 25, 2002
Posts: 607

Re: [marc801] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I doubt that you could “get away” from the guy lines before you open the chute, but you’d have to miss them both before and after you open the chute.

Note that at least one climber, Dean Potter, has carried a chute to solo in "the appropriate” circumstances. I am sure the decision for him was an easy one. He was already a base jumper, and he might have done the route sans chute anyway. For him the chute made perfect sense.


cruxstacean


Sep 19, 2010, 12:33 PM
Post #13 of 17 (6738 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 5, 2010
Posts: 174

Re: [mheyman] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mheyman wrote:
I doubt that you could “get away” from the guy lines before you open the chute, but you’d have to miss them both before and after you open the chute.

Note that at least one climber, Dean Potter, has carried a chute to solo in "the appropriate” circumstances. I am sure the decision for him was an easy one. He was already a base jumper, and he might have done the route sans chute anyway. For him the chute made perfect sense.

And more importantly he has actually fallen successfully using his basesolo system.


milesenoell


Sep 19, 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #14 of 17 (6637 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 19, 2006
Posts: 1156

Re: [cruxstacean] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cruxstacean wrote:
mheyman wrote:
I doubt that you could “get away” from the guy lines before you open the chute, but you’d have to miss them both before and after you open the chute.

Note that at least one climber, Dean Potter, has carried a chute to solo in "the appropriate” circumstances. I am sure the decision for him was an easy one. He was already a base jumper, and he might have done the route sans chute anyway. For him the chute made perfect sense.

And more importantly he has actually fallen successfully using his basesolo system.

Pictures?


USnavy


Sep 20, 2010, 3:41 AM
Post #15 of 17 (6620 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2667

Re: [milesenoell] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
cruxstacean wrote:
mheyman wrote:
I doubt that you could “get away” from the guy lines before you open the chute, but you’d have to miss them both before and after you open the chute.

Note that at least one climber, Dean Potter, has carried a chute to solo in "the appropriate” circumstances. I am sure the decision for him was an easy one. He was already a base jumper, and he might have done the route sans chute anyway. For him the chute made perfect sense.

And more importantly he has actually fallen successfully using his basesolo system.

Pictures?
Better. Video. In The Sharp End, there are many clips of him falling.


spikeddem


Sep 20, 2010, 8:03 AM
Post #16 of 17 (6546 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [USnavy] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
milesenoell wrote:
cruxstacean wrote:
mheyman wrote:
I doubt that you could “get away” from the guy lines before you open the chute, but you’d have to miss them both before and after you open the chute.

Note that at least one climber, Dean Potter, has carried a chute to solo in "the appropriate” circumstances. I am sure the decision for him was an easy one. He was already a base jumper, and he might have done the route sans chute anyway. For him the chute made perfect sense.

And more importantly he has actually fallen successfully using his basesolo system.

Pictures?
Better. Video. In The Sharp End, there are many clips of him falling.

Honestly, I just think it's gimmicky as all hell.


Urban_Cowboy


Sep 23, 2010, 5:21 AM
Post #17 of 17 (6373 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 2, 2009
Posts: 219

Re: [spikeddem] Free soloing a 1,700 foot antenna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

There was a time that being 100% tied into the structure was required. It was later changed to allow "free climbing" (again) because of the time and effort required caused more fatigue and injuries. I've been climbing antenna towers for almost 20 years now, much easier to free climb. I've never been on a tower with an elevator, heck they really only had to climb 168 feet, that's cake. Being on top of a 1768 foot tower is no different than climbing a 300 foot tower, which I've done many times in my career. After all any fall from 50' or above has the same general consequence in the end. The video makes it look worse than it is in real life, the higher you go the better the view.Wink


Forums : Climbing Information : General

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook