Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Access to climbs at Ralph Stover
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

smallclimber

Sep 21, 2010, 3:43 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1478 views)
Shortcut

Access to climbs at Ralph Stover  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region: Ralph_Stover_State_Park__aka_High_Rocks_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is the access to the base of the climbs like at Ralph Stover? Could you get a stroller (and baby) in? I've never been there, but we need to find some easy access, top rope areas for this fall!
Thanks for any info.

gblauer

Sep 21, 2010, 4:04 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] Access to climbs at Ralph Stover [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, you cannot get a stroller in there. You will need a baby backpack. It's steep and the trails along side the crag can be narrow in places.

Go to Peterskill at the gunks. Plenty of TRing, easy access.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Sep 21, 2010, 4:22 PM)

smallclimber

Sep 22, 2010, 7:25 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Access to climbs at Ralph Stover [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks - that's a shame. Peterskill is on our list and is certainly ideal, but a bit longer drive than we wanted to do just yet, so I was hoping for somewhere closer for our first outdoor day. Hopefully we'll be able to risk the Gunks by later in October!

gblauer

Sep 22, 2010, 7:30 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about Birdsboro? You can easily push a stroller up to the crag (you will have to cross two creeks or enter from the back side...longer walk on a paved road, no creek crossing)

There is very little TRing at the Bird, but, there are lots of climbers who would be willing to set up climbs for you. There are also lots of VERY EASY sport leads (5.6's etc)

Dip

Sep 22, 2010, 8:28 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Access to climbs at Ralph Stover [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the only thing i would worry about at the Bird with the kiddo is rockfall. It seems every time i go there somebody pulls something off the wall. I guess that could be a problem anwyhere, but of all the climbing crags in the are i'd say that one has the worst rep.

All that being said, i have seen plenty of parents with strollers there before, so i'm probably just being paranoid.

gblauer

Sep 22, 2010, 8:29 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] Access to climbs at Ralph Stover [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with you. I think that they should move the baby away from the cliff. I too have seen rock fall.

TradEddie

Sep 22, 2010, 9:20 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] Access to climbs at Ralph Stover [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dip wrote:
the only thing i would worry about at the Bird with the kiddo is rockfall. It seems every time i go there somebody pulls something off the wall. I guess that could be a problem anwyhere, but of all the climbing crags in the are i'd say that one has the worst rep.

All that being said, i have seen plenty of parents with strollers there before, so i'm probably just being paranoid.

At Stover, not only is there rockfall, non-climbers frequently throw or drop objects from the overlooks too, at least climbers usually yell 'rock'. I saw a dropped camera miss a baby by just a few feet at Stover.

I've brought small kids to Birdsboro, Stover and the Gunks, not saying it was a good idea, but they survived. I'd say Birdsboro is the safest from rockfall, provided you stay away from directly under routes, there are no unseen climbers or hikers high above, however there is a steep drop off to the lower level if they are old enough to run around.

TE

Dip

Sep 22, 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To the OP, have you considered chickies rock? Sure there can be problems with idiots and/or kids throwing rocks off the top, but at least there are signs posted intent on preventing it. Also it's a super easy, super short approach, with easy toprope setups, a great view of the river, and plenty of room to keep the bambino away from action. There's nothing there of any difficulty though, i believe the hardest route on the main wall goes at 5.9, but if you're just looking to get out and climb some easy stuff without finding a sitter, that may be your best bet.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.65 (10% off)
$17.06 (10% off)
$40.46 (10% off)
$49.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook