RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

nessie

Sep 22, 2010, 8:32 AM
Post #1 of 16 (6794 views)
Shortcut

painfull feet when descending wearing crampons
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

About a month ago I had my first experience walking with crampons. I already had la sportiva d shoes and borrowed some grivel crampons which fit the boots just fine. The shoes were bought slightly larger than my usual shoe size so that my toes don't go blue on descents. However when on quite vertical slopes my feet hurt on the sides when I am wearing the crampons. The question is: is this because of my technique when putting my feet down or is there something wrong with the shoe/crampon setup?

julio412

Sep 22, 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #2 of 16 (6775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nessie] painfull feet when descending wearing crampons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Exactly what shoes do you have? and what crampons?
My guess is the boots aren't supportive enough.
If the boots don't have much of a shank, then they probably weren't intended for what you're doing.
You can also call La Sportiva in Boulder- they're very helpful.
Mario

nessie

Sep 22, 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #3 of 16 (6765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [julio412] painfull feet when descending wearing crampons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

La Sportiva karakorum boots- they are intended for semi automtic crampons, crampons are grivel(but borrowed so those are changeable)

(This post was edited by nessie on Sep 22, 2010, 12:37 PM)

Lazlo

Sep 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #4 of 16 (6756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nessie wrote:
About a month ago I had my first experience walking with crampons. I already had la sportiva d shoes and borrowed some grivel crampons which fit the boots just fine. The shoes were bought slightly larger than my usual shoe size so that my toes don't go blue on descents. However when on quite vertical slopes my feet hurt on the sides when I am wearing the crampons. The question is: is this because of my technique when putting my feet down or is there something wrong with the shoe/crampon setup?

What kind of pain is it that you're having?
What technique are you using to descend?

Your boots should be a good fit. I'd be concerned if they're sized a size larger than what you're comfortable in. That alone could do it.

I highly doubt the crampons have anything to do with it. (if it is a solid mountaineering boot)

Mix up your technique when you descend.

Flat foot
plunge step
french step (both sides)

nessie

Sep 22, 2010, 1:32 PM
Post #5 of 16 (6741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] painfull feet when descending wearing crampons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, when the slant of the ice is substantial and I point my toe outwards of my valley foot on descent it's as if my foot is too loose and thus kinda hits the side of the boot. My ankle is kept firmly in place and obviously my toes don't keep on being pushed up against the tip of my shoe. However if I point my foot more forward rather than sideways it hardly but then I'm not sure I am walking correctly ie. safely on descent.

the_climber

Sep 22, 2010, 5:18 PM
Post #6 of 16 (6722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

10:1 It's either the fit of the boot (Including how tight you have them laced) or your technique.

The only other things that could effect your feet the way you're describing are:
1 - your feet need to toughen up Wink
or
2 - You're tightening the strap on the crampon binding too much. Assuming you're meaning New-Matic style binding when you're stating "semi automatic" with a heel lever and a plastic or webbing toe bail... as opposed to step-in (wire toe bail w/ heel lever).

(This post was edited by the_climber on Sep 22, 2010, 5:44 PM)

marc801

Sep 22, 2010, 5:30 PM
Post #7 of 16 (6718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] painfull feet when descending wearing crampons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
10:1 It's either the fit of the boot (Including how tight you have them laced) or your technique.

The only other things that could effect your feet the way you're describing are:
1 - your feet need to toughen up Wink
or
2 - You're tightening the strap on the crampon binding too much. Assuming you're meaning New-Matic style binding when you're stating "semi automatic" with a heal lever and a plastic or webbing toe bail... as opposed to step-in (wire toe bail w/ heal lever).

What he said.
But for the love of god, the part on the back of your foot is the HEEL.

the_climber

Sep 22, 2010, 5:46 PM
Post #8 of 16 (6710 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] painfull feet when descending wearing crampons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
*snip*
But for the love of god, the part on the back of your foot is the HEEL.

Spelking police.

marc801

Sep 22, 2010, 7:21 PM
Post #9 of 16 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] painfull feet when descending wearing crampons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some things just painfully bounce off the eyes!

Lazlo

Sep 23, 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #10 of 16 (6656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nessie wrote:
Well, when the slant of the ice is substantial and I point my toe outwards of my valley foot on descent it's as if my foot is too loose and thus kinda hits the side of the boot. My ankle is kept firmly in place and obviously my toes don't keep on being pushed up against the tip of my shoe. However if I point my foot more forward rather than sideways it hardly but then I'm not sure I am walking correctly ie. safely on descent.

I think you answered your question

skiclimb

Sep 23, 2010, 7:01 AM
Post #11 of 16 (6628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the sides? that is a big area.. where specifically on the sides is the pain/.. Is the pain internal or on the surface.

Ie.. muscle/ligament pain (usually torsion) or is it skin surface pain? (usually impact)

anterior back side .. interior front side? or vice versa? Both feet or one?

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Sep 23, 2010, 7:01 AM)

nessie

Sep 24, 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #12 of 16 (6553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] painfull feet when descending wearing crampons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pain is on the outside of my foot and more superficial, not ligament or bone linked at all. I guess it is the size of the shoe but I was kindly informed by just about everyone that alpine climbing shoes need to be 0.5 to a full european size larger than usual shoes or even my b walking shoes to avoid banging my toes continuosly againt the shoes on heavy going descents.

tomtom

Sep 28, 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #13 of 16 (6431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy boots that fit your feet, not the recommendations of others.

Colinhoglund

Sep 29, 2010, 5:33 AM
Post #14 of 16 (6393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I couldn't disagree more. Both my sportiva Trangos and my scarpa Summits are basically the same size as my 'street shoe'. The trangos are newer, but my summits have seen two seasons of ice with no problems except some blisters on my big toe (I have really wide feet so I usually tape my big toe to prevent this).
If a boot fits well it doesn't need to be 'oversized' to prevent toe bash since your foot will stay put. If your toe doesn't hit on a gentle slope or kick, it shouldn't hit ever. If it hits with an aggro kick, that just means your slipping forward, which means your also susceptible to horrendous heel blisters when frontpointing. Too big is just as bad as too small. Too small your toes always hit the end, too big you get foot slop. This sounds like whats happening.
Especially since I find that people wear their 'street shoes' too big anyways, adding a half size could make any mountain boot too big and allow slop.

altelis

Oct 1, 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #15 of 16 (6313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Colinhoglund] painfull feet when descending wearing crampons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
I couldn't disagree more. Both my sportiva Trangos and my scarpa Summits are basically the same size as my 'street shoe'. The trangos are newer, but my summits have seen two seasons of ice with no problems except some blisters on my big toe (I have really wide feet so I usually tape my big toe to prevent this).
If a boot fits well it doesn't need to be 'oversized' to prevent toe bash since your foot will stay put. If your toe doesn't hit on a gentle slope or kick, it shouldn't hit ever. If it hits with an aggro kick, that just means your slipping forward, which means your also susceptible to horrendous heel blisters when frontpointing. Too big is just as bad as too small. Too small your toes always hit the end, too big you get foot slop. This sounds like whats happening.
Especially since I find that people wear their 'street shoes' too big anyways, adding a half size could make any mountain boot too big and allow slop.

skiclimb

Oct 2, 2010, 6:01 AM
Post #16 of 16 (6292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] painfull feet when descending wearing crampons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Colinhoglund wrote:

ditto

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook