RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

MidnightR

Jul 16, 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #1 of 23 (17141 views)
Shortcut

Calluses
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been getting these the past couple of weeks rock climbing. I've been cutting away the skin when I can see its separated (gone white like a blister). This releases all the water and shiz underneath. If I don't do this they only end up ripping the next time I go climbing anyway.

I've found they seem to heal faster without the liquid there (ie to cut vs to not cut). Which is strange because I would of thought the opposite should be true?

Tips for helping them heal asap? Plus toughening up your skin. I've been using moisturiser a lot to help them heal.

leapinlizard

Jul 16, 2010, 1:00 AM
Post #2 of 23 (17130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MidnightR] Calluses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The more you climb, the less it will happen. Just keep climbing, and doing what you are doing.

Ever wanna see something cool, do a hyperbaric treatment when you have been climbing a lot. If you use your hands at all during the treatment, all of your calluses will peel off.

dangleme

Aug 17, 2010, 4:24 PM
Post #3 of 23 (16965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Salt water. As a gymnast back in the day, we would soak our hands in salt water after peeling off blisters or when the skin peels. Yeah, it stings, but when the callus grows back it makes them very deep and hard.

It doesn't really help it heal any faster, besides helping to prevent infections, but it will help prevent future peels.

For an immediate fix, use super glue. It was designed as a war field dressing (hence the skin welding power) and doesn't sting, but it'll get you a couple more days on the rock with a peel.

robinsmv

Aug 17, 2010, 9:27 PM
Post #4 of 23 (16938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dangleme] Calluses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was having a similar problem when I first started. My wife was a gymnast when she was younger and she told me she used to file the calluses off her hands before getting on the bars. This kept them from building up and ripping once they got too thick. I got a file and this helped out. I haven't had a flapper since I started doing this.

dangleme

Aug 18, 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #5 of 23 (16913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robinsmv] Calluses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

That's fine if you already have good callusses and they start to get too thick. Eventually the top layers will come off, and filing them hepls control how much comes off at one time.

It sounds like the problem in the origional post is the lack of good hard callusses to begin with. When callusses start out, it's just a couple extra layers of soft dead skin on top, which peels off.

Salt water soaks help speed up the process from forming superficial soft callusses to forming hard dense callusses deep in the skin that actually protect your skin under the stresses of climbing.

You don't have to soak in salt water and eventually your skin will start getting tougher, however it takes significantly longer. Also, lotion will make it worse.

skyfurr

Aug 21, 2010, 2:57 AM
Post #6 of 23 (16841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dangleme wrote:
Also, lotion will make it worse.

Lotion bad, calluses good.
I wouldn't pick/peel at it either, but if you do just be careful of cuts becoming infected when the skin is becoming dryer than you are used to, in which case salt water is also good for.
Filing, as previously mentioned, will definitely help facilitate harder calluses, though I wouldn't recommend that -shouldnt really be necessary.

(This post was edited by skyfurr on Aug 21, 2010, 3:04 AM)

shockabuku

Aug 21, 2010, 4:24 PM
Post #7 of 23 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dangleme wrote:

That's not true. I file my calluses regularly to keep them from getting too heavy (which is why they rip off some times). I use lotion a couple of times a day to keep the skin from getting overly dried out and cracking. I haven't had a callus rip off, a blister, or peeling skin in years.

jmeizis

Aug 21, 2010, 5:28 PM
Post #8 of 23 (16810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would use moisturizer to a certain extent. If you have dry skin and don't moisturize it will be much easier for you skin to crack and rip since it's less pliable. On the other hand if you already have baby soft hands, the moisturizer is not going to speed up the process of building up tougher hands. Blisters also don't help you get calluses, they're too deep.

In short, shave stuff down if it's going to get ripped off. Moisurize as needed to prevent cracks and tears in your skin, and don't climb to the point of getting blisters.

notapplicable

Aug 21, 2010, 11:46 PM
Post #10 of 23 (16774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skyfurr] Calluses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can only speak from personal experience here, but I wouldn't listen to these folks saying lotion is bad for the process.

You do not want "thick, hard" calluses, you want to turn your hands in to leather, and that requires moisterising. Hard, dry skin is skin that will wear away, tear and crack. That is not what you want.

blondgecko

Aug 22, 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #11 of 23 (16760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Calluses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
I can only speak from personal experience here, but I wouldn't listen to these folks saying lotion is bad for the process.

You do not want "thick, hard" calluses, you want to turn your hands in to leather, and that requires moisterising. Hard, dry skin is skin that will wear away, tear and crack. That is not what you want.

I agree with this. Put another way, the choice between moisturizing or going with dry calluses is essentially the choice between skin that's living and actively repairing itself, or skin that's dead and slowly decaying.

When I was climbing regularly (three nights a week in the gym, most weekends out somewhere) my regular routine was to, as soon as I got home from the gym, wash the residual chalk off then cover my hands in moisturizer (the cheapest of cheap bulk pump pack stuff). Let that soak in, then another dose (which would take much longer to soak in). The result was that if you looked at my hands, apart from the occasional scratch Ross the back, you'd never have known I was a climber. No calluses, no, blisters, no tearing, yet I was pulling down harder than ever before or since.

No great magic to it - just give your skin what it needs to repair itself.

skyfurr

Aug 22, 2010, 4:15 AM
Post #12 of 23 (16731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen calluses get way out of control over time when filed regularly, which is why I don't recommend it unless really necessary.
IMO just take it easy as your hands are adjusting to the wear. I've never had problems with calluses beyond a few months from when first getting into climbing, I remember just getting to a point where your fingertips have adapted to the rough of the rock.
Maybe I'm just a some kind of freak?

Also, just harden up. I still say no to moisterizer.
Pain, for a time, is not always a bad thing (please read this with some common sense though).

Lastly, everyone's body is different, maybe your hands sweat more than mine and so are more prone to skin tears etc.

jtokes

Oct 2, 2010, 5:07 PM
Post #13 of 23 (16357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd Just like to thank you for the info about the salt treatment, great idea.

However, I would like to stress how unhealthy the use of super glue is. If you consider the chemicals present in the glue and the fact that one is placing it on a open wound, it is in reality a bad idea. Sure, it was invented in the time of war as a quick repair of open wounds, but the side affects of ingesting such chemicals is quite harmful.

So if at all possible, do Not use super glue.

Thanks for all the great info

curt

Oct 3, 2010, 3:46 AM
Post #14 of 23 (16324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skyfurr wrote:
dangleme wrote:

Lotion bad, calluses good.

Both of you would be better off (as would the general readership here) if you would simply not post anything when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Curt

skyfurr

Oct 3, 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #15 of 23 (16283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Calluses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lol I can't believe you’re dragging this up again!
Thank you, but there really is no need for advice on my behalf. I’m not any worse off having posted anything... let alone never using moisturizer on my hands. Aside from, say approximately the first month or 2 of beginning to climb, and the exceptional sloppy slap to a sharp hold or lazy technique maneuver resulting in weight grinding a hand down the wall, I’ve never had skin tearing issues. I have a bit of calluses yet my hands are not overly rough at all.

However, I do thank you for your concern of the general readership here nonetheless.
By your own admission they must be in need of such trustworthy supervision. I wouldn’t know, though do hope you “know what you’re talking about” there, otherwise we’re BOTH just wasting our time posting anything at all on the matter.
Actually no, there is an element of worthwhile entertainment inherent in posts the likes of yours here on rc.com, the kind that occasionally make it the laughable nanny-state of affairs some (many?) “know” it should be.

If not, then my advice to you is calm the hell down Curt, it’s called an opinion (and yes, often opinions are a complete load of shit), not the word of god. And I mean c’mon, we’re not discussing setting up anchors, we’re talking about hand cream here for christ’s sake ;)

curt

Oct 3, 2010, 6:32 PM
Post #16 of 23 (16258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skyfurr wrote:
Thank you, but there really is no need for advice on my behalf. I’m not any worse off having posted anything... let alone never using moisturizer on my hands. Aside from, say approximately the first month or 2 of beginning to climb, and the exceptional sloppy slap to a sharp hold or lazy technique maneuver resulting in weight grinding a hand down the wall, I’ve never had skin tearing issues. I have a bit of calluses yet my hands are not overly rough at all.

However, I do thank you for your concern of the general readership here nonetheless.
By your own admission they must be in need of such trustworthy supervision. I wouldn’t know, though do hope you “know what you’re talking about” there, otherwise we’re BOTH just wasting our time posting anything at all on the matter.
Actually no, there is an element of worthwhile entertainment inherent in posts the likes of yours here on rc.com, the kind that occasionally make it the laughable nanny-state of affairs some (many?) “know” it should be.

If not, then my advice to you is calm the hell down Curt, it’s called an opinion (and yes, often opinions are a complete load of shit), not the word of god. And I mean c’mon, we’re not discussing setting up anchors, we’re talking about hand cream here for christ’s sake ;)

Nice rant, but I'm afraid this is not a matter of mere opinion. True, some people will get calluses and not have a problem with them tearing--but this thread was started by someone who obviously has a problem there.

There is plenty of readily available information out there on why keeping the skin moisturized actually prevents flappers/blisters/ etc.--effectively toughening the skin. Much of this information derives from gymnastics, but also from weight lifting and other sports. Some of this information has even been posted on other threads here at RC.com. If you opt to keep your head in the sand, I suppose that's fine, but posting nonsense for other people to read isn't doing anyone a service.

Oh, and I'll "calm the hell down" as soon as the stupid stops.

Curt

skyfurr

Oct 3, 2010, 9:24 PM
Post #17 of 23 (16223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skyfurr wrote:
Lotion bad (for me), calluses good (never been a problem -for me).

Of course I realize the OP has problems with skin tearing, just as I did when I started climbing, for a short time. I thought it was obvious I was speaking purely from my own experience. I also realize you have a major issue with me using the word "bad". Get over it.

blondgecko

Oct 3, 2010, 9:36 PM
Post #18 of 23 (16217 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skyfurr wrote:

My advice to you is to calm the hell down.

curt

Oct 3, 2010, 9:42 PM
Post #19 of 23 (16208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skyfurr wrote:
skyfurr wrote:
Lotion bad (for me), calluses good (never been a problem -for me).

Of course I realize the OP has problems with skin tearing, just as I did when I started climbing, for a short time. I thought it was obvious I was speaking purely from my own experience.

The only obvious thing is that you are speaking out of your ass.

skyfurr wrote:
Get over it.

Bite me.

Curt

skyfurr

Oct 4, 2010, 3:26 AM
Post #20 of 23 (16166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hehe I'll be sure to visit the lavatory before I post here againTongue
It may just be to throw up, depending on how good you taste?

curt

Oct 4, 2010, 5:09 AM
Post #21 of 23 (16150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been told it's aromas of pear and citrus that carry through to the palate with the addition of apple. Pairs well with seafood, appetizers, and cream-based pasta dishes.

Curt

skyfurr

Oct 4, 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #22 of 23 (16105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Complex and tempting to say the least!
If only you were an attractive female tooUnsure
errr time to sign out, my wife is calling...

thiagocesaro

Oct 4, 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #23 of 23 (16091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dangleme wrote:
Salt water. As a gymnast back in the day, we would soak our hands in salt water after peeling off blisters or when the skin peels. Yeah, it stings, but when the callus grows back it makes them very deep and hard.

It doesn't really help it heal any faster, besides helping to prevent infections, but it will help prevent future peels.

For an immediate fix, use super glue. It was designed as a war field dressing (hence the skin welding power) and doesn't sting, but it'll get you a couple more days on the rock with a peel.
how much salt do you put in the water? what´s the ratio?

I use climb on bar. it´s all natural, and made wonders on my pelling skin. and it has a very nice smell too.
any of you guys use it?

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook