RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Rudmin

Oct 10, 2010, 1:36 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1176 views)
Shortcut

DSLR problem
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Very recently, the light metering on my Nikon D60 has gone out of wack. Since about a month ago, it has consistently started showing exposures about 3 stops above what is actually there. What this means is that if I centre the exposure, I get a horribly underexposed photo. I can still shoot fine in auto mode, but manual is very tricky because I can't eyeball the light level myself.

Does anybody have any troubleshooting ideas about what might be causing this? I have tried resetting all of the settings back to default. No change. I have tried shooting at different apertures, no change. I don't have any other lenses. Maybe I will try borrowing one from a friend to see if it is a lens problem.

The thing is that the camera can take normal photos using auto mode.

brijoel

Oct 10, 2010, 9:36 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] DSLR problem [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My first inclination was that something was wrong with your shutter, which meant the problem should consistently occur whether in manual or auto - except that it works fine in auto. Similarly, your lens has nothing to do with the problem since it only happens in manual, and lenses have no "software" to cause them to meter differently based on the camera's function setting.

Thus, I'm guessing you have a software issue rather than some kind of hardware problem. Call Nikon and explain what's happening. It may be something as simple as a software update.

mattmaxwell

Oct 11, 2010, 7:13 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not the first person i've read about having a similar issue with their Nikon: http://news.deviantart.com/article/126401/

but, yes, contact Nikon. and scour around the internet and see if you can find posts/blogs about similar problems.

Rudmin

Oct 11, 2010, 10:35 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Problem solved. The exposure compensation was changed by accident. I have never used it before, so didn't even know how to change it until I tried messing with the flash compensation. The funny thing was that doing a hard reset didn't reset it.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook