Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
NC mnts - Best fall color vista w/climbers for film maker
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

smurray333

Oct 11, 2010, 7:34 PM
Post #1 of 14 (11331 views)
Shortcut

NC mnts - Best fall color vista w/climbers for film maker  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a film maker not a climber. Want to get a wide shot of 2-3 climbers on a nice rock with fall color in the background. Looking for suggestions for the best fall color vista that is reasonably easy to access by hiking to the top so I can then shoot by dropping down to the climbers. My RED One camera weights almost 40lbs so climbing is most difficult...

Thinking perhaps Whiteside Mountain would be good. Or Devils Courthouse since it is easy to hike up. Any other ideas? Many thanks in advance.

And if anyone is interested in being in the shots I plan to shoot the week of the 18th if I can pull this together - message me if interested.

Steve Murray
www.stevemurray.com

jamatt

Oct 11, 2010, 8:32 PM
Post #2 of 14 (11310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smurray333] NC mnts - Best fall color vista w/climbers for film maker [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would recommend Ship Rock, shooting a climber coming around the corner on Edge of a Dream. you won't have to rope up, and the colors are going off!

It's about a 5 or 10 minute hike from the BRP, no climbing required.

smurray333

Oct 11, 2010, 9:04 PM
Post #3 of 14 (11297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamatt] NC mnts - Best fall color vista w/climbers for film maker [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Very nice. Thank you. Been meaning to explore around Rough Ridge so this is a great reason.

Steve

rock_fencer

Oct 11, 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #4 of 14 (11266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamatt] NC mnts - Best fall color vista w/climbers for film maker [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd say anything with profile on the north face of the glass would be pretty sick (few mile hike to the top) ! Shortoff would be awesome too. Come to think of it any of the multi-pitch with access to the top in NC would be sweet!

csproul

Oct 12, 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #5 of 14 (11238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smurray333] NC mnts - Best fall color vista w/climbers for film maker [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tilted world or Dopey Duck at Shortoff. Both are easy to get pictures on, without the photographer doing any climbing. You do have to hike the camera up 1.5 miles. The colors are pretty good up there right now.

smurray333

Oct 12, 2010, 1:00 PM
Post #6 of 14 (11229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] NC mnts - Best fall color vista w/climbers for film maker [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Many thanks. i really want to get a super wide shot with the climber in the foreground reaching to the lens and the background nothing but rock and color. Seems like Looking Glass would work best for that. Yes?

I'm thinking that Looking Glass would be better because of the way the rock is more rounded and I think I could drop down just enough to get the shot. Would you say the hike up the glass is about the same as Shortoff?

Thank you.

Steve

Partner j_ung

Oct 12, 2010, 1:25 PM
Post #7 of 14 (11219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] NC mnts - Best fall color vista w/climbers for film maker [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Tilted world or Dopey Duck at Shortoff. Both are easy to get pictures on, without the photographer doing any climbing. You do have to hike the camera up 1.5 miles. The colors are pretty good up there right now.

This is exactly what I thought, too. This isn't a good shot, but you get the point, I think. I wouldn't bother with Looking Glass.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Oct 12, 2010, 1:25 PM)

Partner j_ung

Oct 12, 2010, 1:27 PM
Post #8 of 14 (11216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

smurray333 wrote:
Many thanks. i really want to get a super wide shot with the climber in the foreground reaching to the lens and the background nothing but rock and color. Seems like Looking Glass would work best for that. Yes?

I'm thinking that Looking Glass would be better because of the way the rock is more rounded and I think I could drop down just enough to get the shot. Would you say the hike up the glass is about the same as Shortoff?

Thank you.

Steve

No. In fact, I would say it's much longer, much more difficult, and you'll have absolutely no idea where to rig and rappel, plus no guarantee that there will be climbers where you rappelled.

Partner j_ung

Oct 12, 2010, 1:28 PM
Post #9 of 14 (11213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

smurray333 wrote:
i really want to get a super wide shot with the climber in the foreground reaching to the lens and the background nothing but rock and color. Seems like Looking Glass would work best for that. Yes?

Ah, I see. I think Ship Rock will be your best bet.

smurray333

Oct 12, 2010, 1:30 PM
Post #10 of 14 (11210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] NC mnts - Best fall color vista w/climbers for film maker [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fantastic info. Just what I needed. Thank you very much.

clemsonscooby

Oct 12, 2010, 4:40 PM
Post #11 of 14 (11172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The hike to the top of Looking Glass is quite long. Although it is pretty easy to find the rap for the Nose, but 3 hours round trip. Ship Rock is stellar, especially with the Viaduct in the background of Edge of a Dream. You can also shoot Welcome to Watuaga from the top of Harpoon. That would be a sick photo.

justroberto

Oct 12, 2010, 5:01 PM
Post #12 of 14 (11163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depending on where you are in NC, Moore's Wall near King, NC could be good, as well. It's not as short a hike as Ship Rock (maybe 45 minutes), but it's not too bad. I imagine it's probably still warm enough there for there to be a good number of climbers. The foliage is probably more spectacular at Ship Rock, but I could be wrong.

jaboyd510

Oct 14, 2010, 5:41 PM
Post #13 of 14 (11114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI!!!

You cannot walk to the top of routes at Shiprock. ALL routes are technically only accessible by climbing them. There are some old ways to access the tops of routes like Edge of a Dream but those areas are closed. Harpoon, although easy to access the top, is closed to that access. The only way to technically get to the top of Harpoon is to climb the route. I guess you could also jug ropes to get to the top of those routes.

tks

Oct 14, 2010, 8:57 PM
Post #14 of 14 (11084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaboyd510] NC mnts - Best fall color vista w/climbers for film maker [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can if you take the trail from the parking lot, it goes to the same place.

The only thing you're not supposed to do is walk up from the base of the cliff.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook