Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

acorneau

Oct 21, 2010, 6:06 PM
Post #26 of 101 (12052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Khoi] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Khoi wrote:
ozoneclimber wrote:
OK.......

The obvious question:
Why not just use tubular webbing and a water-knot?
You, and everyone else, know that it is tried and true. Why complicate things when you don't have to?

-B

gthomann

I'd really like to know your answer to this.

Because he wants to make his own PTFTW's.
Wink

Why did some folks make a cam for the Lab cam contest? Curiosity, perhaps?

seatbeltpants

Oct 21, 2010, 7:09 PM
Post #27 of 101 (12029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Khoi wrote:
ozoneclimber wrote:
OK.......

The obvious question:
You, and everyone else, know that it is tried and true. Why complicate things when you don't have to?

-B

gthomann

Wink

curiosity is cool - but how many of those who made cams for the contest actually climbed on them?

steve

Paul_W

Oct 21, 2010, 9:53 PM
Post #28 of 101 (11989 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Khoi] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

back in the day we used to sew our own slings. i made a complete set from 9/16 webbing and used poylester thread and an old sewing machine. i did take care to make sure the tension was right and inspected the bar tacks carefully. i took dozens of screamers on these and never had a problem. that said, the new gear is so light and nice why not pay a few bucks and buy some new slings, or if you can't afford that just use tied slings until you can afford some commercially sewn ones.

buck0land

Oct 23, 2010, 2:39 PM
Post #29 of 101 (11916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gthomann] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What about contacting a master rigger for information on sew soft goods?

russwalling

Oct 23, 2010, 4:03 PM
Post #30 of 101 (11899 views)
Shortcut

Re:Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
2.) Your stitches are really sloppy. A bartack is just a really tight zig-zag stitch but it it should be tight and ordered. You might try going slower when stitching or maybe your machine has a buttonhole setting. You also might try adding some appropriate adhesive between the webbing prior to sewing so that the piece is easier to handle.

A bartack is NOT just a really tight zigzag. There is more to it than that. (note to self: do not feed the trolls)

bill413

Oct 24, 2010, 12:48 AM
Post #31 of 101 (11824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [russwalling] Re:Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

russwalling wrote:
In reply to:
2.) Your stitches are really sloppy. A bartack is just a really tight zig-zag stitch but it it should be tight and ordered. You might try going slower when stitching or maybe your machine has a buttonhole setting. You also might try adding some appropriate adhesive between the webbing prior to sewing so that the piece is easier to handle.

A bartack is NOT just a really tight zigzag. There is more to it than that. (note to self: do not feed the trolls)

But this is a point worth getting out...thanks Russ.

oldrnotboldr

Oct 24, 2010, 3:44 AM
Post #32 of 101 (11802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I saw a guy try to use homemade slings designed just like yours, it DID NOT HOLD EVEN ONE TOP ROPE FALL. Fortunately, the guys' set up was redundant and kept serious injury from happening. He rightly never used nor tried to self manufacture anymore.

Use commercial gear or the tried and true knotting methods. Otherwise "yer gonna die" and that is no exaggeration.

acorneau

Oct 24, 2010, 1:01 PM
Post #33 of 101 (11763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldrnotboldr] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oldrnotboldr wrote:
I saw a guy try to use homemade
slings designed just like yours...

I'm guessing that was intended for the OP and not me, right?

Wink

oldrnotboldr

Oct 24, 2010, 5:12 PM
Post #34 of 101 (11739 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, not you but the OP. That event was some years ago and the guy had the idea he could save some money. While the sling would hold static body weight, a fall ripped it faster than a screamer. I'm sure its possible to make your own but why. Considering the correct supplies, equipment, time, etc. it is not that cost effective. Plus, finding a way to properly test the final product. There are better, safer, cheaper, alternatives. I'm very nervous about any home made equipment.

As a side note to the OP--I hear that HomeDepot has some carabiners that would hold body weight also.

Adk

Oct 25, 2010, 12:34 AM
Post #35 of 101 (11688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [steinmethod] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

["steinmethod wrote"]
In reply to:
Please keep your home made gear at "HOME". If you plan on using this at the crag, you might want to warn others!!!

I like this idea. Ummmm Gary? Please let me know when you are using one of those "Death Slings" if I happen to be on belay. I'd really rather leave the making of slings to the professionals.

Either you have been bored in your retirement or you are getting cheap. Curiosity killed the cat. At least it did in my neighborhood at one time or another. I don't want to see your name in the local headlines. If it is, you won't be in the "In memory of Section" here unless it here to poke fun at.

Yer Gunna Die!!!!Cool I ain't!

Well...I will eventualy but not at the hand of your sewing machine!Wink

gmggg

Oct 25, 2010, 2:39 PM
Post #36 of 101 (11653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

russwalling wrote:
In reply to:

Not trolling, I understand the stitch to be identical. I'd be interested to learn the difference if there's a resource you could point too or an explanation you could offer.

kennoyce

Oct 25, 2010, 2:56 PM
Post #37 of 101 (11650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seatbeltpants wrote:
acorneau wrote:
Khoi wrote:
ozoneclimber wrote:
OK.......

The obvious question:

-B

gthomann

Wink

curiosity is cool - but how many of those who made cams for the contest actually climbed on them?

steve

I've climbed on homemade cams, Sungam has taken a fall onto one of my homemade cams, I think making and using your own gear is fine as long as you know what you are doing. The problem here is that the OP has shown that he really doesn't know what he is doing.

jt512

Oct 25, 2010, 4:39 PM
Post #38 of 101 (11632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
seatbeltpants wrote:
acorneau wrote:
Khoi wrote:
ozoneclimber wrote:
OK.......

The obvious question:

-B

gthomann

Wink

steve

I've climbed on homemade cams, Sungam has taken a fall onto one of my homemade cams, I think making and using your own gear is fine as long as you know what you are doing.

The problem is, as research has shown, people who don't know what they are doing, don't know that they don't know what they are doing.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Oct 25, 2010, 11:20 PM)

ClimbOn68

Oct 26, 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #39 of 101 (11587 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, your reply is FUNNY AS HELL! Soo True!

dynosore

Oct 26, 2010, 1:06 AM
Post #40 of 101 (11573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want a couple pull tested PM me. I can throw them on the Instron.

rockvoyager

Oct 26, 2010, 1:09 AM
Post #41 of 101 (11572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbOn68] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Several years ago I had a friend sew a twenty foot piece of 1 inch webbing together with 2 square boxes and with an x in the middle of the boxes. I cinch tied this to a telephone pole and then hooked the other end around a 2 inch hitch ball on my truck. For several minutes I tried to pull it apart. When I couldn't break it with a static pull I backed up about 2 feet and nailed it pretty good. Still did't break. after several tries I finally gave up because I was starting to bend my back bumper.

Having said that, I use store bought slings. There're cheap and dying would ruin my day.

Brad

jt512

Oct 26, 2010, 1:59 AM
Post #42 of 101 (11553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockvoyager] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

rockvoyager wrote:
Several years ago I had a friend sew a twenty foot piece of 1 inch webbing together with 2 square boxes and with an x in the middle of the boxes. I cinch tied this to a telephone pole and then hooked the other end around a 2 inch hitch ball on my truck. For several minutes I tried to pull it apart. When I couldn't break it with a static pull I backed up about 2 feet and nailed it pretty good. Still did't break. after several tries I finally gave up because I was starting to bend my back bumper.

Therefore, homemade slings are safe. Moreover, two box-X stitches are as good as 5 bartacks.

QED.

Jay

kennoyce

Oct 27, 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #43 of 101 (11506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
kennoyce wrote:
seatbeltpants wrote:
acorneau wrote:
Khoi wrote:
ozoneclimber wrote:
OK.......

The obvious question:

-B

gthomann

Wink

steve

I've climbed on homemade cams, Sungam has taken a fall onto one of my homemade cams, I think making and using your own gear is fine as long as you know what you are doing.

The problem is, as research has shown, people who don't know what they are doing, don't know that they don't know what they are doing.

Jay

Great point as usual Jay. I certainly wasn't trying to say that this dude knows what he is doing (in fact based on his comments I believe that to be entirely untrue). I was merely pointing out that people do climb on homemade gear (not that I'm advocating doing this).

gmggg

Oct 27, 2010, 2:51 PM
Post #44 of 101 (11464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

russwalling wrote:
In reply to:

Bump.

Still wondering what difference there is between the two stitches, couldn't find much in my brief research on the topic.

gthomann

Oct 29, 2010, 3:08 PM
Post #45 of 101 (11414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are some results from initial testing. I have been using the loops I sewed in top rope setups but that isn't much of a test since the forces are so small. My CRV needed an oil change and John the garage owner is also a climber and of course I was showing him the webbing. So we decided to try lifting the back end of his truck. We tried first with the piece of webbing that only had 40 stitches. It lifted the truck quite a ways but then of course failed. So then we tried one of the "production" loops. The enclosed picture shows the setup with the back of the truck off the ground. The sewn loop is at the bottom connected to a quick link and the tied loop at the top goes to the caribiner. The photo is not very good; I did not have my tripod along and there was no way I was going to get in very close. We lowered the truck and inspected the equipment. The caribiner must have been bent a little as it no longer worked quite right.

After the lift test I photograped the loop as seen in the second picture. The stitching does not seem to have been stressed. You can see that the knot is pretty tight on the loop at the other end. I tried to undo the know with a marlin spike but I can't even get it started. The other small piece of webbing is what is left of the 40 stitch samplel.

Maybe it takes a 1000 pounds to lift the back end of the truck. John and I have already decided that at the next oil change we will try to lift the front end. I will take a tripod so we can get the camera in a little closer while we stand back.
Attachments: truck.jpg (118 KB)
  slings3.jpg (94.9 KB)

jt512

Oct 29, 2010, 3:43 PM
Post #46 of 101 (11409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

gthomann wrote:
Here are some results from initial testing. I have been using the loops I sewed in top rope setups but that isn't much of a test since the forces are so small. My CRV needed an oil change and John the garage owner is also a climber and of course I was showing him the webbing. So we decided to try lifting the back end of his truck. We tried first with the piece of webbing that only had 40 stitches. It lifted the truck quite a ways but then of course failed. So then we tried one of the "production" loops. The enclosed picture shows the setup with the back of the truck off the ground. The sewn loop is at the bottom connected to a quick link and the tied loop at the top goes to the caribiner. The photo is not very good; I did not have my tripod along and there was no way I was going to get in very close. We lowered the truck and inspected the equipment. The caribiner must have been bent a little as it no longer worked quite right.

After the lift test I photograped the loop as seen in the second picture. The stitching does not seem to have been stressed. You can see that the knot is pretty tight on the loop at the other end. I tried to undo the know with a marlin spike but I can't even get it started. The other small piece of webbing is what is left of the 40 stitch samplel.

Maybe it takes a 1000 pounds to lift the back end of the truck. John and I have already decided that at the next oil change we will try to lift the front end. I will take a tripod so we can get the camera in a little closer while we stand back.

So you've been toproping on slings that may be have less than 1/5 the strength of a normal sling. You must be proud.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Oct 29, 2010, 3:45 PM)

spikeddem

Oct 29, 2010, 3:48 PM
Post #47 of 101 (11406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gthomann, you keep saying the forces in a TR setup aren't much. I'm curious about the numbers you have for that. What forces have you observed?

I'd also be a bit surprised if it took a thousand pounds of force to lift the tail of a truck off the ground. Maybe if it was a pretty big truck with entirely too much junk in its trunk.

Rudmin

Oct 29, 2010, 4:08 PM
Post #48 of 101 (11388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Gthomann, you keep saying the forces in a TR setup aren't much. I'm curious about the numbers you have for that. What forces have you observed?

I'd also be a bit surprised if it took a thousand pounds of force to lift the tail of a truck off the ground. Maybe if it was a pretty big truck with entirely too much junk in its trunk.

That truck probably weighs around 5000 lbs. If the centre of gravity was halfway between the front wheel and the hitch, he would be pulling up 2500 lbs. Since it's probably forward of that, 1000 lbs sounds like a very reasonable conservative estimate.

dynosore

Oct 29, 2010, 4:14 PM
Post #49 of 101 (11383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Sewing your own slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you guys smoking crack? You think a full size truck is that light haha. Weight distribution is around 55/45 front/rear in a full size pickup. That truck weighs at least 5000 lbs. That means the back end "weighs" at least 0.45*5000 or 2250 lbs. 10kn minimum. That's for a empty, 2wd 1/2 ton. It's probably even heavier.

bigo

Oct 29, 2010, 4:26 PM
Post #50 of 101 (11375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
So you've been toproping on slings that may be have less than 1/5 the strength of a normal sling. You must be proud.

Jay

I don't think his 'tr quality' sling failed. He is calling his homemade sling with more stitches the 'production' sling. The one that failed is a 40 stitch joint that I think he was testing to try and get a strength per stitch from.

While I enjoy 'do it yourself projects', sewing your own slings seems like a strange one to take on. High risk - low reward.

gthomann wrote:
Maybe it takes a 1000 pounds to lift the back end of the truck.

Not sure how comfortable you are doing a little math, but if you found the center of gravity of the truck, you could derive a pretty good estimate of how much load you are putting on the sling using static beam analysis. The center of gravity of the truck is the balance point.

force = (dist_front_tire_CG/dist_hitch_CG)*truck_weight

edit: others beat me to the CG...

(This post was edited by bigo on Oct 29, 2010, 4:27 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook