Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gblauer

Oct 12, 2010, 1:39 PM
Post #26 of 33 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Is Potrero Safe now? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ed, Glad that you made is safely!

potreroed

Oct 13, 2010, 1:07 AM
Post #27 of 33 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Is Potrero Safe now? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanx, I'm glad to be back and everything is peaceful. You might not recognize the place, though, 'cuz it got hit by two hurricanes this summer. There is actually a river running through the canyon and the bridge is severely damaged. And the walls themselves look different, lots of new water streaks.

ncrockclimber

Oct 13, 2010, 2:41 PM
Post #28 of 33 (2891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ed.

Glad to hear that you are back and had a safe trip.

Now for the big question, is Tami going to reopen her cafe this year? Please say yes! I miss her cooking and the "scene" just isn't the same without her serving breakfast every morning.

BTW - Pepe, the little black dog that you and Tami helped me to adopt in 2008, is doing great. As I type this he is sitting at my feet and destroying another chewy toy!

(This post was edited by ncrockclimber on Oct 13, 2010, 2:42 PM)

dreday3000

Oct 13, 2010, 6:13 PM
Post #29 of 33 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [giggly] Is Potrero Safe now? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

giggly wrote:
Is there good bouldering near epc?
What about water?
And food?
Do you think I could move to mexico permenitally.
I have been considering this move for many years now.
I went to Juarez before. Late at night I did not have a problem, but I am from new orleans it was the same as burbon street.
How far is elsalto?

Giggly is obviously a troll and a moron but I'll reply for the sake of others interested in Potrero.

Its been a few years since I've been to EPC but I've made a several trips down so I know my way around.

First, there is a swimming hole of sorts - but only during the summer. During the summer a pleasant breeze blows through the canyon and many Monterrey residents drive out to the canyon to cool their heels at a very nice set of pools that have been built into the canyon.

Ed can correct me here but my recollection is that all the water is fed from natural springs that trickle through the limestone which acts as an aquifer - very cool and very clean. You do have to pay admission but its not more than a dollar or two.

It can get hot during the summer but its still climbable. Our usual routine was to climb in the morning, take a break for lunch at the pools - which incidentally have grills - and then climb again in the evening.

El Salto is also considerably cooler and a great place to climb if you have a car and climb 12 and up. Great tufa climbing.

Second, while the major cities might be dangerous, you'll be pretty safe once you're in Hidalgo. Don't be a wuss. As a general rule Mexicans are among the worlds friendliest people.

Funny little story about that. To get to El Salto you have to drive up a monster of a hill. On the way down my friend was acting an ass and zipping through the turns and wearing out his breaks. So much so that a truckload of Mexicans ran us off the road and proceeded to spray beer into our tire wells. Turns out our breaks were on fire. Like I said, friendly people.

(This post was edited by dreday3000 on Oct 13, 2010, 6:27 PM)

PirateDave

Nov 4, 2010, 9:10 PM
Post #30 of 33 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by PirateDave [In reply to]
Report this Post

abtisme

Nov 4, 2010, 9:30 PM
Post #31 of 33 (2731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PirateDave] Is Potrero Safe now? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My brother, Andrew, and his wife, Gena, currently life in Hidalgo and lived in neighboring El Carmen for the past year. They have been safe and have had no run-ins with violence.

Also, they're opening a coffee shop called The Owl, or El Buho, in Hidalgo. It's supposed to open on Saturday (Nov. 6)! They get the beans from farms in Mexico and roast them in the shop. They're working on a book-share/library. You should check it out if you're gonna be down there. I may be biased, but they are cool folks indeed. My brother climbs and I know he'd be psyched to make new friends.

tommymac

Apr 7, 2011, 1:55 AM
Post #32 of 33 (2397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [winterclimb] Is Potrero Safe now? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I live in Guanajuato - granted, it's 8 hours south, but I know TONS of people coming and going from Monterrey and crossing the border. Like anywhere, just be smart. Stick to main roads, travel by day, don't be a jerk and you'll be fine. Giggly should seriously change his name to "Pussy" (I'm being polite). Where does he climb? Inside the Mormon tabernacle? Chicago's dangerous (my home town), NYC is dangerous, life is dangerous, climbing is dangerous. Jesus H, EPC is safer than the west side of Chicago and most American high schools. Giggly can stay in the burbs until he grows some hair on his nuts. Those who already have some cajones should come on down...

(This post was edited by tommymac on Apr 7, 2011, 2:01 AM)

scottek67

Apr 7, 2011, 5:20 AM
Post #33 of 33 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just read it is Canada's fault...
http://cnews.canoe.ca/...ml?cid=rssnewscanada
most recently...
http://niagarafallsreview.ca/...splay.aspx?e=3058730

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?