Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Nov 8, 2010, 4:58 PM
Post #1 of 27 (18706 views)
Shortcut

stranded on rappelling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what a joke

KTVZ-TV reports 24-year-old Ian Wallace Carlsen of Puyallup , called 911 at about 6:45 p.m. Saturday to report he and 22-year-old Russell Scott Howard of Gresham, Ore., were stranded

http://www.theolympian.com/...d-at-smith-rock.html

bill413

Nov 8, 2010, 5:09 PM
Post #2 of 27 (18690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Both had been rappelling and had underestimated the amount of rope they needed to descend the wall. Carlsen was stranded about 250 feet from the bottom and Howard was stranded about 200 feet from the bottom.

That's a pretty serious underestimate. Guess they just didn't bring enough ropes

rock_fencer

Nov 8, 2010, 5:17 PM
Post #3 of 27 (18676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i was just saying to a friend, man they could have just scrambled up and hiked down if they werent sure. Glad they are off ok but man that stuff is just dumb.

shimanilami

Nov 8, 2010, 5:34 PM
Post #4 of 27 (18643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If not for a cell phone, this would certainly have resulted in a Darwin award. Natural selection is foiled once again.

ClimbSoHigh

Nov 8, 2010, 7:02 PM
Post #5 of 27 (18553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since it looks like everyone was OK, I can laugh at this SNAFU. I like how they published their full names, middle name included, to clear up any confusion on who these kids where if you are a local. Haha!

I am slightly confused why they were stranded 50 feet apart from eachother. No mention of a stuck rope or injury, so I am intrigued to find out why they were 50 feet apart for the recue. I'm not familiar with the area but find it odd that they thought they had no self rescue options and were in need of rescue. All I can imagine is that they were rapping in a spot where they could not find a lower anchor, and could not lead back up to the previous anchor, but then you would think both climbers would be waiting for rescue at the same anchor, and not 50 feet apart. The time of day tells me neither had headlamps.

Then again this could have been a 911 call so they didn't have to leave gear for a rap station or 2... that would be pretty sad if they "needed" a rescue to prevent having to leave a some nuts and some webbing, which they could have gone back to retrieve the next day...

Most likely they lacked the necessary experience to get themselves home safely, or they really need to be educated in the purpose of search and rescue. But this is all speculation (like usual) so anyone who knows what happened or knows the crag have anything less useless to add than my at work ramblings?

redlude97

Nov 8, 2010, 7:25 PM
Post #6 of 27 (18537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
In reply to:
Both had been rappelling and had underestimated the amount of rope they needed to descend the wall. Carlsen was stranded about 250 feet from the bottom and Howard was stranded about 200 feet from the bottom.

That's a pretty serious underestimate. Guess they just didn't bring enough ropes
Yea if IIRC the rap off of red wall is a double rope(or 70m) rappel

Partner j_ung

Nov 8, 2010, 7:30 PM
Post #7 of 27 (18532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbSoHigh] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sound like sport rappellers to me.

colatownkid

Nov 8, 2010, 8:04 PM
Post #8 of 27 (18488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbSoHigh wrote:
I am slightly confused why they were stranded 50 feet apart from eachother.

Based on the description in the article, maybe they were simul-rapping...?

ckirkwood9

Nov 8, 2010, 8:29 PM
Post #9 of 27 (18461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Considering the following quote from article here:

http://www.ktvz.com/news/25663743/detail.html

"A total of 18 SAR members responded to assist in the mission, which took about seven hours to complete, the deputy said."

There must be more than meets the eye here....

if it were a simple, "they rapped, miscalculated the amount of rope and/or didn't have enough experience to get out of the situation"... why would it take 18 search and rescue responders, 7 hours to complete????

(This post was edited by ckirkwood9 on Nov 8, 2010, 8:34 PM)

bill413

Nov 8, 2010, 8:34 PM
Post #10 of 27 (18449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, if they're mounting a SAR, then 18 people does not sound unreasonable. They aren't going to send one or two in - if it were a real situation you'd need a crew.

7 hours does seem long...but maybe it was to teach the rappers a lesson. Tongue

bearbreeder

Nov 8, 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #11 of 27 (18366 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no prussics to ascent the rope?

olympicmtnboy

Nov 9, 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #12 of 27 (18325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

speculating in a vacuum
Yep, sounds like simul sport rapelling to me, by a couple of idjots who didn't know what they were doing. Likely one got to the end of the rope (hopefully they had a knot at least) and couldn't find an anchor, the other was 50 ft above, maybe he found a stance that was better than going all the way down, or maybe they just froze.
/speculating in a vacuum

crjanow

Nov 9, 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #13 of 27 (18324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it would be easy to miscalculate only 250 feetPirate

majid_sabet

Nov 9, 2010, 12:54 AM
Post #14 of 27 (18284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is where a SOL rap kid made by MS could save a life however, a sharp knife is required.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Nov 9, 2010, 12:54 AM)

hyhuu

Nov 9, 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #15 of 27 (18099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ckirkwood9 wrote:

"A total of 18 SAR members responded to assist in the mission, which took about seven hours to complete, the deputy said."

if it were a simple, "they rapped, miscalculated the amount of rope and/or didn't have enough experience to get out of the situation"... why would it take 18 search and rescue responders, 7 hours to complete????

That's because search and rescue is rarely ever simple.

rangerrob

Nov 9, 2010, 1:14 PM
Post #16 of 27 (18085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sounds like the two chuckleheads in the Gunks earlier this year. This is not an emergency!!! This is a mistake, and you should suck it up, call some friends, figure it out...basically, TAKE CARE OF IT YOURSELF!!!!

I don't know about you, but I would crawl out on bloody stumps before I let rescuers save me. It's my decision to do stupid things, and my responsibility to extricate myself from my stupidity.

RR

billl7

Nov 9, 2010, 1:18 PM
Post #17 of 27 (18081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hyhuu wrote:
ckirkwood9 wrote:

That's because search and rescue is rarely ever simple.
Yep ... in my neck of the woods, not only does SAR need to resolve the plight of the unfortunate climbers, but often the plight of the city/county fire department who came out unprepared for the wilderness and exposure to heights ... a hazard of calling 911 without asserting who you need to be connected to: local NM State Police District dispatch.

Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Nov 9, 2010, 1:20 PM)

boymeetsrock

Nov 9, 2010, 1:26 PM
Post #18 of 27 (18078 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Sounds like the two chuckleheads in the Gunks earlier this year. This is not an emergency!!! This is a mistake, and you should suck it up, call some friends, figure it out...basically, TAKE CARE OF IT YOURSELF!!!!

I don't know about you, but I would crawl out on bloody stumps before I let rescuers save me. It's my decision to do stupid things, and my responsibility to extricate myself from my stupidity.

RR

You keep saying this and we keep waiting for the story...

Partner j_ung

Nov 9, 2010, 2:44 PM
Post #19 of 27 (18041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:

RR

I both agree and disagree. For me, yeah, bloody stumps. But, better stupid and embarrassed then stupid and dead. Once they got themselves there, if they just didn't know what to do, then calling for help was a better idea than some half-baked, fucked-up gumby improv, I think.

ClimbSoHigh

Nov 9, 2010, 7:06 PM
Post #20 of 27 (17951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So my vote goes to simu-rappelling with no prussics. It sounds like they would have been fine if they had two ropes from someones post so I don't think that they were simu-rapping with a static tag as their second rope, which having different elasticity could put them both at the ends of the ropes with a 50 foot difference.

I agree with Jung. It is sad if they really did get stuck due to severe lack of necessary knowledge, but it is better to have them rescued than potentially killed in a half ass'ed gumby self rescue. 7 hour rescue does imply there might be more going on here, or that the approach is substantial.

And people need to chill with the Darwin comments, There are plenty of assholes that are a much larger drain on society than the worst gumby climber clusterfuck. I wouldn't wish death on anyone, and a Noob getting in over their head is a lame reason to declare that person deserves to die or should be left to thier own means. It will not promote Darwinism and if you think so, please read up on Darwinism and how it is proposed to work, and you will see that letting gumby's die when they are in a pickle has nothing to do with Darwinism. (Dawrinism is based on genitic traits that promote procreation, and a gumby is uneducated, not ginetically inferior). Letting gumby's die from their mistakes will not prevent more climbers from getting stuck as well, but will close more crags. Other posters who feel that people need to die rather than get rescued kinda scares me, especially if those people are breeding and teaching their kids the same.

These guys seem to be Gumby's stuck on rappel, but deserved to be rescued regardless. (Unless they called 911 to prevent having to leave gear, than that makes them greedy and self-centered, and should be slapped in the face, not killed)

majid_sabet

Nov 9, 2010, 7:15 PM
Post #21 of 27 (17936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbSoHigh wrote:
So my vote goes to simu-rappelling with no prussics. It sounds like they would have been fine if they had two ropes from someones post so I don't think that they were simu-rapping with a static tag as their second rope, which having different elasticity could put them both at the ends of the ropes with a 50 foot difference.

I agree with Jung. It is sad if they really did get stuck due to severe lack of necessary knowledge, but it is better to have them rescued than potentially killed in a half ass'ed gumby self rescue. 7 hour rescue does imply there might be more going on here, or that the approach is substantial.

And people need to chill with the Darwin comments, There are plenty of assholes that are a much larger drain on society than the worst gumby climber clusterfuck. I wouldn't wish death on anyone, and a Noob getting in over their head is a lame reason to declare that person deserves to die or should be left to thier own means. It will not promote Darwinism and if you think so, please read up on Darwinism and how it is proposed to work, and you will see that letting gumby's die when they are in a pickle has nothing to do with Darwinism. (Dawrinism is based on genitic traits that promote procreation, and a gumby is uneducated, not ginetically inferior). Letting gumby's die from their mistakes will not prevent more climbers from getting stuck as well, but will close more crags. Other posters who feel that people need to die rather than get rescued kinda scares me, especially if those people are breeding and teaching their kids the same.

These guys seem to be Gumby's stuck on rappel, but deserved to be rescued regardless. (Unless they called 911 to prevent having to leave gear, than that makes them greedy and self-centered, and should be slapped in the face, not killed)

agreed

redlude97

Nov 9, 2010, 7:42 PM
Post #22 of 27 (17912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the best part is that a rappel isn't even necessary on red wall, there is a maybe 4th class walk off in a gully.

bill413

Nov 10, 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #23 of 27 (17842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
the best part is that a rappel isn't even necessary on red wall, there is a maybe 4th class walk off in a gully.

Ah, but they probably figured they didn't have enough rope for that. Tongue

rl23455

Nov 17, 2010, 5:56 AM
Post #24 of 27 (17556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] stranded on rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They were rappelling Gulag Archipelago.

pendereki

Nov 17, 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #25 of 27 (17486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbSoHigh wrote:

You should read up on the Darwin Award. It is only loosely based on the principles you hold so dear.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook