RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Rmsyll2

Nov 9, 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3218 views)
Shortcut

herniated disc?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The way my back hurts still today Tues. after climbing Sun. suggests more than simply strain. I can barely get to the toilet, much less a doctor to diagnose being impaired with a slipped disc forever. At least at the 'puter I can prop up enough, but not for long.
My question is about how common an injury it is. If someone had said pulling an at-my-limits overhang would do this, I could easily have skipped that variation. Instead of climbing today, now I may never climb again.

LL

blondgecko

Nov 9, 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rmsyll2] herniated disc? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved to Injury Treatment and Prevention.

majid_sabet

Nov 10, 2010, 1:03 AM
Post #3 of 10 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
The way my back hurts still today Tues. after climbing Sun. suggests more than simply strain. I can barely get to the toilet, much less a doctor to diagnose being impaired with a slipped disc forever. At least at the 'puter I can prop up enough, but not for long.
My question is about how common an injury it is. If someone had said pulling an at-my-limits overhang would do this, I could easily have skipped that variation. Instead of climbing today, now I may never climb again.

LL

Do you have pain on your left leg and lower back ?

onceahardman

Nov 10, 2010, 1:56 AM
Post #4 of 10 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:

LL

Where exactly do you feel the symptoms?

Acute back pain is positively crippling, and leads to "panicky" responses, like, "I may never climb again".

Relax. Take it easy for a few days, but not straight bedrest. Get up and walk around every few hours. Most back injuries (~80%) are better in a month, regardless of treatment, which is one reason there are so many "quack" treatments out there.

blondgecko

Nov 10, 2010, 2:35 AM
Post #5 of 10 (3165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] herniated disc? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:

LL

Where exactly do you feel the symptoms?

Acute back pain is positively crippling, and leads to "panicky" responses, like, "I may never climb again".

Relax. Take it easy for a few days, but not straight bedrest. Get up and walk around every few hours. Most back injuries (~80%) are better in a month, regardless of treatment, which is one reason there are so many "quack" treatments out there.

What's your take on magnesium supplements for helping to ease muscle spasms?

onceahardman

Nov 10, 2010, 3:41 AM
Post #6 of 10 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] herniated disc? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What's your take on magnesium supplements for helping to ease muscle spasms?

I don't really know about it. When I did a little research, I found that most of the articles were written by people selling magnesium supplements.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that...I guess. If you suspect the problem is a shortage of magnesium, the that's the answer. I'd suspect calcium or sodium problems first, but that's just me.

I have seen quinine (tonic water) work pretty well for calf cramps at night.

OutsideTribe

Dec 16, 2010, 2:52 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] herniated disc? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck. Disc pain sucks! I have l4/l5 bulge that is listed as severe and probably looking at surgery soon. Its been 11 months and I've tried it all and I'm ready. Can't stand for more than a minute without severe pain in my left buttock and down my left hammy.

Most do heal on their own but right after I injured my (doing almost nothing) I got whooping cough and every cough shot pain down my leg. I think it was just bad timing and didn't allow it to heal.

Wish me luck.

natters

Dec 16, 2010, 5:51 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [OutsideTribe] herniated disc? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I created an account just to post this... I've been there and I feel your pain. ART. It changed my life. Find someone who does active release technique and give it a try. It has completely gotten rid of my 2-year L4/L5 bluging disc problems (pain free and completely active for one year now), as well as a friend's that was in the same situation as me for years. Now he plays hockey!! On top of not being able to do anything, it can also be really isolating when nobody understands that you're in pain... 24hrs a day!!! Good luck with it and try not to get too frustrated and depressed. It can get better and you can get your life back. Back pain sucks.

OutsideTribe

Dec 16, 2010, 6:04 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2922 views)
Shortcut

Re: [natters] herniated disc? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard of it but I thought that was for tight muscles. How does it "heal" a disc?

Thanks for the input.

OutsideTribe

Dec 16, 2010, 6:11 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [natters] herniated disc? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hockey is what I miss most. I usually play 2 nights a week and coach my 2 sons and build a backyard rink.

Not this year. It sucks.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook