First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

blueeyedclimber

Nov 12, 2010, 3:07 PM
Post #1 of 48 (5904 views)
Shortcut

The NBA Thread
Report this Post
Can't Post

We've had a football thread, but I haven't seen anything about basketball.

Just a few points:

The CELTICS will win the championship this year and here's why:

1) Rondo is THE best point guard in the NBA. What's funny is that he is not a shooter so often the defense gives him the shot and he STILL dominates. He is a clutch shooter, however, and has burned teams that have left him open.

2) Ray Allen is on fire. Reggie Miller's record for 3's will soon be a distant memory.

3) KG is healthy and tearing up the league.

4) Glen Davis is the early favorite for NBA's 6th man award.

5) Two former All-stars named O'neal have joined the team, but all we need from them is to plug the middle and throw their weight around. Any scoring from either is a bonus.

6) The Celtics are probably the ONLY team in the league that are 15 deep.

7) They have the best record in the East and have not had an easy schedule like the Lakers have had.

8)Semih Erden has been a pleasant surprise.

9) The Celtics know that they were 10 minutes from a championship last year and all that did them in was they weren't big enough. Gasol? Meet Shaq.

10) The Celtics have the best bench in the league.

11) From the Captain, Paul Pierce, all the way down to #15, they play TEAM basketball.

Any Lakers, Heats, or Magic fans out there? You can suck it! Cool

Josh

blueeyedclimber

Nov 12, 2010, 3:54 PM
Post #2 of 48 (5893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] The NBA Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree.

So, none of you California climbers are basketball fans.

Kobe Bryant belongs in prison and Pau Gasol looks like a giraffe.

Lebron James is a selfish prick and Dwayne Wade is the most overrated player in the league.

Stan Van Gundy belongs in the circus and Dwight Howard thinks he can flex and smile his way to a championship.

Josh

justroberto

Nov 12, 2010, 4:37 PM
Post #3 of 48 (5882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Indifference. Maybe it's because I was downright terrible at basketball, but I can't understand my friends' fascination with watching some overpaid genetic freaks dunk on each other. I do dig the whole March Madness thing at the collegiate level, but that's about as far as I can go.

Rob's annotated list of boring shit to watch on ESPN, in increasing order of painfulness:

Golf
Bowling
Bass Fishing
Pro Football
Pro Basketball
Pro Baseball
Nascar

Rob's annotated list of awesome shit to watch on ESPN:

Hurling

(This post was edited by justroberto on Nov 12, 2010, 4:38 PM)

blueeyedclimber

Nov 12, 2010, 4:46 PM
Post #4 of 48 (5874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] The NBA Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
Indifference. Maybe it's because I was downright terrible at basketball, but I can't understand my friends' fascination with watching some overpaid genetic freaks dunk on each other. I do dig the whole March Madness thing at the collegiate level, but that's about as far as I can go.

Rob's annotated list of boring shit to watch on ESPN, in increasing order of painfulness:

Golf
Bowling
Bass Fishing
Pro Football
Pro Basketball
Pro Baseball
Nascar

Rob's annotated list of awesome shit to watch on ESPN:

Hurling

Fair enough. I happened to be a playground legend (in my own mind), but Basketball, or pro sports in general, are not for everyone. BUT, comparing it to Golf and NASCAR? Nevermind FISHING! Blech!

And Hurling? What moron came up with that sport? Here, let me slide this oversized shuffleboard on the ice and you sweep up everything in it's path. Sure, buddy, as long as we smoke more crack. Laugh

Josh

edited to say: Oh wait, did I just describe CURLING? Ahh, who cares, they both sound boring!

(This post was edited by blueeyedclimber on Nov 12, 2010, 4:47 PM)

justroberto

Nov 12, 2010, 5:00 PM
Post #5 of 48 (5868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! Hurling is way different than curling. As far as I can tell, it's hockey without any pads or discernable rules...

I grew up in South Carolina where SEC football was about the only thing people cared about. The only NBA team in the area was the Hawks, so aside from Spud Webb, there wasn't too much to be interested in. It definitely wasn't one of the great pro cities like Boston, LA, Miami and Chicago.

justroberto

Nov 12, 2010, 5:10 PM
Post #6 of 48 (5862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually do remember being pretty impressed with Rondo during last year's finals. Nate Robinson was fun to watch, too, when he got in. I'd probably watch a few games if they made it again, but good lord, the roster is borderline geriatric!

I'll be most impressed if Shaq, KG, Allen, and Pierce all make it through the season without breaking a hip.

blueeyedclimber

Nov 12, 2010, 5:30 PM
Post #7 of 48 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] The NBA Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
I actually do remember being pretty impressed with Rondo during last year's finals. Nate Robinson was fun to watch, too, when he got in. I'd probably watch a few games if they made it again, but good lord, the roster is borderline geriatric!

I'll be most impressed if Shaq, KG, Allen, and Pierce all make it through the season without breaking a hip.

Shaq is really the only one who needs his minutes seriously watched. The rest are in great shape and playing well. But, it's a long season, so we'll see.

Josh

chadnsc

Nov 12, 2010, 5:40 PM
Post #8 of 48 (5857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
And Hurling? What moron came up with that sport? Here, let me slide this oversized shuffleboard on the ice and you sweep up everything in it's path. Sure, buddy, as long as we smoke more crack. Laugh

Sweep damn you! SWEEP!

Oh and for me watching basketball is about as entertaining as watching curling. Crazy

bill413

Nov 12, 2010, 5:48 PM
Post #9 of 48 (5854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] The NBA Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, I find Curling oddly fascinating to watch.

Hurling, however, was something I watched far to closely at several parties to be interested in seeing again.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 12, 2010, 7:43 PM
Post #10 of 48 (5839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:

Just a few points:

1) Rondo is THE best point guard in the NBA. What's funny is that he is not a shooter so often the defense gives him the shot and he STILL dominates. He is a clutch shooter, however, and has burned teams that have left him open.

2) Ray Allen is on fire. Reggie Miller's record for 3's will soon be a distant memory.

5) Two former All-stars named O'neal have joined the team, but all we need from them is to plug the middle and throw their weight around. Any scoring from either is a bonus.

7) They have the best record in the East and have not had an easy schedule like the Lakers have had.

9) The Celtics know that they were 10 minutes from a championship last year and all that did them in was they weren't big enough. Gasol? Meet Shaq.

11) From the Captain, Paul Pierce, all the way down to #15, they play TEAM basketball.

Josh

1) Rondo isn't the best PG for team USA, isn't the best in the NBA.

2) You know that Reggie's record is a career record, and not directly linked to current performanc?

3) Don't you mean that KG is belittling the league?

4) Glen Davis is also the favorite for the 6th meal award (but Shaq is close)

5) Outside of thee ability to give fouls, I'm missing their roles.

blah blah blah

Time waits for no man or team. The celtics time has past. Sorry to be th one to tell you.

blueeyedclimber

Nov 12, 2010, 7:54 PM
Post #11 of 48 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] The NBA Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Just a few points:

Josh

2) You know that Reggie's record is a career record, and not directly linked to current performanc?

blah blah blah

Time waits for no man or team. The celtics time has past. Sorry to be th one to tell you.

When Nebraska gets a team, then you can have an opinion. Basketball is way different than husking corn, so I don't blame you for not being able to keep up.

As for being old, that's what they said last year. They were supposed to have no chance against Cleveland. Or the Magic. Or the Lakers. They were 10 minutes and one big man short of a championship.

Don't be a hater Tongue

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 12, 2010, 8:09 PM
Post #12 of 48 (5831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Just a few points:

Josh

blah blah blah

When Nebraska gets a team, then you can have an opinion. Basketball is way different than husking corn, so I don't blame you for not being able to keep up.

As for being old, that's what they said last year. They were supposed to have no chance against Cleveland. Or the Magic. Or the Lakers. They were 10 minutes and one big man short of a championship.

Don't be a hater Tongue

Well, good showing you NBA ignorance. Before they were the sacramento queens, they were the kc/omaha kings. So there was pro basketball in Neb.

Um, yeah, 10 minutes with the so-callled best player on the planet laying an egg and Mr. Crazy saving the day. You know, you sound like a cleveland fan. Always talking about how close you came. The team you root for lost. They got older, not better. And it is only the hype that makes you think they will do better this year. Celts are an aging knee or back or foot away from a first round exit. If you need more recent history, look at the Pistons. Great team, full of coulda woulda shoulda..

I'm an equal opportunity hater.

blueeyedclimber

Nov 12, 2010, 8:29 PM
Post #13 of 48 (5827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All right, some trash talking.

Well, let's see where do I start. Oh yeah, I am from Boston, where We have had more professional championships in the last 10 years than any other city. Woulda coulda shoulda? Uhhh...we did.

Now let's talk about this year. Who are you rooting for? The Heat? 0-2 against the Celtics. The Lakers? Well, they are the reigning champs so they are the team to beat. But, they are not getting any younger either. The Magic? They will continue to do nothing and prove nothing.

Tongue

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 12, 2010, 9:11 PM
Post #14 of 48 (5819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
All right, some trash talking.

Well, let's see where do I start. Oh yeah, I am from Boston, where We have had more professional championships in the last 10 years than any other city. Woulda coulda shoulda? Uhhh...we did.

Now let's talk about this year. Who are you rooting for? The Heat? 0-2 against the Celtics. The Lakers? Well, they are the reigning champs so they are the team to beat. But, they are not getting any younger either. The Magic? They will continue to do nothing and prove nothing.

Tongue

The b-ball team you root for won once this decade, if you want me to talk about your cheating baseball team or your cheeting football team or your forgettable hockey team, I will. Like I said, look at the pistons. Trust me you sound just like them 4 years ago. They too were sure they were going to get another championship. They didn't.

I don't root for anyone. I gave up emotionally investing in laundry years ago. I appreciate the players and the game.

Now who do I think will win? Not the Heat, and not because of how they play in November (or did you forget how the celts played last winter?). The Heat's best players play the same position (scoring guard). I'm impressed by Howards development, but until he sinks free throws like Gasol, I'll stay away from them.

Can the celts win the east? sure it is possible. But if they were in the west we would be (not) talking about them like the Spurs. (Solid team, old, don't count them out, but not the favorites - except to their blind fans.)

Sorry, but get used to annoying headlines of the Lakers with as many championships as the Celts and stories of Kobe better than Bird. And you can thank Lebron and Shaq for keeping LA focused.

donald949

Nov 12, 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #15 of 48 (5806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:

Just a few points:

Josh
Sigh.
Shaq in a Celtic uniform. Oh the humanity.
How can this be. Unsure
Not that I blame Shaq. They gave him the boot and sent him away for a couple of stiffs. Just to keep a certain spoiled kid happy. So he's free to go where ever he feels best.
In any head to head Shaq vs Kobe I'd root for Shaq, except Boston. Except Boston. The home of more frustration for LA area teams than the rest of the country combined.
So its Nov. There's a long season ahead of us. Its hard to get excited yet.

blueeyedclimber

Nov 12, 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #16 of 48 (5803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha! Cheaters? That's rich!

We'll see in June.

Josh

Btw, how are the Corn Huskers doing?

chadnsc

Nov 13, 2010, 4:36 PM
Post #17 of 48 (5782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] The NBA Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you all still talking about sliding stones across ice or throwin' up?

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 13, 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #18 of 48 (5776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Haha! Cheaters? That's rich!

We'll see in June.

Josh

Btw, how are the Corn Huskers doing?

The Bo-sox were on steroids, duh. To deny that is to be the blindest kind of fan. Your not going to try to say "but everyone else is too"? Gawd I hate that excuse. The sox cheated and won. You can't now go back and claim any kind of clean win.

As for the Pats, yes they cheated, but the extent of it is unknown. Too bad about that woulda coulda shoulda of the greatest team. Now know as the best stupor bowl loosers of all time. But they still lost.

As for the celts, not cheaters, but, have you drunk enough kool-aid to think that your coach isn't a liability?

As of now, the huskers have one loss. I don't care about them either, except that it is nice when they do well because it makes co-workers nicer to be around and the stores easier to shop in on Saturday. But the huskers won't again be national champs until they return to the days of pumping their linemen with steroids.

As for "see in June", I think we'll have a better idea of the celts a little earlier than that. By end of May a quick look at the injury list will tell their fate. And the thing about being able to turn the switch on come playoff time is that one day the higher gear just doesn't kick in. It is a good bet that this year is the year.

Like I said, the Celts are the Pistons part deux.

dr_feelgood

Nov 14, 2010, 1:49 AM
Post #19 of 48 (5766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the corporate sports franchise from my region is superior to the corporate sports franchise from your region.

curt

Nov 14, 2010, 6:43 AM
Post #20 of 48 (5758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:

Just a few points:

The CELTICS will win the championship this year and here's why...

Hahahahahahahaha... Dream on. The Lakers will own your ass again this year.

Curt

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 14, 2010, 1:20 PM
Post #21 of 48 (5749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] The NBA Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
the corporate sports franchise from my region is superior to the corporate sports franchise from your region.

Oh yeah? The university I didn't attend near me is better at paying their athletes than the university near you.

And since I live hear, I must be better than you as well.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 14, 2010, 1:24 PM
Post #22 of 48 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:

You also forgot to add the possesive in the right place. It is important that you feel like you are a participant in the corporate franchise - it is yours. The team is not a third party entity but "mine" (even though you own 0 percent). You bought something there, so it is yours.

blueeyedclimber

Nov 14, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #23 of 48 (5740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] The NBA Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Just a few points:

Curt

Finally! A Lakers fan! Now, back to my original comment....Hey, Curt, Suck it! Tongue

Plus, it's very hard to repeat and the Celtics are hungry!

Oh and when I said Gasol looks like a Giraffe, I actually meant Ostrich! I look forward to him sticking his long neck in the sand come June. Cool

Josh

curt

Nov 15, 2010, 12:10 AM
Post #24 of 48 (5704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
curt wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Just a few points:

Curt

Finally! A Lakers fan! Now, back to my original comment....Hey, Curt, Suck it! Tongue

Plus, it's very hard to repeat...

Lakers already did repeat--last year.

blueeyedclimber wrote:
...and the Celtics are hungry!

Sounds like they're the ones who should be sucking it, then. Cool

Curt

caughtinside

Nov 15, 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #25 of 48 (5699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:

but the employees of the corporation near me have their contracts expiring, and are motivated by lucrative new contracts to work harder.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook