RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Jenw87

Nov 5, 2010, 5:38 AM
Post #1 of 18 (25208 views)
Shortcut

Bunions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Much to my dismay, my podiatrist tells me I am getting bunions from my climbing shoes.

I need new shoes that are wide enough to accommodate for my bunion.

Does anyone else suffer bunions from climbing and can anyone suggest what shoes might be a good option?

Thanks!

blondgecko

Nov 5, 2010, 5:41 AM
Post #2 of 18 (25205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jenw87] Bunions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't mind me. Librarian coming through.

Express

Nov 5, 2010, 6:50 PM
Post #3 of 18 (25124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Damn, sorry to hear that. The Wiki article on Bunions has some mention of splints and orthotics to keep your toe in a better position, but my guess is probably you're going to need a very non-aggressive shoe like a trad shoe or a rental-type shoe and you're going to need to size up a little bit. Assuming, from your handle, that you're a woman, you may want to look into a men's climbing shoe, as they will probably be a bit wider.

plasticookies

Nov 8, 2010, 2:41 PM
Post #4 of 18 (25051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Express] Bunions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Express wrote:
The Wiki article on Bunions has some mention of splints and orthotics to keep your toe in a better position

No suggestions for shoes (probably best to just try everything at your local shop and find the widest/most asymmetrical one), but just want to say to stay away flexible splints.

My podiatrist convinced me to buy a flexible (hinged) splint that was apparently designed to be run with. Spent $150 and am really regretting it. They barely fit into my running shoes, never mind climbing shoes, and they shift around with use, making them completely ineffective.

dreday3000

Nov 8, 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #5 of 18 (25025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What are your symptoms?

mr_rogers

Nov 8, 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #6 of 18 (25011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have bunions. I started to develop them before I started climbing (darn my mother's foot genetics), but I'm sure that climbing shoes haven't helped the matter.

I wear orthotics in my street shoes and assorted hiking, ice-climbing, and ski boots. But I don't wear them in my rock shoes or wear any sort of special rock shoe - just what fits. A lace up might be a better choice as with creative lacing you can accommodate the bulge at the ball of your foot without loosening up the rest of the shoe.

At the end of the day though, a snug fitting climbing shoe is going to aggravate your bunions some. Especially if it is aggressively cambered or you're wearing the shoes for a long period of time.

(This post was edited by mr_rogers on Nov 9, 2010, 1:36 AM)

Jenw87

Nov 8, 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #7 of 18 (24996 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr_rogers] Bunions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My podiatrist actually made me a splint that sits snuggly between my toes, but doesn't fit so great between most of my shoes. I don't wear it climbing, but when I come home and put it in it's a massive relief.

I was considering a lace up for that same reason - although my bump isn't too big now, I just wanted something that wouldn't irritate it further.

Thanks for the input guys :)

sp115

Nov 9, 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #8 of 18 (24985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When my wife had bunions (she's since had operations on both feet) she swore by her Five-Ten UFO's. In fact she still has them. I'm not sure if they currently make a shoe with a similar last, though the Jet sort of looks like them?

Edit: hmm, maybe the V-mile might be a better choice, given how aggressive the Jet looks?

(This post was edited by sp115 on Nov 9, 2010, 12:15 AM)

gblauer

Nov 15, 2010, 2:22 AM
Post #9 of 18 (24898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not have bunions, but I do have hallux rigidus in both big toes. My husband made me carbon fiber inserts for my climbing shoes (I sized up a FULL size, I wear Evolv Rockstars).

aerili

Nov 15, 2010, 4:00 AM
Post #10 of 18 (24882 views)
Shortcut

Re: [plasticookies] Bunions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

plasticookies wrote:
No suggestions for shoes (probably best to just try everything at your local shop and find the widest/most asymmetrical one), but just want to say to stay away flexible splints.

Wide, yes, but NOT asymmetrical. A symmetrical shoe should be much better, most likely.

plasticookies

Nov 15, 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #11 of 18 (24860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Bunions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A symmetrical shoes would better "fit" a foot with a bunion because the toe is pointed inwards, but it will serve exacerbate the problem by continuing to shove the big toe towards the center of the foot leading to a bigger bunion.

aerili

Nov 15, 2010, 7:39 PM
Post #12 of 18 (24836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [plasticookies] Bunions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, high heels and most dress shoes are somewhat asymmetrical and, as far as I know, often part of the exacerbation/cause of bunions for many people. They are usually recommended to wear a more symmetrical and looser-fitting shoe, right? However, I do think the most important issue is the width of the shoe: tightness = problems.

Of course, a foot doctor would be the best resource for this individual.

onceahardman

Nov 15, 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #13 of 18 (24822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There exists a mechanical device for stretching shoes, specifically for stretching out a big old golf ball-sized space for your bunion.

We had one at a place I once worked, maybe a place that makes orthotic footwear would do it for you. You may need to leave the shoes on the stretcher overnight.

plasticookies

Nov 16, 2010, 5:52 AM
Post #14 of 18 (24788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Bunions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Well, high heels and most dress shoes tare somewhat asymmetrical and, as far as I know, often part of the exacerbation/cause of bunions for many people. They are usually recommended to wear a more symmetrical and looser-fitting shoe, right? However, I do think the most important issue is the width of the shoe: tightness = problems.

Of course, a foot doctor would be the best resource for this individual.

The thing with high heels is that your toe is constantly bent back and for someone with the beginnings of a bunion, the toe tends to get pushed back and inward. Plus, high heels tend to be super tight up front.

I really don't mean to be argumentative...It's just that bunions seems to run in my family and I've done a lot of research/seen a lot of doctors and health professionals to try and keep mine from progressing.

sp115

Nov 16, 2010, 1:32 PM
Post #15 of 18 (24773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Bunions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
There exists a mechanical device for stretching shoes, specifically for stretching out a big old golf ball-sized space for your bunion.

We had one at a place I once worked, maybe a place that makes orthotic footwear would do it for you. You may need to leave the shoes on the stretcher overnight.

I've had this done on hockey skates and it made a huge difference, but I'm not sure how successful it would be if the bunion hits the rand. The elastic nature of the rand will most likely maintain its shape.

sidepull

Nov 16, 2010, 2:22 PM
Post #16 of 18 (24763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't most people get some sort of growth on their big toes from extensive climbing? Isn't this the source of "five ten toe"?

matterunomama

Nov 24, 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #17 of 18 (24621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had bunions for 25 years and I never wore high heels-mostly I was barefoot or sneakers. A lot of it is genetic and/or gait related (I roll my feet inward). I have found that Evolve shoes work well-I wear a size smaller than my street shoe size. I can't tolerate a downturned shoe for more than a few minutes but the Evolve Defys are not a terrible shoe and they are very comfortable, even with my D-width feet. I kid you not. D-width.

Juha_H

Jan 12, 2012, 8:39 PM
Post #18 of 18 (23089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there,

I tore my knee in January of 2010 while skiing telemark. After the knee injury I have been limping around and it seems to affect my left foot. Recently my left foot has been really painful and I saw orthosurgeon about the foot pain and ask what he think about it. Surgeon took pictures from my aching foot and told that I have bunions and probably incipient arthritis in big toe. In other words, Hallux valgus.

Climbing is one of the only sports that I'm able to do (exept water running) after my knee injury and I would love to continue climbing.

My question is that is it possible to find climbing shoes that are made for patients who are suffering Hallux valgus/bunions?

My left foot with hallux valgus. Ouch.

Thanks in advance and stay away from injuries Smile

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook