Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Rapid City, SD and Black Hills
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

too_far_gone

Nov 16, 2010, 3:06 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1833 views)
Shortcut

Rapid City, SD and Black Hills  (North_America: United_States: South_Dakota)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm moving up to Rapid City in January for school and will be there for 2 and half years. I'm looking for some guidebooks to cruise through before I get there. I've done a search and could only find some old threads and would like some updated info on the Black Hills.

Also, I'm going to need some climbing partners. Sport, trad, or bouldering. I prefer the rope, but will gladly boulder. I've got all the gear, but not a partner up there. Any locals willing to show me around a bit?

moose_droppings

Nov 16, 2010, 3:36 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [too_far_gone] Rapid City, SD and Black Hills [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

too_far_gone wrote:
I'm moving up to Rapid City in January for school and will be there for 2 and half years. I'm looking for some guidebooks to cruise through before I get there. I've done a search and could only find some old threads and would like some updated info on the Black Hills.

Also, I'm going to need some climbing partners. Sport, trad, or bouldering. I prefer the rope, but will gladly boulder. I've got all the gear, but not a partner up there. Any locals willing to show me around a bit?

Granite Sports in Hill Silly has guide books, if you can't find any on the net.

I'd be glad to show you around but I'm not allowed to climb yet with my back the way it is. Finding partners isn't to tough at the sport crags. If you hang out long enough at the parking lots at Sylvan, Needles Eye or Cathedral Spires you can hook up usually. Asking at Granite Sports wouldn't hurt either.

You do any ice? There is almost always a window of good weather for free climbing throughout our winters.

too_far_gone

Nov 23, 2010, 6:01 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Rapid City, SD and Black Hills [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry to hear about your back. Injuries are always frustrating. Thanks for the reply and I'll definitely remember to hit those places up.

I've done ice twice before on borrowed gear. It was fun, but I just can't afford to buy my own. And I like the rock better anyhow. I'm psyched to climb up there. Everything looks good.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook