Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Nov 18, 2010, 4:53 AM
Post #1 of 137 (13338 views)
Shortcut

Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (36 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anonymous post ratings do not work, and the system should either be changed such that raters are held publicly accountable for their ratings, or post ratings should be discontinued altogether.

Here I posted a link to a professional-quality video of two climbers doing one of the most famous and infamous routes of all time: the Bachar–Yerian—and it gets three votes, all one-star.

Enough is enough. Either hold people publicly accountable for their post ratings, or do away with post ratings altogether. The current system does not work.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Nov 18, 2010, 4:54 AM)

sbaclimber

Nov 18, 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #2 of 137 (13312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have no opinion as to whether or not the system "works", but I am honestly curious why anyone actually cares.
What is, in your opinion, the purpose of the system?

...I have yet to have figured out any valid/useful purpose the system might be used for...Crazy

jaablink

Nov 18, 2010, 1:17 PM
Post #3 of 137 (13300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (21 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Anonymous post ratings do not work, and the system should either be changed such that raters are held publicly accountable for their ratings, or post ratings should be discontinued altogether.

Here I posted a link to a professional-quality video of two climbers doing one of the most famous and infamous routes of all time: the Bachar–Yerian—and it gets three votes, all one-star.

Enough is enough. Either hold people publicly accountable for their post ratings, or do away with post ratings altogether. The current system does not work.

Jay
Maybe we should have a kills file, and make fun of everyone too. That makes more sense….you hypocrite .
Leave it to a sport climber to change their environment and make some aspect of it known, where the rest of us thrive in the unknown.
You have insulted and rundown many users on this site in the past and the present. Even after you bitched and complained for pages about better beer in the bar , you are still the noise. A leader leads by example. Do as I say and not as I do , is not setting a good example Jay.

This star is from me… kisses from Peru XXX

Partner camhead

Nov 18, 2010, 2:14 PM
Post #4 of 137 (13286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (21 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

Jay

What "doesn't work" about them? Did it affect your link? Did it prevent you from logging in? Did it delete your thread?

The only thing that one star ratings do is show, democratically, if the community thinks you're a douchebag or not. Since you already know what the collective intelligence of the community is, JT, then I would think that you shouldn't care about one-star ratings. If you did, it would just be a sign of your existing petty insecurities.

(This post was edited by camhead on Nov 18, 2010, 2:35 PM)

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 18, 2010, 5:08 PM
Post #5 of 137 (13253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (23 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't actually have anything to add, but it seems that people are getting 5 stars for posting up anything in response to yours, so...

Neener neener neener!

jt512

Nov 18, 2010, 5:43 PM
Post #6 of 137 (13248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (28 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

What "doesn't work" about them?

It's a pretty simple concept, Paul. They don't do what they were intended to do. That is, they don't reflect the quality of posts.

In reply to:
The only thing that one star ratings do is show, democratically, if the community thinks you're a douchebag or not.

First of all, they don't show that. They show that there are a few obsessive lunatics who down-rate the posts of myself and a few others. This practice would stop immediately if the voters' names were disclosed, as they are on MP, as well as on photo ratings here.

If the site wants the post ratings to reliably reflect the quality of the posts, then the system needs to be changed so that votes are not anonymous. Alternatively, just drop the ratings altogether, since they're not doing what was intended.

Jay

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 18, 2010, 5:57 PM
Post #7 of 137 (13240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (16 ratings)  
Can't Post

The only rating system here that ever meant anything was the big steamy piles of shit. I loved those things.

Shroom

Nov 18, 2010, 8:28 PM
Post #8 of 137 (13219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (35 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
camhead wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

What "doesn't work" about them?

It's a pretty simple concept, Paul. They don't do what they were intended to do. That is, they don't reflect the quality of posts.

Actually, I find that the vast majority of star ratings do exactly what they are supposed to do. Users like rgold get consistantly high star ratings because they post useful, knowlegeable content in a clear, concise, respectful way.

Other users like usnavy who obviously do not know what they are talking about get one starred, and usually their advice is quoted and refuted so that rank and file amateurs do not take their advise seriously.

Then there are a special few who earn one stars because they have pissed someone off, earned no respect, nor shown any modicum of human decency in a vast percentage of their posts. Perhaps your one star ratings are less about the content of your material, and more about your shortcomings as a decent human being.

jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
The only thing that one star ratings do is show, democratically, if the community thinks you're a douchebag or not.

First of all, they don't show that. They show that there are a few obsessive lunatics who down-rate the posts of myself and a few others. This practice would stop immediately if the voters' names were disclosed, as they are on MP, as well as on photo ratings here.

If the site wants the post ratings to reliably reflect the quality of the posts, then the system needs to be changed so that votes are not anonymous. Alternatively, just drop the ratings altogether, since they're not doing what was intended.

Jay

The votes are doing what they were designed for, just not doing what you want them to do, which is cast your opinions in a favorable light. You got one starred, so what? If you truly wanted to help the site, then you could always step back and change your posting style, or better yet, leave.

I don't see that happening, personally, as you were once stripped of moderator status because you were unwilling to engage in civil dialogue.

You find a perceived weakness in other posters, and then harp on them till the bitter end, always with the last word, as if that will make you right. Make sure you push the TOS for personal attack without crossing the line. The bloodletting fiasco with adatesman was fun for you, wasn't it? Hitting a man who was obviously in a fragile state just so you could win what? An internet argument? If you can't be a mod, why should others who you deem less worthy?

Fact is, you need this place and it kills you to think that RC doesn't need you. You rarely post on MP or Supertopo, because your BS would get called out and your inferior knowlege would get exposed by better climbers than you. If I recall correctly, you were banned from here once, and had to offer an apology so that you could get back on because you need RC. You thrive on looking and feeling smart and wise, but now your abrasive personality threatens to undermine your own efforts. I say good, it's high time you reap what you sow.

FYI, none of the one stars are mine, I never use that feature, and you are usually not worth the effort. I just felt like responding to your little whiny rant while waiting for my lunch to heat up.

caughtinside

Nov 19, 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #10 of 137 (13167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (12 ratings)  
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
I don't actually have anything to add, but it seems that people are getting 5 stars for posting up anything in response to yours, so...

Neener neener neener!

Gongratulations on this high quality post!

boymeetsrock

Nov 19, 2010, 2:23 AM
Post #11 of 137 (13145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

I nominate this the best thread ever.

God forbid Jay have to hear what others think of him and not be able to hide it behind a computer program.

I would say that if the star ratings did have accountability I would actually rate more post, especially Jay's drivel.

What you want to bet Jay thinks there have only been two responses to this thread so far?

blueeyedclimber

Nov 19, 2010, 2:44 AM
Post #12 of 137 (13134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (18 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

Jay

hmmm. Exactly one day ago, you called me a whiner. Ironic? I think so.

I can't believe that you are surprised that people don't appreciate your "quality" posts. You spend so much time berating users it must be your job. If you want people to not star-bomb you, then stop being a douche. It's really quite simple. I have been teaching elementary school for 12 years and have NEVER had a child show as poor social behavior as you do. You are really quite pathetic to think that you will get a sympathetic ear here.

Josh

dr_feelgood

Nov 19, 2010, 3:37 AM
Post #13 of 137 (13118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

hmmm. Exactly one day ago, you called me a whiner. Ironic? I think so.

I can't believe that you are surprised that people don't appreciate your "quality" posts. You spend so much time berating users it must be your job. If you want people to not star-bomb you, then stop being a douche. It's really quite simple. I have been teaching elementary school for 12 years and have NEVER had a child show as poor social behavior as you do. You are really quite pathetic to think that you will get a sympathetic ear here.

Josh

Don't antagonize the guy, or he might invade tsarist russia.

drivel

Nov 19, 2010, 3:52 AM
Post #14 of 137 (13109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

boymeetsrock wrote:

God forbid Jay have to hear what others think of him and not be able to hide it behind a computer program.

I would say that if the star ratings did have accountability I would actually rate more post, especially Jay's drivel.

What you want to bet Jay thinks there have only been two responses to this thread so far?

dude, who told you i was jay's?

boymeetsrock

Nov 19, 2010, 2:00 PM
Post #15 of 137 (13052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drivel] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

drivel wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:

dude, who told you i was jay's?

Your sig gives it away.

Back on topic:

notapplicable

Nov 20, 2010, 6:28 AM
Post #16 of 137 (12993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jay's right, this crap is unacceptable!

I too have suffered unwarranted 1 staring of my content by some oedipal, knuckle dragging basement dweller. There must be a change to the system and I'm thinking only of my fellow users when I say this. Those poor souls who are being deprived of priority access to my valuable contributions when using the search function.

Think of the children!

jt512

Nov 20, 2010, 6:47 AM
Post #17 of 137 (12990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (18 ratings)  
Can't Post

Another option would be to simply go to a thumbs-up-only rating system. Worthwhile posts would thus be voted up, but there would be no way to penalize high-quality posts out of personal animosity toward the poster.

Jay

squierbypetzl

Nov 20, 2010, 7:46 AM
Post #18 of 137 (12985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (12 ratings)  
Can't Post

I freely admit you have posted high quality posts, Jay. It's a shame you've created such a name for yourself through the berating of other users. Did some deserve it? Maybe a few, I can think of several who definitely did not.

Ironically, you could be one of the more appreciated and respected posters on the whole site if you didn't have a history of lashing out at others.

edge

Nov 20, 2010, 3:07 PM
Post #19 of 137 (12962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Another option would be to simply go to a thumbs-up-only rating system. Worthwhile posts would thus be voted up, but there would be no way to penalize high-quality posts out of personal animosity toward the poster.

Jay

And also no way to penalize low quality posts that get voted up in the trad forums by floridagymclymber4lyfe's spotter friends.

notapplicable

Nov 20, 2010, 5:49 PM
Post #20 of 137 (12949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

Jay

I actually like being able to vote a post up or down depending on it's quality but I have never liked the fact that you cannot see whos doing the voting. I'm with you on this but I don't imagine that a change will actually be made.

wiki

Dec 4, 2010, 5:01 AM
Post #21 of 137 (12783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Another forum site that I am on has a very good rating system...

A poster gets 'reputation' points for a post (optional of course).

The points must be accompanied with an intelligent comment or it gets deleted.

A list of the people who gave you points and their comments appears in your profile.

both positive and negative points can be given.

Your 'reputation' points show up under your name whenever you post.

This works because:

It isn't anonymous - if someone is stalking you, it can be reported.

There has to be a reason - even if it is because you have just been a dick (or not).

If you are actually a dick (or not), everyone can see it straight away rather than figuring it out from your posts spread throughout the forum.

Believe it or not, this actually works. Helps keep people in line a little bit as well!

jt512

Dec 4, 2010, 5:10 AM
Post #22 of 137 (12781 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

wiki wrote:

A list of the people who gave you points and their comments appears in your profile.

This works because:

There has to be a reason - even if it is because you have just been a dick (or not).

If you are actually a dick (or not), everyone can see it straight away rather than figuring it out from your posts spread throughout the forum.

Believe it or not, this actually works. Helps keep people in line a little bit as well!

I definitely believe it would work, and I'd highly encourage this website to adopt the system.

Jay

airscape

Dec 4, 2010, 7:50 AM
Post #23 of 137 (12756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

wiki wrote:

This works because:

THe mods are going to have to read a hell of a lot of comments.

I'm glad I don't have that job.

I don't see how this will stop Jay from being a dick though.

wiki

Dec 4, 2010, 8:18 PM
Post #24 of 137 (12708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Anonymous post ratings: enough is enough [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
wiki wrote:

This works because:

THe mods are going to have to read a hell of a lot of comments.

I'm glad I don't have that job.

I don't see how this will stop Jay from being a dick though.

They won't have to - if you get a rating without a comment, you can complain.

It won't stop anyone being a dick if they want to be but at least there are some consequences for it...

boymeetsrock

Dec 5, 2010, 2:51 AM
Post #25 of 137 (12683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
wiki wrote:

This works because:

I definitely believe it would work, and I'd highly encourage this website to adopt the system.

Jay

So this would cause you to stop being a dick? Or you would just agree to wear the name tag?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook