Forums: Climbing Information: Accident and Incident Analysis:
Owens Valley California fall, October - any info?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

tradtimbo

Nov 19, 2010, 6:50 PM
Post #1 of 5 (4144 views)
Shortcut

Owens Valley California fall, October - any info?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

here is the article: http://www.inyoregister.com/node/809

I'm trying to get more info on this accident. I thought Owens was a sport climbing place?

In reply to:
October 18, 2010

An inmate crew from Owens Valley Cal Fire Camp carried an injured climber from a remote section of the Owens River Gorge to waiting emergency vehicles on Saturday. The woman reportedly suffered a broken pelvis and fractured spine but is lucky to be alive. Photo courtesy Owens Valley Cal Fire Camp
A 29-year-old woman survived an estimated 100-foot fall on Saturday while climbing the Owens River Gorge.
The victim reportedly free fell about 40 feet from the face of the Gorge just north of China Wall on the east side of the Owens River, before becoming tangled in her climbing rope and falling an additional 60 feet to the ground.
Climber and Bishop resident Olivia Nguyen witnessed the accident about 3 p.m. from the opposite side of the Gorge while belaying a climbing partner.
Nguyen said she and her climbing partner and Nguyen’s boyfriend and his climbing partner reacted almost immediately. The two men ran to the injured climber’s side, placing her on one of the makeshift stretchers left in the Gorge for just such emergencies.
Nguyen grabbed her friend’s cell phone and her own car keys – “Something told me to take my keys with me,” she said – and ran the mile back up to the rim of the Gorge where she could get reception to make the 911 call.
Dispatchers advised Nguyen to park her vehicle at the entrance to the Gorge at U.S. 395 so emergency vehicles could find the site easily – which made Nguyen grateful she’d brought her keys with her.
Sheriff’s units and Inyo County Search and Rescue were dispatched to the scene, along with Symons Ambulance. An inmate crew from Owens Valley Cal Fire Camp in nearby Round Valley was also dispatched to provide medical aid.
Because of the camp’s proximity to the Gorge, Owens Valley Crew 3 arrived on scene before Search and Rescue.
According to Cal Fire Lt. Jeff Frohreich, the 17-man fire crew was able to reach the injured woman, secure her to a litter and carry her across the river and out of the remote area to a waiting Los Angeles Department of Water and Power vehicle, which then transported her out to a waiting Symons Ambulance.
The climber suffered moderate injuries in the fall – a broken pelvis and fractured spine – and, according to those who
witnessed the accident, is lucky to be alive.

(This post was edited by tradtimbo on Nov 19, 2010, 7:53 PM)

acorneau

Nov 19, 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #2 of 5 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradtimbo] Owens Valley California fall, October - any info? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...The woman reportedly suffered a broken pelvis and fractured spine but is lucky to be alive.

...The two men ran to the injured climber’s side, placing her on one of the makeshift stretchers left in the Gorge for just such emergencies.

[shiver]

While I applaud them for running to her aid, I hope everyone knows not to move an injured person who may have any kind of spine injury (except for cases of eminent danger to the injured).

Hope the lady turns out OK.

tradtimbo

Nov 19, 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #3 of 5 (4073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Owens Valley California fall, October - any info? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its amazing, but she'll be fine. A few months in a wheel chair and she'll be ready to hit the cliffs again. My wife's good friend is dating the climbers older sister. Nobody seems to know the style of climbing, what happened exactly etc.

It sounds like a trad fall, but its a sport climbing place, so i really want to know what happened.

silascl

Nov 19, 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #4 of 5 (4072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradtimbo] Owens Valley California fall, October - any info? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the related thread on supertopo:
http://www.supertopo.com/...River-Gorge-Accident

It was a fall from the anchor. It's unclear whether it was miscommunication with her belayer or perhaps a problem in her set up.

edit: made link clicky

(This post was edited by silascl on Nov 19, 2010, 11:04 PM)

tradtimbo

Nov 20, 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #5 of 5 (4041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [silascl] Owens Valley California fall, October - any info? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the link Sil. I'l chime in over there.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook