RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

hyongx

Nov 29, 2010, 2:44 AM
Post #1 of 2 (918 views)
Shortcut

Fractured scaphoid - your experience?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

About a month ago, a serious impact on an outstretched palm left me with a fracture in my left scaphoid (wrist). Just now starting to accept the seriousness of the injury.

For those of you who have had a similar injury:
-How long did it take you to heal?
-Did you do physical therapy after cast/splint came off?
-Have you ever gotten back to full Range of motion in that wrist?
-Did grip strength in that hand return to normal eventually?
-Do you have nagging pain or limitations long after the injury?

Many thanks for your input. I'm trying to be smarter now about this healing, and minimize long-term effect.

Trixie

Nov 30, 2010, 8:33 AM
Post #2 of 2 (872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyongx] Fractured scaphoid - your experience? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hyongx wrote:
About a month ago, a serious impact on an outstretched palm left me with a fracture in my left scaphoid (wrist). Just now starting to accept the seriousness of the injury.

For those of you who have had a similar injury:
-How long did it take you to heal?
-Did you do physical therapy after cast/splint came off?
-Have you ever gotten back to full Range of motion in that wrist?
-Did grip strength in that hand return to normal eventually?
-Do you have nagging pain or limitations long after the injury?

Many thanks for your input. I'm trying to be smarter now about this healing, and minimize long-term effect.

I fractured mine just over a year ago and was in a cast for 12 weeks. When the cast came off I had considerable pain. I did get physiotherapy to help strengthen the muscles which had become a bit weak. I was also given a splint to wear as a bit of additional support when I was riding or climbing. I was shocked at first at how weak my left arm and hand had become during the 12 weeks in plaster, but I suppose that's just to be expected.

When I started climbing again I was guided by pain. If it hurt in the slightest, I didn't do it! Well, that was the intention, but on occasion I did do stuff tha was very painful and I know I shouldn't have. I had my wrist re-xrayed This summer for a completely different injury and the scaphoid has healed well although it's still showing signs of active remodelling.

I've got back full rage of motion and my grip strength has returned, but it felt like a very slow process and was too scared to push myself in case I caused further damage. It still niggles a little, especially if I load it suddenly, but I've been able to get back to what I was doing before.

My problem is now my latest fracture in a different bone! Typical! Frown

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook