Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

esander4

Dec 1, 2010, 5:09 AM
Post #1 of 31 (9674 views)
Shortcut

Gear testing soon, suggestions wanted
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My brother has a mechanical engineering project coming up and he wants to do some tests on climbing equipment for it. I'll be helping him with it, so my question is, is there anything specific that anyone would like to see done? Anything that may have been hard to do due to money or lack of equipment? He has full access to testing equipment (specifically what, I don't know, but I can always ask him if anyone has specific questions about that) and a 400 dollar grant from the university to buy test gear with. The tests will be taking place over the course of the winter, but he needs input quickly to buy the gear to test.

TarheelJD

Dec 1, 2010, 5:25 AM
Post #2 of 31 (9663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [esander4] Gear testing soon, suggestions wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to see what the breaking strength of cordelette tied with a triple fisherman's knot in a quad with a biner around three of the four strands between overhand limiter knots spaced 10-12 inches. Also, overhand knots where the quad would normally be attached to bolts. If you had a steel member you could actually put those two ends 1-2 ft apart to simulate a typical arrangement. Do that with 8mm and 7mm nylon cord, maybe spectra or 1inch webbing too. I have a feeling it might exceed whatever load cells he is using but I am interested to see what the breaking force is and the point of failure.

I've seen a lot of tests of those materials and knot strength tests but can't recall seeing a quad test. On that note, if anyone has seen one, please pass it along.

jt512

Dec 1, 2010, 5:33 AM
Post #3 of 31 (9658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'd like to see a comparison of the breaking strengths of light-weight I-beam carabiners with carabiners made from conventional stock when loaded over an edge. The rated strengths of these biners are similar, but I've always been suspicious of how the newer biners would fare if loaded over an edge.

Jay

patto

Dec 1, 2010, 7:31 AM
Post #4 of 31 (9622 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Gear testing soon, suggestions wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I'd like to see a comparison of the breaking strengths of light-weight I-beam carabiners with carabiners made from conventional stock when loaded over an edge. The rated strengths of these biners are similar, but I've always been suspicious of how the newer biners would fare if loaded over an edge.

Jay

If they are bent across the short axis then they should be stronger than convential stock carabiners. If they are bent across the long axis then they will be weaker.

moose_droppings

Dec 1, 2010, 7:50 AM
Post #5 of 31 (9611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

esander4 wrote:
My brother has a mechanical engineering project coming up and he wants to do some tests on climbing equipment for it. I'll be helping him with it, so my question is, is there anything specific that anyone would like to see done? Anything that may have been hard to do due to money or lack of equipment? He has full access to testing equipment (specifically what, I don't know, but I can always ask him if anyone has specific questions about that) and a 400 dollar grant from the university to buy test gear with. The tests will be taking place over the course of the winter, but he needs input quickly to buy the gear to test.

How about cutting one loop (ear) on a Double Figure Eight (Bunny Ears) and pull test the other loop to failure. Would like to see if the loop will pull thru (as many speculate) or if the loop will break. You could use a couple different widths of dynamic climbing rope around 9mm-11mm.

I'm sure you already know to dress and set any knots you guys decide to test.

esander4

Dec 1, 2010, 8:15 AM
Post #6 of 31 (9603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Gear testing soon, suggestions wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just out of curiosity, what would be the practical application of that? Meaning, at what point would just one loop get cut but not the other? I only use DFE for belay anchor so I can't see it getting cut in that situation, but you may use it for way more than I do. But DFE with one cut loop would be an interesting test. Do you think getting multiple brands of rope along with different sizes would be good, or should we stick with a uniform brand of rope? Don't know if that would make a difference

esander4

Dec 1, 2010, 8:25 AM
Post #7 of 31 (9601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

Jay

Would DMM Big Boa and Petzl Attache be suitable gear for the I-Beam vs Conventional Carabiner test?

jt512

Dec 1, 2010, 9:03 AM
Post #8 of 31 (9590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

esander4 wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

Would DMM Big Boa and Petzl Attache be suitable gear for the I-Beam vs Conventional Carabiner test?

No. The I-beam construction whose over-an-edge breaking strength I'm suspicious of is like that of the Petzl Attache 3D. In principle, comparing it with a conventional Petzl Attache would be ideal, since the two biners have similar rated strengths and designs, except for the aluminum stock used. However, I'd rather see non-locking biners used for the test (I think), since I think that they might be more susceptible to breaking when loaded over an edge than locking biners.

This page has pictures of both the conventional and "3D" versions of the Petzl Attache.

Jay

patto

Dec 1, 2010, 9:55 AM
Post #9 of 31 (9584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An I beam, by its very nature, is much weaker when bent along the plane that is parallel to the long part of the I.

bill413

Dec 1, 2010, 1:53 PM
Post #10 of 31 (9484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Gear testing soon, suggestions wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always been curious about the effect of pairing two locking biners (opposite & opposed) on their strength. I'm curious if it's weaker than two non-lockers, or one locker & one non-locker. The hypothesis is that the locking mechanism applies sideways loading to the gate because of pressure from the other biner.

bill123

Dec 1, 2010, 2:09 PM
Post #11 of 31 (9474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be interested to see testing of different knots in strands of dyneema slings. In other words, if you needed to build an anchor using v-threads and your only option was to cut and retie dyneema slings, what knot would be the strongest? I've heard a lot of speculation about this, but have seen no hard data.

MS1

Dec 1, 2010, 3:58 PM
Post #12 of 31 (9439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill123] Gear testing soon, suggestions wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill123 wrote:
I'd be interested to see testing of different knots in strands of dyneema slings. In other words, if you needed to build an anchor using v-threads and your only option was to cut and retie dyneema slings, what knot would be the strongest? I've heard a lot of speculation about this, but have seen no hard data.

+1.

esander4

Dec 1, 2010, 4:50 PM
Post #13 of 31 (9416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Gear testing soon, suggestions wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
I've always been curious about the effect of pairing two locking biners (opposite & opposed) on their strength. I'm curious if it's weaker than two non-lockers, or one locker & one non-locker. The hypothesis is that the locking mechanism applies sideways loading to the gate because of pressure from the other biner.

It's been to my knowledge that if enough weight were to be put on 2 opposite and opposed lockers then the screwgate part of the carabiner would just slip past the spine of the other carabiner. Meaning take 2 opposite and opposed biners in front of you, and move one to the left about an inch and that's how I think they would end up under enough force. But now you've struck my curiosity. Cheap and easy testing, you got it.

esander4

Dec 1, 2010, 4:55 PM
Post #14 of 31 (9411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill123 wrote:

Do you have specific knots you want to see done other than the general figure eight, overhand, waterknot, etc.?

bill123

Dec 1, 2010, 5:06 PM
Post #15 of 31 (9400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

esander4 wrote:
bill123 wrote:

Do you have specific knots you want to see done other than the general figure eight, overhand, waterknot, etc.?

Since many of the thinner dyneema slings are almost round in cross section, I would add a triple fisherman's. If I were doing the testing, I'd leave out the figure eight since it is generally accepted that a figure eight capsizes under a relatively small load.

moose_droppings

Dec 1, 2010, 5:48 PM
Post #16 of 31 (9385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

esander4 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what would be the practical application of that? Meaning, at what point would just one loop get cut but not the other? I only use DFE for belay anchor so I can't see it getting cut in that situation, but you may use it for way more than I do. But DFE with one cut loop would be an interesting test. Do you think getting multiple brands of rope along with different sizes would be good, or should we stick with a uniform brand of rope? Don't know if that would make a difference

It's a good knot for when you need to adjust the size of the two different loops easily.

I can't really see one side getting cut without the other either, but it's a common argument that people use to to explain why bunny ears are not safe to use.

Using a couple different sizes for testing would calm other fears that the one ear may remain intact depending on the size of the rope used. It would be a more thorough and wider excepted test.

It would be nice to put this myth to bed.
Thanks for considering.

Thanks.

esander4

Dec 1, 2010, 6:12 PM
Post #17 of 31 (9371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
esander4 wrote:

It's a good knot for when you need to adjust the size of the two different loops easily.

I can't really see one side getting cut without the other either, but it's a common argument that people use to to explain why bunny ears are not safe to use.

Using a couple different sizes for testing would calm other fears that the one ear may remain intact depending on the size of the rope used. It would be a more thorough and wider excepted test.

It would be nice to put this myth to bed.
Thanks for considering.

Thanks.

Sounds good

hafilax

Dec 1, 2010, 7:14 PM
Post #18 of 31 (9350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you do dynamic pull tests or drop tests?

boymeetsrock

Dec 1, 2010, 7:33 PM
Post #19 of 31 (9342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill123 wrote:
In reply to:
esander4 wrote:
bill123 wrote:

Since many of the thinner dyneema slings are almost round in cross section, I would add a triple fisherman's. If I were doing the testing, I'd leave out the figure eight since it is generally accepted that a figure eight capsizes under a relatively small load.

How about a flemish bend instead.

(This post was edited by boymeetsrock on Dec 1, 2010, 7:36 PM)

bill123

Dec 1, 2010, 7:51 PM
Post #20 of 31 (9325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Gear testing soon, suggestions wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Flemish Bend instead of figure eight? Good idea!

dynosore

Dec 1, 2010, 8:13 PM
Post #21 of 31 (9311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about building a fixture that is basically 2 parallel plates with interchangeable faces and adjustable angles. Maybe have a c channel to capture the stone block so you can just drop it in. Hopes that makes sense. Vary the angles between the plates from parallel to 30º flaring in several increments. Test pullout strength of some of the fancy new cams and see if they really hold better.

shoo

Dec 1, 2010, 9:02 PM
Post #22 of 31 (9286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Gear testing soon, suggestions wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
How about building a fixture that is basically 2 parallel plates with interchangeable faces and adjustable angles. Maybe have a c channel to capture the stone block so you can just drop it in. Hopes that makes sense. Vary the angles between the plates from parallel to 30º flaring in several increments. Test pullout strength of some of the fancy new cams and see if they really hold better.

+1

esander4

Dec 1, 2010, 9:02 PM
Post #23 of 31 (9286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Gear testing soon, suggestions wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:

That one would be a good idea, the money may be an issue though. We would probably only be able to test a max of 2 cams, maybe only 1, unless we completely disregarded everyone else's ideas. I'll just have to see how everything balances out, once all the ideas are in (PS everyone, I need all of the ideas by next Friday, we're hoping to buy gear shortly after that an test as soon as we have it)

esander4

Dec 1, 2010, 9:05 PM
Post #24 of 31 (9283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be setting up a poll with everyone's ideas on Friday the 10th. You can vote on them and we'll choose from what the most people want

Partner philbox

Dec 5, 2010, 8:06 PM
Post #25 of 31 (9134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
esander4 wrote:

How about cutting one loop (ear) on a Double Figure Eight (Bunny Ears) and pull test the other loop to failure. Would like to see if the loop will pull thru (as many speculate) or if the loop will break. You could use a couple different widths of dynamic climbing rope around 9mm-11mm.

I'm sure you already know to dress and set any knots you guys decide to test.

I recently participated in a testing session where we pulled a bunny ears to destruction. We then took one ear off the test rig and tested again. No difference. The load strand where it enters the knot is always the strand that breaks. The load strand cinches the rest of the knot such that no parts of the knot can move except that the load strand moves around the various strands within the knot causing friction which eventually causes the load strand to fail.

I still have the evidence in my garage. The unfixed ear will NOT pull through the knot. Ever. End of story.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook