RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

reikomd

Dec 2, 2010, 2:21 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1492 views)
Shortcut

Morton's Neuroma and Climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been plagued with a neuroma for almost a year that just gets worse and worse. I've never known anyone else who's had one, but was surprised at how frequently it popped up on this forum. I'm curious to know how common this is for climbers.

Has anyone else here been diagnosed with a neuroma? How tightly did you size your climbing shoes before, and do you wear a different size/style of shoe now?

Also, which of you neuroma victims are both climbers and runners?

dynobelay

Dec 13, 2010, 6:05 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reikomd] Morton's Neuroma and Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, my feet are sensitive too. I still wear the same climbing shoes, but I only size them comfortable, never tight.
But my walking shoes are all now one and a half sizes bigger than I used to wear, with Superfeet inserts. I really like the Keen shoes that have big boxy toes.
The pain, which used to be constant, is now only occasional- a big difference.
Best advice: buy bigger shoes with Superfeet inserts.

billl7

Dec 13, 2010, 7:20 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reikomd] Morton's Neuroma and Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My right foot was diagnosed with it a couple months ago - classic symptoms. I've not had it treated in any manner. However, this was after a serious injury on that side followed by six weeks of no weight bearing followed by six weeks in a boot. I recall it being painful even during the time of the boot.

Since the diagnosis it has improved greatly and am curious to see if this returns to being a non-problem.

Before and after the injury, I've worn wide foot wear which seems to have helped during the recovery. Jamming my foot bottom-side into a flaring crack was absolutely the worse thing to do. Indeed, it was very painful the first few times I even put on a climbing shoe post-injury.

Now, it mainly has a feeling of thickness under there.

My situation may be a cornercase given the possibly related injury and how the apparent neuroma seems to have subsided. But, yes, wide foot wear seemed to help.

Bill L

Edit: I am not a runner. And I climb at a moderate level of difficulty. Although I still wear the same size climbing shoes, I lace the right one noticably looser in the area around the ball of the foot.

(This post was edited by billl7 on Dec 13, 2010, 7:23 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook