Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Dec 3, 2010, 4:42 AM
Post #1 of 56 (18124 views)
Shortcut

Escape belay 101, my way
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

when you need to get off belay to help the messed up leader, this is one way (out of so many other ways) you could escape belay and assist the down leader.

1- make sure you always have few biner and a prusik hanging on your harness
2-set up an anchor near or belay belay
3- lock off belay and take min 5 feet of rope below belay device and put a fig 8
4-put another fig 8 , two feet below the first fig 8
5- take the remaining rope below the last fig 8 and attach the rope to a solid anchor.

6- put a prusik above belay
7- take the 5 feet of slack below the belay and run it at least once between two fig 8(biner) to get 2:1 or twice to get 4:1 mechanical advantage.
8- let some slack from the belay device till load is transferred between the two biner
9-once load is on the two fig 8, take the belay off and do your thing(help, cry,rescue,whatever).

to put yourself back on belay

1- attach belay to your harness and take off all slack
2- tension on MA 2:1 or 4:1 and till prusik is near belay then lock off belay.
3-undo the tension on 2:1/4:1 MA till load is back on belay
4-once load is back on belay, take fig 8 out /undo anchor and then lower

wabitt nomax is on
please start the flame

moose_droppings

Dec 3, 2010, 6:43 AM
Post #2 of 56 (18057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Escape belay 101, my way [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
when you need to get off belay to help the messed up leader, this is one way (out of so many other ways) you could escape belay and assist the down leader.

3- lock off belay and take min 5 feet of rope below belay device and put a fig 8
5- take the remaining rope below the last fig 8 and attach the rope to a solid anchor.

7- take the 5 feet of slack below the belay and run it at least once between two fig 8(biner) to get 2:1 or twice to get 4:1 mechanical advantage.
8- let some slack from the belay device till load is transferred between the two biner
9-once load is on the two fig 8, take the belay off and do your thing(help, cry,rescue,whatever).

wabitt nomax is on
please start the flame

Since you asked for it........

aquadood

Dec 3, 2010, 7:01 AM
Post #3 of 56 (18047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

First thing that comes to mind is how do you tie a F8-on-a-bight with one hand. Shouldn't you first get hands-free with the classic mule-overhand method?

airscape

Dec 3, 2010, 8:02 AM
Post #4 of 56 (18025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aquadood] Escape belay 101, my way [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

aquadood wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

First thing that comes to mind is how do you tie a F8-on-a-bight with one hand. Shouldn't you first get hands-free with the classic mule-overhand method?

Majid can tie a monkey fist with one hand.

blueeyedclimber

Dec 3, 2010, 2:13 PM
Post #5 of 56 (17960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aquadood wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Yes he should. Against my better judgment, I will give him the benefit of the doubt that it was just an oversight to not mention it. I actually do like the additions of the 4:1, which will take force off of the prussik.

I hate to state the obvious, but this is not necessary if the climber can be lowered back to the belay.

In case of an emergency, though, it's always a good idea to go hands-free, just to think. Taking a few minutes to decide on your best course of action will save time in the long run.

Josh

kachoong

Dec 3, 2010, 2:39 PM
Post #6 of 56 (17943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

wabitt nomax is on
please start the flame

Interesting setup and a nice trick for the bag, majid. Is the MA in the picture really a 4:1 though?

In reply to:

Hah! Cracks me up! Can just imagine... do all that and then sit there at the belay and cry... awesome!

mikebarter387

Dec 3, 2010, 2:45 PM
Post #7 of 56 (17939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can do this then you can do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VXfrIAgpG0

[rescue exercise 101

sherpa79

Dec 3, 2010, 3:53 PM
Post #8 of 56 (17890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting idea, but overcomplicated.
I can see the benefit of installing an advantage and using that to remove the belay if you forsee the need to raise, but this advantage doesn't function quite the way it should, i.e. it isn't a true ratchet. You'd have to do some more to it to get there. That and its range is extremely limited. Also, if you are treating biners like pulleys why not slap another 2:1 in the mix for the piece that held the leader's fall?
After a certain point, carabiners tend to make the advantage very "theoretical" and can even drag it back the other way.

Mike's method (and the one I've seen most often) I think is better. I can see using the tail of the line only if you don't have a loop long enough to make a prussik with a munter/mule, or you need that longer loop to ascend the rope after escaping the belay.
Also, it's much easier with this method to achieve az drag with a longer working range as well as a 4:1 by adding a simple counterweight 2:1 from the anchor to the rope below the prussik.

However, I think there's a good idea in there somewhere, for something.

majid_sabet

Dec 3, 2010, 6:00 PM
Post #9 of 56 (17851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sherpa79] Escape belay 101, my way [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sherpa79 wrote:
I can see the benefit of installing an advantage and using that to remove the belay if you forsee the need to raise, but this advantage doesn't function quite the way it should, i.e. it isn't a true ratchet. You'd have to do some more to it to get there. That and its range is extremely limited. Also, if you are treating biners like pulleys why not slap another 2:1 in the mix for the piece that held the leader's fall?
After a certain point, carabiners tend to make the advantage very "theoretical" and can even drag it back the other way.

Mike's method (and the one I've seen most often) I think is better. I can see using the tail of the line only if you don't have a loop long enough to make a prussik with a munter/mule, or you need that longer loop to ascend the rope after escaping the belay.
Also, it's much easier with this method to achieve az drag with a longer working range as well as a 4:1 by adding a simple counterweight 2:1 from the anchor to the rope below the prussik.

I used my shoe laces as prusik and the same climbing rope so things look ugly. if you have separate cord and prusik then it would be much cleaner.

majid_sabet

Dec 3, 2010, 6:01 PM
Post #10 of 56 (17850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Escape belay 101, my way [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
aquadood wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Yes he should. Against my better judgment, I will give him the benefit of the doubt that it was just an oversight to not mention it. I actually do like the additions of the 4:1, which will take force off of the prussik.

I hate to state the obvious, but this is not necessary if the climber can be lowered back to the belay.

In case of an emergency, though, it's always a good idea to go hands-free, just to think. Taking a few minutes to decide on your best course of action will save time in the long run.

Josh

if leader is decked on the ledge 100 feet up you can't lower him

majid_sabet

Dec 3, 2010, 6:02 PM
Post #11 of 56 (17849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aquadood wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

first you have to lock off belay and once you do that, you got two free hands to rig it.

blueeyedclimber

Dec 3, 2010, 7:52 PM
Post #12 of 56 (17802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
aquadood wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Josh

Really?! I had no idea! That's why I said IF the climber CAN be lowered, because a lot of people are so gung-ho about self-rescue, that they will undoubtedly do something unnecessarily.

Btw, if a climber is decked on a ledge, you wouldn't need to do any of that because they are not weighting the rope.

Josh

rocknice2

Dec 3, 2010, 8:24 PM
Post #13 of 56 (17790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Majid is trying to haul the leader back to the belay, through all the pro.

Partner rgold

Dec 3, 2010, 8:47 PM
Post #14 of 56 (17779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid, I can't think of a single problem involved in self-rescue that this set-up solves. Everything I can think of is accomplished more easily with one of the standard procedures.

I can't see any use for the improvised pulley, at least none that can't be done more easily with one of the standard system.

The theoretical mechanical advantage of the depicted improvised pulley is 2:1. But after carabiner friction, it will offer essentially no mechanical advantage. Because of the combination of friction and theoretical mechanical advantage, such things are very good for letting out slack, but they are essentially pointless for trying to tension a system. And putting another wrap in to get a theoretical 4:1 will give you a stuck mess with so much friction you won't be able to pull anything up at all with it.

I'm saying if there is a real use for that pulley that involves pulling in slack, it isn't going to work in the real world. This seems to leave us with a system that isn't needed and that won't work anyway so I'd say back to the drawing boards.

But before we get Version 1.1, could you please say explicitly what problems the standard methods have that are eliminated or at least ameliorated in your new system?

areyoumydude

Dec 3, 2010, 8:52 PM
Post #15 of 56 (17766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Really?! I had no idea! That's why I said IF the climber CAN be lowered, because a lot of people are so gung-ho about self-rescue, that they will undoubtedly do something unnecessarily.Josh

Really?! You think someone is going to try and escape a belay when they could lower the victim back to the belay? Hmmmm.

(This post was edited by areyoumydude on Dec 3, 2010, 8:54 PM)

shimanilami

Dec 3, 2010, 9:17 PM
Post #16 of 56 (17746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just let go of my Gri-Gri, slap an Ushba on the line, tether the Ushba to my anchor, and then unload the Gri-Gri until the weight is on the Ushba.

And then I smoke two joints.

majid_sabet

Dec 3, 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #17 of 56 (17718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
aquadood wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Josh

Really?! I had no idea! That's why I said IF the climber CAN be lowered, because a lot of people are so gung-ho about self-rescue, that they will undoubtedly do something unnecessarily.

Btw, if a climber is decked on a ledge, you wouldn't need to do any of that because they are not weighting the rope.

Josh

not really

the leader must be secure so you still need to lock off belay and start plan B by either climbing the rope or whatever so the treatment is the same

Also, what if leader was resting on fifi and got hit by rock. how are you going to lower him ?

i got you

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Dec 3, 2010, 10:07 PM)

majid_sabet

Dec 3, 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #18 of 56 (17713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Escape belay 101, my way [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
Majid, I can't think of a single problem involved in self-rescue that this set-up solves. Everything I can think of is accomplished more easily with one of the standard procedures.

I can't see any use for the improvised pulley, at least none that can't be done more easily with one of the standard system.

The theoretical mechanical advantage of the depicted improvised pulley is 2:1. But after carabiner friction, it will offer essentially no mechanical advantage. Because of the combination of friction and theoretical mechanical advantage, such things are very good for letting out slack, but they are essentially pointless for trying to tension a system. And putting another wrap in to get a theoretical 4:1 will give you a stuck mess with so much friction you won't be able to pull anything up at all with it.

I'm saying if there is a real use for that pulley that involves pulling in slack, it isn't going to work in the real world. This seems to leave us with a system that isn't needed and that won't work anyway so I'd say back to the drawing boards.

But before we get Version 1.1, could you please say explicitly what problems the standard methods have that are eliminated or at least ameliorated in your new system?

Doctor gold

I will be happy to take notes from your SR V 1.1

bill413

Dec 3, 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #19 of 56 (17656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
aquadood wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Josh

Josh

not really

the leader must be secure so you still need to lock off belay and start plan B by either climbing the rope or whatever so the treatment is the same

Also, what if leader was resting on fifi and got hit by rock. how are you going to lower him ?

i got you

Majid, you're as bad as kenr.

bill413

Dec 3, 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #20 of 56 (17654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:

Way too often overlooked. A critical point to remember.

Partner j_ung

Dec 4, 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #21 of 56 (17621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebarter387] Escape belay 101, my way [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mikebarter387 wrote:
If you can do this then you can do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VXfrIAgpG0

That's pretty much the standard load transfer. The only substantial difference between that and what I do is that I back the whole thing up with a hard knot.

sherpa79

Dec 4, 2010, 1:03 AM
Post #22 of 56 (17603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Escape belay 101, my way [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:

Well if he won't I will. Clearly existing systems:
1)Don't have enough figure eight knots.
2)Work in more than one application.
3)Keep clustermuckage to a minimum.
4)Involve Common Sense.

Gosh. I feel safer already.

jeepnphreak

Dec 4, 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #23 of 56 (17419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
sherpa79 wrote:

I used my shoe laces as prusik and the same climbing rope so things look ugly. if you have separate cord and prusik then it would be much cleaner.

My shoe laces are 5 mm ne tech cord

rangerrob

Dec 4, 2010, 6:26 PM
Post #24 of 56 (17392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Escape belay 101, my way [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone here actually practiced this scenario in the last 6 months? My partner and I set up just this scenario last week and worked through it. Escaping the belay is the simplest part of the whole process. What gave us the most work was putting the leader on a seperate anchor built above the last piece, and rapping down the fixed line to free the bottom of the rope.

When you escape the belay, do not tie the rope off to an anchor that is anywhere away from the cliff. The first go around we tied it to a tree about 8 feet away. The resulting angle caused problems both prussiking, and then tying off the rope on the anchor above after the weight was taken off of it. This is a no brainer if you are off the ground and belaying from an anchor on the wall. If the belayer is still on the ground....get that bottom anchor as close to the wall as you can get it.

If you're a beginner and you are thinking to yourself...hmm....I don't REALLY know how to prussik a rope or get out of a loaded belay.....then I highly receommend you go out an spend a few hours monkeying around with it. It is time well spent.

RR

Partner rgold

Dec 4, 2010, 7:09 PM
Post #25 of 56 (17373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Escape belay 101, my way [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rob is absolutely right; escaping the belay by itself is just the first step of a much longer process and is of almost no value by itself. The fact that it has a name and is spoken of and taught as some kind of useful action in itself is pretty misleading. It will be what you do after you escape the belay that is meaningful.

Although typically not mentioned when rope choices are discussed, some of the problems Rob alludes to may be eased if the party is using double ropes, since there will be a rope to available that isn't under tension.

If the party is on a single rope, it is easier, if possible, to get the leader on an anchor built below the top piece rather than above it.

Rob, did you by any chance time how long it was from the moment you started the exercise to the time when the leader was no longer hanging?

(This post was edited by rgold on Dec 4, 2010, 7:16 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook