RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

deamicl

Nov 30, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3629 views)
Shortcut

Ice Climbing in the Midwest (ohio) area
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all,

Can anyone point me to websites or other sources with ice climbing destinations in the midwest closest to or around Ohio? I just my first taste of ice climbing in Canmore and Jasper CA and am hooked. Where can I get my fill?

thanks!

deamicl

Nov 30, 2010, 6:32 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deamicl] Ice Climbing in the Midwest (ohio) area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All i've found, as of now, is Pictured Rock National Park. Looks beautiful but still quite a ways away.

Fenst

Dec 1, 2010, 1:45 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Big Pine falls in Hocking Hills rockclimbing and rapelling area has a 100 foot waterfall that freezes later in the winter in wet/cold years. There are a couple of bolted ice climbs that appear to be mixed that run up some water grooves in the rock. In good conditions, there are about 4 good areas to climb ice in the rockclimbing and rapelling area. In mohican state forrest there is a water fall called lyons falls that looks awesome to climb but this is in a popular area for hikers where rangers would problaby freak out if you were climbing the falls. I often think about buying some ice gear to climb at these areas but I can't get any of my friends to leave their houses in the winter.

deamicl

Dec 1, 2010, 3:33 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fenst] Ice Climbing in the Midwest (ohio) area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great stuff! Thanks for the info. I did some more research and it looks like North Carolina has a bunch of waterfalls that freeze over once it gets cold enough.

Well, if you're interested in doing some ice climbing at some point don't hesitate to give me a holler. Or, i'll let you know when I decide to go find one of these routes.

Cheers!

deamicl

Dec 1, 2010, 4:56 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just looked up hocking hills state park and any climbing is illegal and subject to fines. The only area available to climb in Hocking hills is either on private land with consent of land owner or in the Hocking State Forest owned by the Ohio Division of Forestry. I looked up a map of the climbing area and it seems to only have one fall (100 feet) but doesn't have much water unless it rains heavily and then freezes. There is another fall to the right but is on private land. This one seems like a much more likely spot for ice climbing. The water falls on the rock face unlike the other fall which is over hung.

Here's a link to the map. (pdf download)
http://ohiodnr.com/...FY%3d&tabid=5156

gowser

Dec 6, 2010, 4:03 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3508 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My buddy has an artificial way in Fenton, Michigan. A short trip for some sure ice early in the season. They fired it up last week and we climbed on it this weekend. Shoot me a pm if you are interested.

EvilMonkey

Dec 14, 2010, 1:51 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there's video on the net of somebody climbing the ice that seeps out of the cut-in-the-pass on I-75 south of cinci. it's nothing like the canadian rockies, but it is illegal.

bmapple

Oct 27, 2011, 2:08 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deamicl wrote:
I looked up a map of the climbing area and it seems to only have one fall (100 feet) but doesn't have much water unless it rains heavily and then freezes.
In reply to:

Hocking climbing area has plenty of good ice to climb. That porous soft sandstone that makes for mediocre climbing in the summer does a great job of seeping water all winter long. The best ice there isn't the falls, its the seeps that just look like wet mossy spots the rest of the year.

And just a hint: If you're willing to really explore, SE Ohio has plenty of ice to climb. The Wayne National Forest and Strouds Run SP both have climbable ice if you know where to look.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook