Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

bearbreeder

Dec 3, 2010, 7:25 PM
Post #1 of 94 (27731 views)
Shortcut

rockies SAR vid
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7_4n_4Qhu4&feature=player_embedded#!

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Dec 3, 2010, 7:26 PM)

majid_sabet

Dec 3, 2010, 7:50 PM
Post #2 of 94 (27713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] rockies SAR vid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7_4n_4Qhu4&feature=player_embedded#!

I like to see their short haul and medical assessment SOP manual.

No medical gloves, one sling connection to wall, etc

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Dec 9, 2010, 4:44 AM)

kovacs69

Dec 3, 2010, 8:34 PM
Post #3 of 94 (27674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Clicky!

sherpa79

Dec 3, 2010, 8:50 PM
Post #4 of 94 (27657 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nice job on the pilot's part. I use the same radios at work as well and think they work great. Much better than handhelds....

dagibbs

Dec 3, 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #5 of 94 (27619 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice video, thanks for pointing it out.

macblaze

Dec 4, 2010, 3:12 PM
Post #6 of 94 (27514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great stuff...

spikeddem

Dec 4, 2010, 7:24 PM
Post #7 of 94 (27470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] rockies SAR vid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
+1

cruxstacean

Dec 4, 2010, 8:37 PM
Post #8 of 94 (27446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] rockies SAR vid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
+1

+2

bearbreeder

Dec 6, 2010, 6:19 AM
Post #9 of 94 (27294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

full story ... note the single point of attachment leash with a knotted dyneema sling for both rangers ... id assume that they know what they are doing

im sure some people on this board will have a fit with that ;)

and this is why you wear a helmet ...

http://www.adventure-journal.com/...adventure+journal%29

Jonathan Lytton was just climbing along last August on Dan’s Delight in Banff National Park, Alberta, and then he wasn’t: A rock fell from above, smashing his helmet and sending him from the sharp end of the rope into a leader fall. His first piece of protection pulled out and by the time he was caught by his partner and belayer, he’d plummeted 66 feet. The fall broke his ankle and some ribs, dislocated his shoulder, and left him unconscious for five minutes with head injuries.

Though severely injured, a number of things went in Lytton’s favor: His partner was able to lower him to a ledge, he had a cell phone signal, and it was a flawless summer day for a rescue helicopter to pluck him from the cliff. The search and rescue crews of Parks Canada respond to 300-some incidents each year in the Canadian Rockies parks (Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay, Waterton, Glacier), and recently they’ve begun wearing GoPro helmetcams on their missions. In this case, the rescue was conducted and captured by Steve Holeczi and his partner Aaron Beardmore, who are so calm and professional it sounds like a day at the beach.

“The message in this video is that it can happen to anyone,” Holeczi told CTV News. “It was a nice day, these guys were on a climb that was well within their abilities and they had an accident, but they had a cell phone, our emergency dispatch number, they knew how to signal us on the cliff. Had they not done that — not been able to initiate a rescue right away — then the outcome might have been quite different.”

Or, as the official analysis of the accident put it, “Given that the party was sufficiently experienced for the undertaking it can only be said that sometimes, ‘things happen’. Loose rock is a fact of life in the Mountain National Parks, and sometimes it can come loose and knock climbers off their stance.”

This Parks Canada image shows Lytton’s high point and stopping level.

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Dec 6, 2010, 6:34 AM)

ClimbSoHigh

Dec 6, 2010, 8:44 PM
Post #10 of 94 (27203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At the beginning en route to the rescue, all I could think of was WEEEEEEEEEEE! That looks like so much fun!

Watching this also proves how lame my job is, and how little I do for people in a days work.

Anyways, props to SAR, you guys kick ass and save lives, this clearly being an example! I wish I had the know how and courage to do this kind of work.

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 6, 2010, 8:52 PM
Post #11 of 94 (27196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbSoHigh] rockies SAR vid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep... That helmet saved his life.

binrat

Dec 9, 2010, 1:42 AM
Post #12 of 94 (27036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
full story ... note the single point of attachment leash with a knotted dyneema sling for both rangers ... id assume that they know what they are doing

The last I heard, they use full Mtn guides for rescue.

airforceclmr

Dec 9, 2010, 2:37 AM
Post #13 of 94 (27021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [binrat] rockies SAR vid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

binrat wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

The last I heard, they use full Mtn guides for rescue.

^
These guys are Parks Canada employee's. I've worked with a bunch who are ACMG guides and drag clients around on their time off. You don't need to be a full guide to make the grade but it helps as the competition for the job is rather tough.
Cheers, Andrew

majid_sabet

Dec 9, 2010, 4:47 AM
Post #14 of 94 (26993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:

[image]
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2164/picture140.png[/image]

[image]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8422/picture15rv.png[/image]

and this is why you wear a helmet ...

[image]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5038/picture160.png[/image]

http://www.adventure-journal.com/...adventure+journal%29

Jonathan Lytton was just climbing along last August on Dan’s Delight in Banff National Park, Alberta, and then he wasn’t: A rock fell from above, smashing his helmet and sending him from the sharp end of the rope into a leader fall. His first piece of protection pulled out and by the time he was caught by his partner and belayer, he’d plummeted 66 feet. The fall broke his ankle and some ribs, dislocated his shoulder, and left him unconscious for five minutes with head injuries.

Though severely injured, a number of things went in Lytton’s favor: His partner was able to lower him to a ledge, he had a cell phone signal, and it was a flawless summer day for a rescue helicopter to pluck him from the cliff. The search and rescue crews of Parks Canada respond to 300-some incidents each year in the Canadian Rockies parks (Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay, Waterton, Glacier), and recently they’ve begun wearing GoPro helmetcams on their missions. In this case, the rescue was conducted and captured by Steve Holeczi and his partner Aaron Beardmore, who are so calm and professional it sounds like a day at the beach.

“The message in this video is that it can happen to anyone,” Holeczi told CTV News. “It was a nice day, these guys were on a climb that was well within their abilities and they had an accident, but they had a cell phone, our emergency dispatch number, they knew how to signal us on the cliff. Had they not done that — not been able to initiate a rescue right away — then the outcome might have been quite different.”

Or, as the official analysis of the accident put it, “Given that the party was sufficiently experienced for the undertaking it can only be said that sometimes, ‘things happen’. Loose rock is a fact of life in the Mountain National Parks, and sometimes it can come loose and knock climbers off their stance.”

This Parks Canada image shows Lytton’s high point and stopping level.

[image]http://www.adventure-journal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/leaderfall.jpg[/image]

This is another Hollywood vids for you guys. for some this is business and I personally did not like what I saw.

bearbreeder

Dec 9, 2010, 5:22 AM
Post #15 of 94 (26980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] rockies SAR vid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ill bet they do more rescues in canada than anyone else except for squamish SAR ... they seem pretty well versed at it

but hey .... its only their and their subjects lives ... not everything needs to be done the majid way ... or wait does it now?

dan2see

Dec 9, 2010, 5:22 AM
Post #16 of 94 (26979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
This is another Hollywood vids for you guys. for some this is business and I personally did not like what I saw.

Watch your manners. Majid!

These boys are our SAR and do a great job on our turf.

On the other hand, if you want to help improve our gear, methods, and infrastructure, then come on up to the Canadian Rockies and show us how. You could run your own school, or maybe even start a new SAR company.

But if you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is, then keep it shut.

majid_sabet

Dec 9, 2010, 6:30 AM
Post #17 of 94 (26957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] rockies SAR vid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Watch your manners. Majid!

These boys are our SAR and do a great job on our turf.

On the other hand, if you want to help improve our gear, methods, and infrastructure, then come on up to the Canadian Rockies and show us how. You could run your own school, or maybe even start a new SAR company.

But if you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is, then keep it shut.

sorry Dan but if you had any medical training then you know when a guy is hit in the head, you stabilize the head and neck first then you go after the leg. with blood present then they should put their gloves on and try not clip yourself with one link.

again, I like to see their standard operating procedures manual. May be things are done differently in Alberta .

bearbreeder

Dec 9, 2010, 6:47 AM
Post #18 of 94 (26952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so mista majid ... are you saying that the folks at parks canada rescue don't know what they are doing?

hmmmmm ....

majid_sabet

Dec 9, 2010, 7:09 AM
Post #19 of 94 (26944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
so mista majid ... are you saying that the folks at parks canada rescue don't know what they are doing?

hmmmmm ....

No, I am not saying they that. I am saying that sometimes in action, people forget the rules. these sort of rules can bite them later.

bearbreeder

Dec 9, 2010, 7:12 AM
Post #20 of 94 (26941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so are you saying that they forgot the rules in this case?

let me ask you this ... do you believe that the actions of parks canada rescue in this video put lives at risks unnecessarily? ... and if so, is it not your moral obligation as a SAR person to contact parks canada about these gaps?

either you believe it safe or you do not ...

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Dec 9, 2010, 7:12 AM)

the_climber

Dec 9, 2010, 9:22 AM
Post #21 of 94 (26922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid, you're off line on this one.

They handle it correctly for the situation. Single point attachments are just fine in those situations. There was more than enough assessment to determine how to administer medical attention prior to the evacuation.

You should climb in the Canadian Rockies, it's different up here.

Not advocating agreeing with Cohen, but the boys up here are among the finest for rescue... YOSAR has El Cap and Half Dome Dialed, We have mountains Dialed up here.

majid_sabet

Dec 9, 2010, 6:13 PM
Post #22 of 94 (26860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
so are you saying that they forgot the rules in this case?

let me ask you this ... do you believe that the actions of parks canada rescue in this video put lives at risks unnecessarily? ... and if so, is it not your moral obligation as a SAR person to contact parks canada about these gaps?

either you believe it safe or you do not ...

Without knowing what the standard procedures in this sort of situation are in Alberta, I can't say what is accepted or not. Having basic personal protection gear (ie, gloves) is pretty universal when blood is present. if you closely watch the vids, you see that guys on the ground have their gloves on cause they are medic and follow their rules.

I guess at the end, one climber is saved and we can move on.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Dec 9, 2010, 6:18 PM)

bearbreeder

Dec 9, 2010, 7:08 PM
Post #23 of 94 (26838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Without knowing what the standard procedures in this sort of situation are in Alberta, I can't say what is accepted or not. Having basic personal protection gear (ie, gloves) is pretty universal when blood is present. if you closely watch the vids, you see that guys on the ground have their gloves on cause they are medic and follow their rules.

I guess at the end, one climber is saved and we can move on.

the next time you tell someone they are going to die because they didnt do things the majid way ...

ill just say "well dude he climbs in alberta"

lol

Partner drector

Dec 9, 2010, 7:54 PM
Post #24 of 94 (26822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Question from an SAR n00b; when the guy hanging from the chopper clips to the anchor, is the chopper then anchored to the cliff? Is that avoided when possible or not a bug deal? I recall hearing about the ropes thrown from the choppers in Y.V. having a note saying not attach help helicopter rope to the anchor.

majid_sabet

Dec 9, 2010, 7:59 PM
Post #25 of 94 (26818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drector] rockies SAR vid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drector wrote:
Question from an SAR n00b; when the guy hanging from the chopper clips to the anchor, is the chopper then anchored to the cliff? Is that avoided when possible or not a bug deal? I recall hearing about the ropes thrown from the choppers in Y.V. having a note saying not attach help helicopter rope to the anchor.

yes and no. once the SAR guy clips to wall, he should disconnect himself off the chopper either manually or the pilot or the winch guy disconnects the cable from top or if it is electric disconnect, the pilot may DC from the bottom.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook