Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Visiting Climber to Mt. Lemmon
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sgodwin

Dec 13, 2010, 5:14 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2579 views)
Shortcut

Visiting Climber to Mt. Lemmon  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Southern: Mt__Lemmon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My father recently moved to Tucson and I am visiting him for the first time from December 28 - January 4.

Being from Canada (British Columbia and Montreal), I knew nothing about the Arizona climbing possibilities and am not used to the concept of climbing in the winter. I was astounded when I became aware of Mt. Lemmon and the amazing climbing it seems to offer year-round.

I've bought Squeezing the Lemmon II, so I have a lot of basic information, but I am hoping that I can get some specific advice pertaining to both my climbing ability and the conditions at the time.

I climb 5.10+ sport and will be climbing with a 5.9 climber. I've been training all winter (yeah it's winter here... we have snow) and I'm hoping I'll send my first 5.11 this trip.

So, the things I'm hoping to learn:
1) Recommendations on specific sport climbs (or areas) given my climbing ability (and my partner's climbing ability).

2) Advice on the weather conditions and climbability of Mt. Lemmon in late December /early January.

3) If anyone here has ever climbed in the Northeast (Quebec, New Hampshire, etc.), how would you compare the relative difficulty of route grades? Or even without Northeast climbing experience, what is the general reputation of the Mt. Lemmon grades? I've found nothing on this unfortunately, and don't know what to expect at all.

Thanks in advance. It sounds like the climbing community in Arizona is fantastic, and I can't wait to be a part of it.

(This post was edited by sgodwin on Dec 13, 2010, 8:55 AM)

chenzen

Dec 13, 2010, 1:49 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgodwin] Visiting Climber to Mt. Lemmon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Late Dec. /Jan. is a good time to climb, especially lower on the mountain. If it is sunny and calm you can go as high as Windy Point or even further if you are in the sun. A few ideas for you: Ridgeline (sport 5.7 to 5.10), Munchkinland (only if it is sunny and no wind, you should try Ruby Slippers). Windy Point (I recommend Nang, just don't blow the walk off). A bit lower: Forgotten Wall, Ruins (Duh Bulge for you, One Green Spot for your partner). La Milagrosa (stealin, foreplay, cholla) and the Sunspot crags. Some crags that will be too shaded and likely cold are Troll Wall, Middle Earth and the Boneyard. This winter has been unusually warm and dry. You should have good climbing weather. I have been to New Hampshire and felt the grades were fairly consistent, if anything Lemmon is a little bit stiff, especially in the older routes. Better route info for some of these areas can be found at mountainproject.com
Have Fun! Don't forget extra water and sunscreen.
-e

chenzen

Dec 13, 2010, 2:17 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

p.s. Cochise Stronghold

ckirkwood9

Dec 13, 2010, 2:25 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out "castles in the sand"

http://www.chesslerbooks.com/item/944-castles-in-the-sand-a-climbers-guide-to-sedona-and-oak-creek-canyon-arizona.asp

go climb some of the desert spires in sedona - freaking amazing....

Mt Lemmon is super too... lots of stuff to do there.

rocknice2

Dec 14, 2010, 5:11 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have a trad rack bring that with you.
Mt Lemmon is very climbable that time of year. Just give the sun time to warm the rock.
Check out Cochise Stronghold too.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook