RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

nothinglikesun

Sep 23, 2010, 5:19 AM
Post #1 of 12 (9189 views)
Shortcut

Cliffhanger
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know that story behind the Cliffhanger movie? I know the credits list Stallone, Michael France, and John Long, but their is also this pesky fact:

"Three writers claimed that Cliffhanger was their idea. To avoid jeopardizing the film's release, they were paid $250,000 each to drop the case. "

And I know it resembles a novel by Jeff (not John) Long, which resembles a story by Lynn Hill, which is based on an actual incident in Yosemite.

Anyway, does any know or can anyone direct me to the complete story of this? Huge thanks.

Express

Sep 23, 2010, 3:06 PM
Post #2 of 12 (9110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nothinglikesun] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, so the bolt gun is real, eh?

bill413

Sep 23, 2010, 3:28 PM
Post #3 of 12 (9096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Express] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Express wrote:
Oh, so the bolt gun is real, eh?

Yes. Unfortunately, it is kept in Area 51.

skiclimb

Sep 26, 2010, 6:16 AM
Post #4 of 12 (9026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it is VERY loosely based on a plane wreck of marijuana in tuolumne.

bennydh

Sep 26, 2010, 7:32 AM
Post #5 of 12 (9006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"lockheed lodestar weed"

google it, and/or use the search function of the various climbing forums.

BhamClimber5

Dec 14, 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #6 of 12 (8641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought they had bolt guns?

Express

Dec 15, 2010, 8:51 AM
Post #7 of 12 (8597 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BhamClimber5] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

BhamClimber5 wrote:

Well for a while they did, but they were always on backorder from Petzl and you could never find them in stock anywhere, so most people just gave up on them. I think there was some part that they were having trouble with and then I didn't hear about them too much after that. That was like 10 years ago.

It's pretty rare to see someone using one these days. I remember when the first ones came out, they used to fracture the shit out the rock. It's rumored that that's why the Texas plate first started coming loose from El Cap.

If you find one of the later ones, chances are that the sleeve bearings in the barrel are shot, which basically ruins it for good. That's what winds up happening to 95% of them sooner or later.

bill413

Dec 15, 2010, 1:51 PM
Post #8 of 12 (8562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Express] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Express wrote:
BhamClimber5 wrote:

Well for a while they did, but they were always on backorder from Petzl and you could never find them in stock anywhere, so most people just gave up on them. I think there was some part that they were having trouble with and then I didn't hear about them too much after that. That was like 10 years ago.

It's pretty rare to see someone using one these days. I remember when the first ones came out, they used to fracture the shit out the rock. It's rumored that that's why the Texas plate first started coming loose from El Cap.

If you find one of the later ones, chances are that the sleeve bearings in the barrel are shot, which basically ruins it for good. That's what winds up happening to 95% of them sooner or later.

So it's possible that one could turn up on EBay occasionally, but you really want to know the condition.

dolphja

Dec 15, 2010, 2:41 PM
Post #9 of 12 (8541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
Express wrote:
BhamClimber5 wrote:

So it's possible that one could turn up on EBay occasionally, but you really want to know the condition.

Pirate

bill413

Dec 15, 2010, 2:52 PM
Post #10 of 12 (8529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dolphja] Cliffhanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dolphja wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Express wrote:
BhamClimber5 wrote:

Pirate

That's not the bolt gun. Typical bait & switch - dolphja, you should be ashamed.

(This post was edited by bill413 on Dec 15, 2010, 2:52 PM)

kachoong

Dec 15, 2010, 2:58 PM
Post #11 of 12 (8523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

nothinglikesun wrote:
"Three writers claimed that Cliffhanger was their idea. To avoid jeopardizing the film's release, they were paid $250,000 each to drop the case. "

It was actually three cases and $100,000,000

dolphja

Dec 15, 2010, 3:09 PM
Post #12 of 12 (8515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
dolphja wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Express wrote:
BhamClimber5 wrote:

[image]http://www.filmcritic.com/features/images/badcomm.jpg[/image]
Pirate

That's not the bolt gun. Typical bait & switch - dolphja, you should be ashamed.

DAMN! IT! now i gotta watch this movie again? Mad maybe the prop-master will que in on this thread and give us a little insight on how we can attain one of these fine items

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook