Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

enigma

Dec 15, 2010, 9:12 AM
Post #1 of 57 (14183 views)
Shortcut

Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I take Glutamine not all the time but it helps with recovery,protein drinks occasionally when I can, and vitamins when I remember. How about you? What works?

(This post was edited by enigma on Dec 15, 2010, 9:15 AM)

spikeddem

Dec 15, 2010, 5:21 PM
Post #2 of 57 (14115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

nothing. seems to work great though.

jamatt

Dec 15, 2010, 5:52 PM
Post #3 of 57 (14093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

read michael pollan's "in defense of food" and drink lots of chocolate milk. the former will support you in good food choices, and the latter will help your body recover from a good workout.

johnwesely

Dec 15, 2010, 6:15 PM
Post #4 of 57 (14072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been taking these pills my friend gave me. I think they are called anadrol or something like that. I have only been taking them for about three weeks, but I just sent my first .13a yesterday.

kiwiprincess

Dec 15, 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #5 of 57 (14040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Carbs the night before a big day.
Regular snacks including protein for muscle recovery
KEEP WELL HYDRATED. If on a huge day or mountaineering I add electolytes to my water.

If you eat well you shouldn't need to supliment.
Lots of nuts, fish, Omega 3's is good for everything!

(This post was edited by kiwiprincess on Dec 15, 2010, 11:05 PM)

jamatt

Dec 16, 2010, 1:08 AM
Post #8 of 57 (13986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [juniorbirdgirl] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it makes sense that they're available at whole (paycheck) foods.

pyrosis

Dec 16, 2010, 1:53 AM
Post #9 of 57 (13963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Guiness.

Gives you strength.

krusher4

Dec 16, 2010, 2:40 PM
Post #10 of 57 (13901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a recovery drink post workout and for workouts longer then 3 hours I will generally down a few servings of Hammer Gel.
Recovery Drink is: 1 serving of Hammer Whey, 1 serving of Hammer Gel (I like Choc.) mixed into soy milk (because I think it tastes better then cow milk).

I train a lot 3-6 days a week and I use a periodization theory for my workouts I feel like it works....either the drink or the workouts keeps me strong ha-ha

Just understand there is no easy way to get strong, give up drinking booze, eating out, friends that are not climbers..ect..ect...

altelis

Dec 16, 2010, 4:57 PM
Post #11 of 57 (13880 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krusher4] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

krusher4 wrote:
I use a recovery drink post workout and for workouts longer then 3 hours I will generally down a few servings of Hammer Gel.
Recovery Drink is: 1 serving of Hammer Whey, 1 serving of Hammer Gel (I like Choc.) mixed into soy milk (because I think it tastes better then cow milk).

I train a lot 3-6 days a week and I use a periodization theory for my workouts I feel like it works....either the drink or the workouts keeps me strong ha-ha

Just understand there is no easy way to get strong, give up drinking booze, eating out, friends that are not climbers..ect..ect...

When i first read this I didn't see the comma between "out" and "friends"...Cool

jbro_135

Dec 16, 2010, 5:07 PM
Post #12 of 57 (13876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kiwiprincess wrote:
Carbs the night before a big day.

i agree, it's important to have lots of energy to sleep properly

kiwiprincess

Dec 16, 2010, 7:56 PM
Post #13 of 57 (13854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To build up good stores of energy in your muscles to burn the next day. if you don't have enough it will use the muscle itself, thats why marathoners etc use gels to top up carbs.

thawild1

Mar 8, 2011, 6:59 PM
Post #14 of 57 (13105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say it depends on the climb. Multi-pitch with a long approach, I would spend the prior week carb loading.(Carbs the night before is not carb loading....) For just a day on the rock doing shorter single pitch climb, I would work more on conditioning than supplements. Cardio is the best way to go!
Other than training, I would say that getting your nutrients from food is better, most all supplements come with a downside.

enigma

Mar 9, 2011, 8:23 AM
Post #15 of 57 (13024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thawild1] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thawild1 wrote:
I would say it depends on the climb. Multi-pitch with a long approach, I would spend the prior week carb loading.(Carbs the night before is not carb loading....) For just a day on the rock doing shorter single pitch climb, I would work more on conditioning than supplements. Cardio is the best way to go!
Other than training, I would say that getting your nutrients from food is better, most all supplements come with a downside.

Endurance is everything, I'm been recently having protein shakes and glutamine. While climbing I'm a big fan of gu. Since it doesn't feel like a lump in my stomach.
Sleep , Rest and Good Nutrition and don't over-train or you liable to be exhausted.

rtwilli4

Mar 9, 2011, 9:33 AM
Post #16 of 57 (13013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to have some whey protein around, but that's just a personal preference from my days as an athlete. It's certainly not essential for climbers. Hell if you're in the habit of doing long approaches w/ a trad rack it will probably just make your legs bigger which is no good.

Other than that I eat a lot of fish, whole grain rice and pasta, lots of green veggies, lot's of citrus for breakfast. Milk at least once a day. Lot's of deli meat on whole wheat bagels, PB&J, cous cous, black bean and chickpea salad, hummus, carrots... I eat as many calories as I can because I've always had a super fast metabolism. I just try and make sure it's healthy stuff. I do eat bacon and eggs for breakfast most days but other than that I've never been into fatty foods. Also don't like sweets... no sodas or twinkies. Bad for your teeth.

An apple before you climb, a few bananas and granola (or a sandwich) during, and some sardines w/ white rice immediately after (or another high protein sandwich w/ white bread).

I don't believe in the multi-vitamin thing. You just piss out most of it anyway and I'm still skeptical of what does stay in your body. Unless they are derived from whole foods (read: EXPEN$IVE) then they very well could be doing more harm than good.

Oh yea, alcohol ruins your recovery... but I still drink a beer or two now and then. A lot less than I used to though and I can tell a difference.

rtwilli4

Mar 9, 2011, 9:38 AM
Post #17 of 57 (13012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [juniorbirdgirl] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

juniorbirdgirl wrote:
Ditto on the eat real food and avoid supplements part.

Check out this new product from CORE Foods called Warrior (www.corefoods.com). You can order it online. It has no sugars added so it doesn't give you a spike/crash and will last for four hours of sustained energy. It is also high in protein so great for recovery after a long climb or a day in training. Plus it's organic and fresh (and yummy!) Nothing like real food for energy!!

The company has a pro-climber that I know using it to fuel his Yangshuo expedition. He says his endurance and strength for difficult climbs has really increased just by changing his diet. He has a blog on their website about how he's increased his stamina and endurance just with food.

HA! Who goes on an "expedition" to Yangshuo? That's like saying I'm going on an "expedition" to Rifle.

jacques

Mar 9, 2011, 2:22 PM
Post #18 of 57 (12995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the muscle, "sugar (carbohydrate)" can be use for 24 hours before the quantity drop. After a marathon, or after three days in a cliff, you need to rebuilt your reserve. If you eat regularly, the same diet than normally, you are not going to be exhausted. You feed your muscle as they use the energy. Many people change what they eat for a week end and are more tired because the body react at the new food than by the exercice. This is particularly true with water. When you are deshydrate, your body take the water that you have around the cell of your muscle for the metabolism. The water is like a "lubrifiant" in your body. They protect the tissue and are use to burn energy. The reserve of water is going to be hight if you drink at least 6 or 8 quart of water per day a week before your exercice and very low if you take energy drink, coffe and...beers (water between cell). When you injure a tendon or muscle, you need protein to rebuilt the muscle. Protein take 5 hours to enter your blood system. So, it is better to take protein 5 or 6 hours before midnight for a best recovery. In the night, the body rebuilt is tissue. You have to take a large range of protein because if you didn't have a kind of amino acid, your body are not going to produce the protein you need. For tendon, glutamine is good.
You can also take drug, but recovering naturally is better. Drug do the same think but chemically and it introduce imbalance in your body.

TheRucat

Mar 9, 2011, 2:33 PM
Post #19 of 57 (12986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Supplements are for pussies. Keep it real and just eat lots of steak and tunafish sandwiches.

jt512

Mar 9, 2011, 6:39 PM
Post #20 of 57 (12951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
Other than that I eat a lot of fish, whole grain rice and pasta, lots of green veggies, lot's of citrus for breakfast. Milk at least once a day. Lot's of deli meat on whole wheat bagels, PB&J, cous cous, black bean and chickpea salad, hummus, carrots... I eat as many calories as I can because I've always had a super fast metabolism. I just try and make sure it's healthy stuff. I do eat bacon and eggs for breakfast most days . . .

Do you actually think that bacon and deli meats are healthy?

Jay

jt512

Mar 9, 2011, 6:42 PM
Post #21 of 57 (12948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacques] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
In the muscle, "sugar (carbohydrate)" can be use for 24 hours before the quantity drop. After a marathon, or after three days in a cliff, you need to rebuilt your reserve. If you eat regularly, the same diet than normally, you are not going to be exhausted. You feed your muscle as they use the energy. Many people change what they eat for a week end and are more tired because the body react at the new food than by the exercice. This is particularly true with water. When you are deshydrate, your body take the water that you have around the cell of your muscle for the metabolism. The water is like a "lubrifiant" in your body. They protect the tissue and are use to burn energy. The reserve of water is going to be hight if you drink at least 6 or 8 quart of water per day a week before your exercice and very low if you take energy drink, coffe and...beers (water between cell). When you injure a tendon or muscle, you need protein to rebuilt the muscle. Protein take 5 hours to enter your blood system. So, it is better to take protein 5 or 6 hours before midnight for a best recovery. In the night, the body rebuilt is tissue. You have to take a large range of protein because if you didn't have a kind of amino acid, your body are not going to produce the protein you need. For tendon, glutamine is good.
You can also take drug, but recovering naturally is better. Drug do the same think but chemically and it introduce imbalance in your body.

The fraction of that that I can understand is wrong.

Jay

shockabuku

Mar 9, 2011, 7:03 PM
Post #22 of 57 (12932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

Jay

Bacon, in moderation - which is hard to do, makes me happy.

Happy is healthy!

rtwilli4

Mar 9, 2011, 7:04 PM
Post #23 of 57 (12931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
Other than that I eat a lot of fish, whole grain rice and pasta, lots of green veggies, lot's of citrus for breakfast. Milk at least once a day. Lot's of deli meat on whole wheat bagels, PB&J, cous cous, black bean and chickpea salad, hummus, carrots... I eat as many calories as I can because I've always had a super fast metabolism. I just try and make sure it's healthy stuff. I do eat bacon and eggs for breakfast most days . . .

Jay

I thought I made it clear that I knew bacon was not healthy. And deli meat is a mixed bag. I eat a lot of turkey, which is healthy, a lot of roast beef, which is healthy in moderation, and a lot of salami, which just tastes too good not to eat.

jt512

Mar 9, 2011, 7:39 PM
Post #24 of 57 (12916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Jay

I thought I made it clear that I knew bacon was not healthy. And deli meat is a mixed bag. I eat a lot of turkey, which is healthy, a lot of roast beef, which is healthy in moderation, and a lot of salami, which just tastes too good not to eat.

Most deli meats, including turkey, are preserved with sodium nitrite or nitrate, which (a) contain too much sodium and (b) are carcinogens. There is evidence that consumption of these foods increases the risk of cancers of the digestive tract in a dose-response manner. Bacon is similarly preserved, so you're actually consuming a great deal of these foods.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 9, 2011, 7:41 PM)

gblauer

Mar 9, 2011, 8:11 PM
Post #25 of 57 (12895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Supplements, for climbing strength and endurance what do you take ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
I have been taking these pills my friend gave me. I think they are called anadrol or something like that.

So when we see you in June you will look like a football player?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook