Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Why are girls so competitive with one another, wheres the love?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

Trailmix

Dec 16, 2010, 7:52 PM
Post #1 of 14 (9578 views)
Shortcut

Why are girls so competitive with one another, wheres the love?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi again all,
Since everyone gave me such great advice last time I posted, something else has been bugging me for some time now.

During the summer, my bf and I would bring people sport climbing with us sometimes (he has a big van) and we fit about 10 people total. Most of the time the group included 6 girls and 4 boys. Some girls just started, but most of them were pretty good. I started noticing early on that these girls were down right vicious, but in a not very obvious way.

The girls would constantly flirt with the guys, and try to show off to them while their gf's were there, with us in the group! Touching them constantly, giggling at not-so-funny things he says, and of course the gf would notice! (BTW, this not only happened to the other girls but with me also, several times)

Then if one of the girls couldn't finish a route, immediately another girl would try it, flash it and explain to everyone how it wasn't really that hard and would bring it up for the rest of the day how great she did on that route earlier, you know the one X fell on and couldnt finish.

When one of the new girl climbers needed help tying her knot or putting on her harness or even just help on a route and if I tried to help her (or another girl), she'd brush off the advice, or look really uninterested. But moments later, the same girl would ask one of the guys the same thing and he'd give the same advise as I did and she'd listen to him!

We only had a big group like this a few times, because after a while I told my bf it's miserable with all this competitiveness, it made me feel pretty uncomfortable. How can I enjoy climbing if all the girls are busy proving to everyone how much better they are from the other girls. We've had different girls come with us almost everytime, and this would happen every single time. Can't we just get all get along, find boys that are single, and enjoy nature and most importantly the climb?

erisspirit

Dec 16, 2010, 7:57 PM
Post #2 of 14 (9574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Trailmix] Why are girls so competitive with one another, wheres the love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

In my experience, the women I have climbed with that express the traits you describe were very insecure. It was almost like a coping mechanism to make themselves feel better about the situation.

Not all Women are like this. I climb with some amazing women who are always kind, supportive, and fun. The more you climb, the more people you will meet, and you will begin to find partners that fit with your personality and style much better.

lena_chita

Dec 16, 2010, 8:47 PM
Post #3 of 14 (9558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Trailmix] Why are girls so competitive with one another, wheres the love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wonder how old you are...

A lot of generalizations from a few women.

Are some women competitive with each other and showing off for the guys? Do some women flirt indiscriminately? Put down others as means of making themselves look better? Sure. Yes. Of course.

Substitute men for women, and reverse it-- and it would still all be true, too.

Not everyone is like that. You don't like them -- you don't climb with them. Very simple. You find others that don't behave like that.

Trailmix wrote:
How can I enjoy climbing if all the girls are busy proving to everyone how much better they are from the other girls. We've had different girls come with us almost everytime, and this would happen every single time. Can't we just get all get along, find boys that are single, and enjoy nature and most importantly the climb?

I understnad that it is annoying, and ridiculous...

But I truly don't see it as an overwhelmingly widespread issue, or a serious distraction from climbing, nature or life enjoyement in general. If it bothers you too much, or if you feel like you are on the receiving end of it all the time, from so many different women, then ask yourself if you are having some insecurity issues.
Or if your boyfriend is encouraging this sort of behavior from women, or is selecting/inviting the ones that behave that way, I guess... possible.

Though I would look at your own attitude and feelings first. In your other post you made it sound like you can rather meekly put up with a lot of bullshit. I wonder if it is because you feel like you deserve it and you have to put up with a lot of bullshit (from your boyfriend, and from life in general) because you don't think that anyone else out there would possibly want you, since you are not "good enough" somehow, and you can't compete with all these other girls.

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 16, 2010, 8:59 PM
Post #4 of 14 (9549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Why are girls so competitive with one another, wheres the love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

It sounds to me(coming from the perspective of having been a NY'er) like you are hanging out with what is really a gym crowd that has somehow managed to find themselves climbing outside. Nasty bf, catty girls.... Let me guess - Chelsea Piers is the common denominator(NTTAWWCP)?

Seriously - I've climbed with plenty of women, and the behavior you mention is simply not what self-respecting climber women exhibit(before the beers around the campfire, anyway).

Trailmix

Dec 16, 2010, 9:12 PM
Post #5 of 14 (9548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Why are girls so competitive with one another, wheres the love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Though I would look at your own attitude and feelings first. In your other post you made it sound like you can rather meekly put up with a lot of bullshit. I wonder if it is because you feel like you deserve it and you have to put up with a lot of bullshit (from your boyfriend, and from life in general) because you don't think that anyone else out there would possibly want you, since you are not "good enough" somehow, and you can't compete with all these other girls.

Wow, thank you so much for this. It really helped me understand myself a little better, even though it stings a little hearing that lol. You are right though, I am the one insecure. I've never really taken the time to see how I am, I just assumed it was wrong of other girls to behave this way but its really my outlook that is flawed. Thank you again Lena, I appreciate your advise!
Oh, I'm 26.

kiwiprincess

Dec 16, 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #6 of 14 (9534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perceptions can differ
1) she's a Bit** trying to show you up
2) Your efforts, looked like great fun and were inspiring. She decided to work the route with you. being a better climber got it first. No idea why you got so down.

I don't think there's anything wrong with competitiveness..Bitchyness is another matter. But it takes all sorts to make the world go around, just take a deep breath and worry about the people you care about. The others will pass through your life in time.

I

Trailmix

Dec 16, 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #7 of 14 (9531 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] Why are girls so competitive with one another, wheres the love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kiwiprincess wrote:
Perceptions can differ
1) she's a Bit** trying to show you up
2) Your efforts, looked like great fun and were inspiring. She decided to work the route with you. being a better climber got it first. No idea why you got so down.

I don't think there's anything wrong with competitiveness..Bitchyness is another matter. But it takes all sorts to make the world go around, just take a deep breath and worry about the people you care about. The others will pass through your life in time.

I

Thanks Smile

smallclimber

Dec 16, 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #8 of 14 (9514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure this is any different to any mixed group in their twenties doing anything together (climbing, other sports, social activities, even may be a work environment). Some people flirt, some people are competitive, some are jealous, some show off, some are meek, some are nice, some aren't so nice. So long as you are happy with your own behaviour I wouldn't worry about it!

wonderwoman

Dec 16, 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #9 of 14 (9506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Life is too short to spend time with people who make you unhappy. Be choosy with whom you hang out & don't engage with people who behave badly.

It does make me angry when women put down other women. We have a 14 yr old daughter and call her out on her behavior when she makes negative comments about other girls. She's too young to realize that women spend their whole lives being judged by men. There is no reason to add our voices to that chorus of criticism.

olderic

Dec 17, 2010, 3:15 AM
Post #10 of 14 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I think you like to push buttons.

granite_grrl

Dec 17, 2010, 4:20 AM
Post #11 of 14 (9470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to admit that this sounds more like younger, or at least more insecure girls. They also seem to be looking for validation from the boys.

Suggestion: head out just you and some cool chicks, no boys. I love climbing with other girls when I can. I find it's usually a very supportive atmosphere, plus the girl talk is a nice change of pace.

jezzzica

Dec 17, 2010, 3:20 PM
Post #12 of 14 (9440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Why are girls so competitive with one another, wheres the love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Many people - both boys and girls - are ultra competitive due to their own insecurities/low self esteem in climbing or in other parts of their lives.

erisspirit

Dec 17, 2010, 4:42 PM
Post #13 of 14 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Why are girls so competitive with one another, wheres the love? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
I have to admit that this sounds more like younger, or at least more insecure girls. They also seem to be looking for validation from the boys.

Suggestion: head out just you and some cool chicks, no boys. I love climbing with other girls when I can. I find it's usually a very supportive atmosphere, plus the girl talk is a nice change of pace.

+1

Partner j_ung

Dec 27, 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #14 of 14 (9222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You hang out with some real winners, don't you?

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook