Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Get this girl some climbing shoes and a chalk bag.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

spikeddem

Dec 17, 2010, 8:46 PM
Post #1 of 33 (10062 views)
Shortcut

Get this girl some climbing shoes and a chalk bag.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Fearless woman

spikeddem

Dec 17, 2010, 9:02 PM
Post #2 of 33 (10033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Get this girl some climbing shoes and a chalk bag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not being afraid automatically means youre a good climber.

Partner j_ung

Dec 17, 2010, 9:31 PM
Post #3 of 33 (9994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Get this girl some climbing shoes and a chalk bag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Climbing shoes and a chalkbag?! A mask and a cape are what she needs!

bill413

Dec 18, 2010, 12:03 AM
Post #4 of 33 (9926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Get this girl some climbing shoes and a chalk bag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ummm....being willing to touch spiders & snakes. Not feeling fear while watching "Blair Witch Project." Clear indications of fearlessness. Unsure

I realize that medical & life history indicate an inability to feel fear - but those examples are trite.

blueeyedclimber

Dec 19, 2010, 9:02 PM
Post #5 of 33 (9755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:

This is false. Fear actually keeps us alive. Having no fear would not be a good thing. The ability to CONTROL that fear is what is helpful to a climber.

Josh

spikeddem

Dec 20, 2010, 1:43 AM
Post #6 of 33 (9612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Get this girl some climbing shoes and a chalk bag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

This is false. Fear actually keeps us alive. Having no fear would not be a good thing. The ability to CONTROL that fear is what is helpful to a climber.

Josh

No. Maybe you should read The Warrior's Way. It's all about learning to look past fear and just "get over it." If you can block out all the fear, then you'll climb better. It's simple.

blueeyedclimber

Dec 20, 2010, 2:21 AM
Post #7 of 33 (9584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Josh

No. Maybe you should read The Warrior's Way. It's all about learning to look past fear and just "get over it." If you can block out all the fear, then you'll climb better. It's simple.

Oh yeah, I forgot. If Arno says it, it must be true Crazy

wonderwoman

Dec 20, 2010, 2:44 AM
Post #8 of 33 (9565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Get this girl some climbing shoes and a chalk bag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Josh

It doesn't sound like either of you have bothered to read the book. But carry on with the smack talk about the book you never read. Blah blah blah.... Angelic

blueeyedclimber

Dec 20, 2010, 2:50 AM
Post #9 of 33 (9560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Get this girl some climbing shoes and a chalk bag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Josh

It doesn't sound like either of you have bothered to read the book. But carry on with the smack talk about the book you never read. Blah blah blah.... Angelic

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend his #1 disciple. Tongue

Partner j_ung

Dec 20, 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #10 of 33 (9486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Josh

I don't know if Arno says exactly that, but I really have to agree with Spikey. While yeah, healthy fear probably keeps us from getting in over our heads, once committed, IMO every ounce of it is detrimental to good climbing. For most of us, this sport is all upstairs.

billl7

Dec 20, 2010, 1:52 PM
Post #11 of 33 (9456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Get this girl some climbing shoes and a chalk bag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I don't know if Arno says exactly that, but I really have to agree with Spikey. While yeah, healthy fear probably keeps us from getting in over our heads, once committed, IMO every ounce of it is detrimental to good climbing. For most of us, this sport is all upstairs.
Yep, healthy fear would probably have kept her from going over to that guy who then threatened to kill her. Somehow, I'm thinking this girl could get way over her head into experimentation 5 pitches up.

Not sure Josh is saying anything different.

Bill L

spikeddem

Dec 20, 2010, 3:18 PM
Post #12 of 33 (9392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Get this girl some climbing shoes and a chalk bag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Josh

I've read it cover to cover twice. I really don't think I'm missing anything. I even went to one of Arno's talks at a local gym.

kachoong

Dec 20, 2010, 5:09 PM
Post #13 of 33 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So first they say she's fearless... then they say she rated 2 out of 10 on a fear scale... I would say a 0 would be fearless.

Partner robdotcalm

Dec 20, 2010, 5:16 PM
Post #14 of 33 (9299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Josh

You climber better for a while, but you'll die sooner rather than later. I can't comment on Arno's book (Rock Warrior's Way) since I never read it. I've tried a couple of times but after a few pages have literally dozed off. I can't comment on the quality of the book, since I find anything I've ever read in that "mind control" genre egregiously dull.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

spikeddem

Dec 20, 2010, 5:17 PM
Post #15 of 33 (9297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Get this girl some climbing shoes and a chalk bag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Josh

You climber better for a while, but you'll die sooner rather than later. I can't comment on Arno's book (Rock Warrior's Way) since I never read it. I've tried a couple of times but after a few pages have literally dozed off. I can't comment on the quality of the book, since I find anything I've ever read in that "mind control" genre egregiously dull.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus
If you read the book, you'd see that your first sentence is wrong.

curt

Dec 20, 2010, 6:40 PM
Post #16 of 33 (9239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
robdotcalm wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Josh

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus
If you read the book, you'd see that your first sentence is wrong.

I can (but won't, out of respect) list a number of truly world class climbers who are dead today only because they did not have a healthy respect (fear) for the situations they regularly put themselves into. There are threads about several of these people right here on RC.com.

Curt

notapplicable

Dec 20, 2010, 6:40 PM
Post #17 of 33 (9236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:

...and only shoes and a chalk bag.

You remember the few minutes during Alex Honnold's solo of Half Dome when he has a mini-freakout? Can you imagine what he could do if he was born with her condition!

spikeddem

Dec 20, 2010, 6:44 PM
Post #18 of 33 (9228 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Get this girl some climbing shoes and a chalk bag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

...and only shoes and a chalk bag.

You remember the few minutes during Alex Honnold's solo of Half Dome when he has a mini-freakout? Can you imagine what he could do if he was born with her condition!
Exactly. I don't think other people are getting it.

wonderwoman

Dec 20, 2010, 7:41 PM
Post #19 of 33 (9166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Josh

I've read it cover to cover twice. I really don't think I'm missing anything. I even went to one of Arno's talks at a local gym.

I've also read the RWW twice (and have the audio book), Espresso Lessons once, taken his class and volunteered with two of his clinics with Sterling rope. (So, sadly, maybe Josh is right in calling me a disciple. Angelic Guilty as charged - I am a shameless fan!)

What I got from his lessons is that it is helpful to learn from your fear, rather than ignore it. You need to be able to recognize a real dangerous situation and act accordingly. If you ignore your fear, you will not stop to do that.

Here is a good piece that Arno himself wrote in the RWW forum:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=1579282#1579282

blueeyedclimber

Dec 20, 2010, 8:49 PM
Post #20 of 33 (9113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:

What I got from his lessons is that it is helpful to learn from your fear, rather than ignore it. You need to be able to recognize a real dangerous situation and act accordingly. If you ignore your fear, you will not stop to do that.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Fear is different then panic. Panic is bad. Fear is good. I don't believe that Arno ever says to ignore your fear. I'm with Rob in the dozing off group who couldn't get through the first chapter. That doesn't mean it's a bad book, it just means it wasn't for me.

What I believe Arno says, or at least I say, is that you must recognize your fear, make an informed decision from it and move on. That moving on part may be to back off, depending on what your fear tells you. Someone who just pushes on, ignoring their fear (or worse, lack of fear), no matter what the situation, is stupid IMO.

Josh

wonderwoman

Dec 20, 2010, 8:53 PM
Post #21 of 33 (9105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
I'm with Rob in the dozing off group who couldn't get through the first chapter. That doesn't mean it's a bad book, it just means it wasn't for me.

To be honest with you, I found the first chapter to be a turn off. I can't exactly say why, but the gems are in the rest of the book. Maybe it hit too close to home for me or something.

spikeddem

Dec 20, 2010, 9:00 PM
Post #22 of 33 (9090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some people just overcomplicate everything when they read. Don't look into the text so hard for something that isn't there.

wonderwoman

Dec 20, 2010, 9:03 PM
Post #23 of 33 (9087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Some people just overcomplicate everything when they read. Don't look into the text so hard for something that isn't there.

If you say so.

Or maybe it's your reading comprehension. Just sayin'.

blueeyedclimber

Dec 20, 2010, 9:04 PM
Post #24 of 33 (9086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:

You said the girl would be a good climber because she doesn't feel fear. I, and others, have said that is not true, and would eventually catch up to her. Who's looking into anything?

Josh

spikeddem

Dec 20, 2010, 9:07 PM
Post #25 of 33 (9079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

You said the girl would be a good climber because she doesn't feel fear. I, and others, have said that is not true, and would eventually catch up to her. Who's looking into anything?

Josh
Arno book.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook