RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

ilovetoclimbRR

Dec 21, 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2038 views)
Shortcut

Pregnant climber in Las Vegas needs doctor referral
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just found out I'm pregnant Smile and as I'm new to the area, don't have a doctor yet. I'd love to find a doctor in the West Las Vegas area that has had pregnant climbers as clients before (or best of all, was one herself!). Any recommendations would be welcome!

petsfed

Dec 21, 2010, 11:32 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ilovetoclimbRR] Pregnant climber in Las Vegas needs doctor referral [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ilovetoclimbRR wrote:
I just found out I'm pregnant Smile and as I'm new to the area, don't have a doctor yet. I'd love to find a doctor in the West Las Vegas area that has had pregnant climbers as clients before (or best of all, was one herself!). Any recommendations would be welcome!

I have no suggestions for you, other than be ready for a bunch of busy bodies telling you not to climb. Congratulations!

erisspirit

Dec 21, 2010, 1:12 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2004 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ilovetoclimbRR] Pregnant climber in Las Vegas needs doctor referral [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a lot of girls on this site who climbed safely through their pregnancies...whether or not they can give you a doc recommendation I don't know, but I do know they can give you some good information. Congrats on the Pregnancy

climbs4fun

Dec 21, 2010, 5:24 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ilovetoclimbRR wrote:

I can give you a good recommendation on a doc in W. Las Vegas. But you're better off to talk to other climbers in the area for the climbing advice. I'm quite sure that this doc didn't ever climb. But she's good.

enigma

Dec 22, 2010, 7:36 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] Pregnant climber in Las Vegas needs doctor referral [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you honestly think a obgyn doctor is going to say go ahead and climb and risk the liability, med malpractice, being sued.
The effects of various substances on the unborn is not known. Every day they find out more and more information. Even a little x-ray in a dentists office , pollution can cause autism and leukemia later on in children.
You can do a search on the internet for board certified doctors, or maybe a midwife would be more easygoing. Good Luck

Partner macherry

Dec 23, 2010, 7:29 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Pregnant climber in Las Vegas needs doctor referral [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Do you honestly think a obgyn doctor is going to say go ahead and climb and risk the liability, med malpractice, being sued.
The effects of various substances on the unborn is not known. Every day they find out more and more information. Even a little x-ray in a dentists office , pollution can cause autism and leukemia later on in children.

You can do a search on the internet for board certified doctors, or maybe a midwife would be more easygoing. Good Luck

no, but she can find a doctor who is an athlete or cares for athletes and will advise her accurately during the pregnancy. i have a friend who is a obygn. she a mtn. biker, skier and she does advise her patients to be physically active during the pregnancy. climbing is no different.

i don't know where the hell you are going with the substance talk!!!

erisspirit

Dec 23, 2010, 1:54 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Pregnant climber in Las Vegas needs doctor referral [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

an internet search for board certified doctors is the last thing you want to do if you don't have to. There are a lot of bad but certified doctors out there (I've had a few of them). If you can get a recommendation from someone with personal experience, that is so much more useful than a google search. While she MAY not get the answer she wants here, it's at least worth a shot.

As an active person it is really important to find a doctor that understands this and will work with you, and provide good advise. This is true for any doctor...pregnancy related or not.

what does substances, x-rays, and pollution have to do with her trying to find a doctor familiar with pregnancy and climbing?

htotsu

Dec 23, 2010, 5:02 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Pregnant climber in Las Vegas needs doctor referral [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe Enigma was talking about chalk dust...

In any case, best wishes to the OP. Congratulations on your new addition!

lhwang

Dec 24, 2010, 8:37 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1857 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Pregnant climber in Las Vegas needs doctor referral [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You know, I don't think a board search is a bad idea. I'm pretty sure that in the U.S. the board will be able to tell you if a doctor you're considering has had any disciplinary actions.

If you talk to a former patient, really I find that the only thing you get an idea of is the doctor's bedside manner. Your average patient is not going to say: "He was nice but he forgot to order GBS sensitivity testing and I had to ask him to use clindamycin instead of erythromycin due to the lower rate of resistance in our area."

Is how the doctor interacts with you important? Yes, of course, but it's definitely not the only factor. The doctor's skill/knowledge/experience is more important to me, not whether they're warm and fuzzy and will hold my hand or whether they're a climber/supportive of climbing during pregnancy.

erisspirit

Dec 26, 2010, 6:42 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Pregnant climber in Las Vegas needs doctor referral [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
You know, I don't think a board search is a bad idea. I'm pretty sure that in the U.S. the board will be able to tell you if a doctor you're considering has had any disciplinary actions.

If you talk to a former patient, really I find that the only thing you get an idea of is the doctor's bedside manner. Your average patient is not going to say: "He was nice but he forgot to order GBS sensitivity testing and I had to ask him to use clindamycin instead of erythromycin due to the lower rate of resistance in our area."

Is how the doctor interacts with you important? Yes, of course, but it's definitely not the only factor. The doctor's skill/knowledge/experience is more important to me, not whether they're warm and fuzzy and will hold my hand or whether they're a climber/supportive of climbing during pregnancy.

I do agree, and perhaps more research after having a recommendation is a great idea, but I don't really agree with writing someone off trying to find a recommendation by telling them to just find someone... anyone... board certified... a recommendation CAN be VERY helpful. I have found a couple terrible doctors (ones I'm shocked didn't have a record) via just a random search.

Of course she might come up empty handed, and then pure research is great, but if you can narrow the list down, why not ?

I'm sorry I didn't mean to say it was a terrible Idea, it is of course another resource. I just think the OP is doing the right thing by asking around while looking for someone who will understand her sport and pregnancy...

jeepnphreak

Dec 27, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ilovetoclimbRR wrote:

Congrats. Not much help on the Dr. search

But My wife climbed up till she was 7 months along. After her harness quit fitting she got a full body harness (petzl 8003) and stuck to top roped. At the 7 month mark her bully was interfering with much over a 5.5. and had to give up climbing until after the kiddo.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.95 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)
$13.46 (10% off)
$13.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook