Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
The price differences/ general differences in pitons?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

qwert

Dec 27, 2010, 3:07 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1374 views)
Shortcut

The price differences/ general differences in pitons?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So what exactly makes the price differences on pitons?

For exapmle i can buy a BD angle between 13 and 16, whereas i have to pay 7 for a edelrid V-peg.

Both are by a respected manufacturer, and certified.

Might have to do with the fact the the BDs are american, whereas the edelrids are european, but if i check the US prices, the BDs are priced similar, whereas the euros (CAMP in this case, couldnt find someone in the US who has edelrid) are still cheaper.

So what exactly would make the Black diamond pitons that much better than the edelrids, that they would be worth the double price?

I am mostly looking at it from an "alpine perspective", since i am trying to built a small piton rack for "emergencys", but i guess you aiders are probably the folks with the most experience on banging stuff into the rock.

qwert

coastal_climber

Dec 27, 2010, 8:18 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] The price differences/ general differences in pitons? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always used either CAMP pins or BD. I would say the price difference is probably due to name brand. CAMP lost arrows are durable as fuck!

All Edelrid stuff is cheap, not just their pins.

And if its just for "emergencies" then durability isn't much of an issue.

(This post was edited by coastal_climber on Dec 27, 2010, 8:20 AM)

julio412

Dec 27, 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being that you're in Europe, you might also look into Grivels, Luckys,Clogs,Stubais,Simonds,Petzls,and Russian Titanium pins.
Camp use to, and maybe still does make the Lost Arrows for BD.
Depending on what range of pins you're looking at, and considering you're mainly concerned with "emergencies";
I'd consider Titanium.
There's a women on eBay who's sells a set of Ti pins for pretty damn cheap, which in turn, makes them disposable.
Mario

qwert

Dec 28, 2010, 1:19 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] The price differences/ general differences in pitons? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
All Edelrid stuff is cheap, not just their pins.
I guess you have to differ between the "generic hardware" and the ropes. I think they even invented the modern kernmantel ropes.

The hardware is now rebranded lucky stuff mostly, but they are pushing some own developements. Their chief engineer seems to be a cool guy, so i would expect some nice stuff from them.

But apart from that: I dont really see what one could do wrong with pins. No advanced techniques, no fancy materials nor moving parts.

The Name surely will factor in the price, but for about double the price of the "no name" edelrids, BD has to have something else?

qwert

qwert

Dec 28, 2010, 1:23 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [julio412] The price differences/ general differences in pitons? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

julio412 wrote:
Being that you're in Europe, you might also look into Grivels, Luckys,Clogs,Stubais,Simonds,Petzls,and Russian Titanium pins.
Yeah, i guess i will just get what my local shop has.

In reply to:
Depending on what range of pins you're looking at, and considering you're mainly concerned with "emergencies";
I'd consider Titanium.
Ti sounds nice, but they are hard to get, especially when you want to get them from a somewhat respected mfg. Also i guess starting to discuss Ti vs. Steel pins is a whole 'nother can of worms.

qwert

julio412

Dec 28, 2010, 1:16 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Ti pins can be hard to find.
I've scrounged quite a few over the years and keep them around for rappels.
Though they don't place as well as steel pins, and since I'm usually leaving them as anchors, I place them for permanence.
Ti pins, like Ti screws , I save for the Alpine; the larger bore screws ( Ti-Top, Salewa, Camp) are slower to place than steel, but hold better, due to their diameter in alpine ice.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook