RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Roughedges

Dec 27, 2010, 9:34 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Ice Climbing NY GoPro Hd Hero Wide
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just went Ice climbing for the first time. Took some footage. Here is a Rough Cut. This is a route I tried twice and nailed the second time. I know Im not good but this is my first time.

A little backround. I started climbing about 4 months ago. Could not even do a pull up before that. Trained 4-5 days a week for most of the time with one week a month off. Now my max is about 5.10/v5-6. I tried to train for this as best as possible. Lots of reading on the forums. I guess it worked because the guide did say I was in good shape. I did about 8 routes this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsqXeD7DNhQ

rocknice2

Dec 29, 2010, 7:03 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Roughedges] Ice Climbing NY GoPro Hd Hero Wide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

YouTube's roughedgesMR wrote:

Just found the climb. Its No. 8, Asbestos Wall W12+/M
Welcome to ice climbing.
It's great that you enjoy it.

FYI It's WI2+ as in Winter Ice
W12+ is about 5 full grade above world class level.

Keep at it maybe 1 day.
If you can, come up to the Dacks in the future. It's well worth the trip.

(This post was edited by rocknice2 on Dec 29, 2010, 7:05 PM)

Roughedges

Dec 29, 2010, 8:14 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Ice Climbing NY GoPro Hd Hero Wide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I just dont understand this part.

FYI It's WI2+ as in Winter Ice
W12+ is about 5 full grade above world class level.

I know its a w12+ I thought a W12 was the easiest. Not sure of these ratings. I only know bouldering and climbing ratings. What makes the plus?

And you mean is 5 full grades under world class.

rocknice2

Dec 30, 2010, 6:37 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK I made an error
It's wi_2+ as in water ice 2+, hence the wi
As far as I know WI7+ is the top of the scale

yes, wi2+ is an easy grade

WI numeric scaleThis system measures the difficulty of routes on water ice. The WI scale currently spans grades from 17. There also exists a rating scale for Alpine Ice (compacted snow/ glacial ice) that has the same rating system as the "WI" system, but is instead denoted by "AI." The primary difference between the two is the density of the ice, Water Ice being much more dense.

WI2 - low-angled (60 degree consistent ice), with good technique can be easily climbed with one ice axe. Grades beyond this generally require the use of two ice tools.

WI3 - generally sustained in the 60-70 degree range with occasional near-vertical steps up to 4 metres (Cascade Waterfall, Banff; This House of Sky, Ghost River)

WI4 - near-vertical steps of up to 10 metres, generally sustained climbing requiring placing protection screws from strenuous stances (Professor's Falls, Banff; Weeping Wall Left, Icefields Parkway, Banff; Silk Tassle, Yoho; Moonlight & Snowline, Kananskis)

WI4+ - highly technical WI4. (Wicked Wanda, Ghost River)

WI5 - near-vertical or vertical steps of up to 20 metres, sustained climbing requiring placing multiple protection screws from strenuous stances with few good rests (Carlsberg Column, Field; The Sorcerer, Ghost River; Bourgeau Left Hand, Banff)

WI5+ - highly technical WI5 (Oh le Tabernac, Icefield Parkway; Hydrophobia, Ghost River; Sacre Bleu, Banff)

WI6 - vertical climbing for the entire pitch (e.g. 3060 metres) with no rests. Requires excellent technique and/or a high level of fitness (The Terminator, Banff; Nemesis, Kootenay Park; Whiteman Falls, Kananaskis Country; Riptide, Banff)

WI6+ - vertical or overhanging with no rests, and highly technical WI6 (French Maid, Yoho; French Reality, Kootenay Park)

WI7 - sustained and overhanging with no rests. Extremely rare, near-mythical, and widely accepted testpiece examples of this grade don't exist in the Canadian Rockies. Note that many routes (e.g. Sea of Vapours, Banff; Riptide, Icefield Parkway, Banff) have been assigned WI7- to WI7+ but have been subsequently downgraded in latter years as they don't meet the strict criteria of steepness. In fact some local ice climbers have argued for Sea of Vapours (WI7+ originally) to be downgraded to WI5 or even WI4 simply because it's not steep enough.

AntinJ

Dec 30, 2010, 7:08 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Way to go!

Let your adventures begin.

Jason

gunkiemike

Jan 2, 2011, 9:50 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's good climbing for your first day!

(You need to clean the lens on your still camera.)

scotty1974

Jan 10, 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice work!!

small tip...swing more from your elbow than from your shoulder with a bit of a flick at the end.

All tools will swing different but with your vipers that will help reduce your effort and get a good stick. The more you climb ice the more you'll learn to reduce your effort level. I still work on that myself but try to get and set good sticks in 1-2 swings instead of wailing on the ice. That will help to reduce some of that "fish arm" you were feeling at the top of that pillar.

Welcome to the sport!!

(This post was edited by scotty1974 on Jan 10, 2011, 11:47 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook