RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

chmorelock07

Jan 2, 2011, 6:08 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Gettin back on the horse...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I was climbing back in May and took a nasty 15 foot fall, cam ripped out of the wall, and I landed on my back, and broke my wrist. I swore that my climbing days were over! But im starting to plan another climbing tripping soon and I was just wondering how many of you have done the same thing? I guess one accident in 6 years of climbing aint to bad? Lol, I cant stay away, climbing is to much fun!

Partner xtrmecat

Jan 2, 2011, 7:07 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chmorelock07] Gettin back on the horse... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear you, loud and clear. Although I never considered giving climbing up, not at all. I found my head was not as into it as it used to be.

We were moving extremely fast in May on Middle Cathedral, and although on toprope(following with the pack), my foot slipped on the left leaning wet slabby dihedral move that was wet from the rain, and off before I knew it. Landed so hard on my butt on the ledge I left just moments before. The leader was reeling in the cord as fast as he could, and we were moving so fast that there was plenty of rope out. I came onto the rope just as I augered in. Left a bruise like nobodies business. I saw bright flash in my eyes and the spine and related body parts haven't been shocked that hard in a very long time. Screwed up my free lead head for a while.

The point is this never made me want to quit climbing, not even close. Reevaluation of my methods for sure though. Climbing is more than hobby, or interest. I would think it is more of a passion, obsession, or even way of life. Not easily given up, even when injured. The head over ledges will take a while to heal, but I still go there, just much more cautiously.

Burly Bob

chmorelock07

Jan 2, 2011, 7:19 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] Gettin back on the horse... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn! I hear ya, even when I said I was done climbing, inside I knew that I wasnt! lol

MS1

Jan 3, 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chmorelock07 wrote:
So I was climbing back in May and took a nasty 15 foot fall, cam ripped out of the wall, and I landed on my back, and broke my wrist. I swore that my climbing days were over! But im starting to plan another climbing tripping soon and I was just wondering how many of you have done the same thing? I guess one accident in 6 years of climbing aint to bad? Lol, I cant stay away, climbing is to much fun!

I was luckier than you; I decked from 30 feet up a sport route due to a bad belay and walked away with only minor injuries. Still took a while to get my head back in the game. It was a while before I was willing to push myself on lead again, but I can tell you that the motivation and confidence does come back. Go on your trip, start slow, and stick with it.

p.s. Learn from my mistakes; don't get complacent about trusting new belayers, even during an easy day out at a sport crag.

gerasal

Jan 3, 2011, 1:56 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wasn't as lucky. Stupid rapel accident and rapped of the end of the rope. Fell on my back and got a nice compression fracture on a vertebra half way down my back. But it never, for a second, made me want to stop climbing. I was on the rock 6 weeks later, even though I get reminded of my error almost every day by a bit of pain... over 10 years later.

I did learn a lot about safety that day though. I am a lot more careful with my climbing setups now. But I've done my hardest climbing after that accident.

Always remember, knots on the ends of the rope when you rapel are not a good idea... they are a must that can save your life!!!

Gerry

jt512

Jan 3, 2011, 4:42 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

chmorelock07 wrote:

Most climbers eventually get injured. However, we try to learn from our mistakes, rather than treat them as statistical eventualities. Since you are doing the latter, rather than trying to understand why a cam you placed failed, and what you need to learn to prevent your repeating your mistake, IMO, you should find a safer hobby. You're not cut out for rock climbing.

Jay

billcoe_

Jan 3, 2011, 4:56 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Gettin back on the horse... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Most climbers eventually get injured. However, we try to learn from our mistakes, rather than treat them as statistical eventualities. Since you are doing the latter, rather than trying to understand why a cam you placed failed, and what you need to learn to prevent your repeating your mistake, IMO, you should find a safer hobby. You're not cut out for rock climbing.

Jay

I agree that self evaluation is critical, but feel your response is too harsh JT. We do not know, from the few sparse words we are given, if he might not have already dealt with what you discuss, and isn't already past that and just looking to re-examine the mental aspects of his game.

BTW chmorelock, in answer to your question. Me. 80 footer. Near death. Blah blah. Came back, it's fine. It's certainly the mental part of learning from my mistakes and trying to avoid making more that needed work on back then, in fact, I still see experienced people die, and know that one can never let down. Not once.

Welcome back.

jt512

Jan 3, 2011, 5:26 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Gettin back on the horse... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

I agree that self evaluation is critical, but feel your response is too harsh JT. We do not know, from the few sparse words we are given, if he might not have already dealt with what you discuss, and isn't already past that and just looking to re-examine the mental aspects of his game.

We can only judge him by what he writes. My opinion stands.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 3, 2011, 5:29 AM)

billcoe_

Jan 4, 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Gettin back on the horse... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
We can only judge him by what he writes. My opinion stands.
Jay

Although that may in fact be many peoples opinion Jay, very few people would re-start the welcome back conversation in such a socially backwards, awkward and unacceptable manner by verbally kicking the new guy square in the balls. My opinion stands as well.

I gave your post 5 stars for honesty anyway and to counteract whomever is giving you one star every post. Please feel free to now critique my post, climbing skill, parentage and intelligence now as is your custom:-) Laugh

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook