Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Jan 6, 2011, 7:32 AM
Post #1 of 39 (6056 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering is all about socializing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I love you guys, I do cause you do nothing but sit in a group , watch each other and follow one another like a pack of........sit again then one or two of you gets up, hands in the air , trying to protect another dude, ohh yaaa, dyno, sit , move to another V&*^ section like a pack of.......sit, talk, try few more move ,then bye bye and go home.

At least that's how it looks in and around my local gym.

mrswix

Jan 6, 2011, 7:44 AM
Post #2 of 39 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lulz.

swoopee

Jan 6, 2011, 1:02 PM
Post #3 of 39 (6009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought bouldering was masturbation.

sbaclimber

Jan 6, 2011, 1:13 PM
Post #4 of 39 (6003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swoopee] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

swoopee wrote:
Nah, it's not nearly that much fun...

mojomonkey

Jan 6, 2011, 1:34 PM
Post #5 of 39 (5983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and what's the deal with airline food?

TaylorP

Jan 6, 2011, 2:05 PM
Post #6 of 39 (5964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BAM!

Kartessa

Jan 6, 2011, 2:33 PM
Post #7 of 39 (5944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since when do you climb in a gym?

blueeyedclimber

Jan 6, 2011, 2:37 PM
Post #8 of 39 (5942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You bring up a lot of good points (not really) Majid. Which leads me to wonder.....

Do boulderers ever have epics?
Can you get a boulderer n00b pack at REI complete with shoes, chalk bucket and beanie?
How does their pre-climb communication go?...
"On Spot."
"Spot on."
"Sending."
"Send On."
And what's with the word "Brah?" A Brah is something that I spent my teen years figuring out how to get off.

Josh

Kartessa

Jan 6, 2011, 2:39 PM
Post #9 of 39 (5935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
You bring up a lot of good points (not really) Majid. Which leads me to wonder.....

Do boulderers ever have epics?
Can you get a boulderer n00b pack at REI complete with shoes, chalk bucket and beanie?
How does their pre-climb communication go?...
"On Spot."
"Spot on."
"Sending."
"Send On."
And what's with the word "Brah?" A Brah is something that I spent my teen years figuring out how to get off.

Josh
Laugh

krusher4

Jan 6, 2011, 2:45 PM
Post #10 of 39 (5928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swoopee] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

swoopee wrote:

I'm still in the old skool thought that bouldering is training for the real thing....same could be said about masturbation.
So sick of the 'brah' and other surfer talk, in CO we are very...VERY...far from any ocean, yet like every mid-size city in America has those skate/surf style shops. But, that is why I try not to forget an ipod when im in a bouldering gym....

saint_john

Jan 6, 2011, 2:56 PM
Post #11 of 39 (5911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I love you guys, I do cause you do nothing but sit in a group , watch each other and follow one another like a pack of........sit again then one or two of you gets up, hands in the air , trying to protect another dude, ohh yaaa, dyno, sit , move to another V&*^ section like a pack of.......sit, talk, try few more move ,then bye bye and go home.

what's the matter? no friends to talk to?

tripperjm

Jan 6, 2011, 3:10 PM
Post #12 of 39 (5896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Dutch Rudder?

spikeddem

Jan 6, 2011, 3:29 PM
Post #13 of 39 (5875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering was invented in a very careful way.

Its creators knew that many experienced roped climbers would be shocked by how bad they were at it relative to their roped climbing grades and, even more likely, to the relative standard of bouldering. The creators then added things like beanies, a lack of shirts, the word "breh/brah," etc so that these nobs could divert their internal feelings of rejection from bouldering standards onto the boulderers.

It sure is disappointing to reach the magical grade of 5.12 in roped climbing, only to be climbing the rather un-magical grade of V4 when you boulder, Mr. RopedClimber.

mr.tastycakes

Jan 6, 2011, 5:38 PM
Post #14 of 39 (5797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's your point? Yes, bouldering is the most social of all climbing styles. Is there something wrong with that?

I probably spend more than 95% of my outdoor climbing time on routes. For me, bouldering is a nice break from the mental demands of trad climbing, and I enjoy it from time to time. Bouldering is just a laugh with friends...pack a cooler up with some beers and lunch, and go play around on the little rocks for a day.

slartibartfast

Jan 6, 2011, 6:51 PM
Post #15 of 39 (5760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

It's super funny to me that, after an attentive reading of this post, all he seems to be ranting about is the shallow banality of indoor bouldering as compared to the near-mystical awesomeness of indoor roped climbing.

You clearly go to a gym. If you don't go to train or socialize(2 points at which bouldering excels)then why are you there?

rtwilli4

Jan 6, 2011, 6:58 PM
Post #16 of 39 (5752 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

If that's the noob pack, what's the advanced boulderer pack? I'll bet they add in 17 crash pads and a blow up surfer doll.

mojomonkey

Jan 6, 2011, 7:11 PM
Post #17 of 39 (5738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.tastycakes] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mr.tastycakes wrote:
bouldering is the most social of all climbing styles

Not necessarily... I saw a group of 5 climbers (on 4 ropes in serial) slink their way up a climb at Seneca. They only had one leader and it looked like he wasn't casting off on the next pitch until everyone and all the gear regrouped at the belay. I imagine that left them plenty of time for socializing, relative to climbing time.

lena_chita

Jan 6, 2011, 7:24 PM
Post #18 of 39 (5721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.tastycakes] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mr.tastycakes wrote:
What's your point? Yes, bouldering is the most social of all climbing styles. Is there something wrong with that?

Majid is just saying that he is used to men sitting around talking, socializing and drinking tea all day (b/c that's what men do all day in Uzbekistan). And he is not sure why would they need to bother with climbing in between all that, b/c he would be much more comfortable if he didn't have to actually climb.

erisspirit

Jan 6, 2011, 7:29 PM
Post #19 of 39 (5715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
mr.tastycakes wrote:

Majid is just saying that he is used to men sitting around talking, socializing and drinking tea all day (b/c that's what men do all day in Uzbekistan). And he is not sure why would they need to bother with climbing in between all that, b/c he would be much more comfortable if he didn't have to actually climb.

teacups do sit better on tables than crash pads that are being fallen on

spikeddem

Jan 6, 2011, 7:36 PM
Post #20 of 39 (5705 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
mr.tastycakes wrote:

teacups do sit better on tables than crash pads that are being fallen on
"Can't you see we're having a fucking tea party here?"

majid_sabet

Jan 6, 2011, 7:44 PM
Post #21 of 39 (5699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slartibartfast] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slartibartfast wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

It's super funny to me that, after an attentive reading of this post, all he seems to be ranting about is the shallow banality of indoor bouldering as compared to the near-mystical awesomeness of indoor roped climbing.

You clearly go to a gym. If you don't go to train or socialize(2 points at which bouldering excels)then why are you there?

I go to gym to train and once in a awhile, I cross in to bouldering territory but then while with all the sh*t hanging from the harness, i try few V moves while people in the pack watching and wondering if rope climbing dudes can actually accomplish anything in the bouldering zone.

yes, some of us can climb some of the Vs but we rather circle around our own pack.

slartibartfast

Jan 6, 2011, 8:21 PM
Post #22 of 39 (5665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
slartibartfast wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

I go to gym to train and once in a awhile, I cross in to bouldering territory but then while with all the sh*t hanging from the harness, i try few V moves while people in the pack watching and wondering if rope climbing dudes can actually accomplish anything in the bouldering zone.

yes, some of us can climb some of the Vs but we rather circle around our own pack.

Mostly, it is just funny to me that any climber would feel justified in looking down on another climbing community as a whole, even when fun stereotypes such as beanies, going shirtless, and the admittedly annoying "brah!" are involved.

People like to belong to groups, and groups tend to have distinct language styles and word usage; some even have distinct grammar. So, unless one of these grammatically challenged individuals decides to set themselves up as the norm by writing a bestselling vampire series, why should any of us judge?

I bet that many people reading this, some of whom publicly deride bouldering lingo, could think of at least half a dozen jokes and phrases that would be funny or comprehensible only to this specific community. And by this specific community, I don't mean climbers as a whole; I mean ONLY readers of RC.com and other online forums. Have any of you ever used any of these words/phrases:

-useless without pics!
-yer gonna die!
-ptftw

And for the climbing community as a whole:

-Splitter
-Bomber
-Gnar(goofy, but still used with great respect, and has even been the subject of a published article)
-Sprad(please don't start any fights, people)

My point is that is that anyone who takes part in any aspect of climbing(or any other activity nonessential to life)and uses jargon specific to that activity where a perfectly normal word would suffice should, in all fairness, keep their pie-hole shut.

At least there are still things on which we all agree, such as the unprecedented lameness of sport rappeling and aid climbing.

(This post was edited by slartibartfast on Jan 6, 2011, 8:25 PM)

spikeddem

Jan 6, 2011, 8:45 PM
Post #23 of 39 (5641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slartibartfast] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slartibartfast wrote:
Have any of you ever used any of these words/phrases:

-useless without pics!
-yer gonna die!
-ptftw

-Splitter
-Bomber
-Gnar(goofy, but still used with great respect, and has even been the subject of a published article)

Useless without pics is a very common expression on the internet. Gnar is definitely used commonly outside of climbing. E.g., skateboarding: Shred some gnar.

slartibartfast

Jan 6, 2011, 9:09 PM
Post #24 of 39 (5623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Bouldering is all about socializing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
slartibartfast wrote:
readers of RC.com and other online forums. Have any of you ever used any of these words/phrases:

-useless without pics!
-yer gonna die!
-ptftw

-Splitter
-Bomber

Useless without pics is a very common expression on the internet. Gnar is definitely used commonly outside of climbing. E.g., skateboarding: Shred some gnar.
Note the bolded text.

Interesting point about skateboarding and "gnar", though. I used to primarily associate the word with skateboarding and surfing, the latter of which also brought us "brah". Skateboarding is a sport where groups of people often practice the same moves, hitting the same ramp and grinding the same rail, over and over until they get it just right, like bouldering. It's funny that the skateboarding crowd is more likely to hit the boulders, while their jargon(gnar, specifically)has been appropriated(as far as I have heard it used) primarily by the roped climbing, even multi-pitch, communities. Aww, gee!! Maybe everybody's the same after all.

My main point is only that everbody, even someone who looks down on the "brah!" shouting boulder crowd, has his own nonsensical mannerisms, and even pretentions, that are equally as deserving of derision or respect, depending on your viewpoint.

Maybe somebody artistic can whip up a "Bouldering Is Not a Crime" T-shirt, if it hasn't been done already.

ClimbSoHigh

Jan 6, 2011, 9:14 PM
Post #25 of 39 (5617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reasons why I like to boulder.

1. I smoke cigs (or did... day 6 of quitting)
2. More relaxing and social that roped climbing.
3. You can do it drunk and/or stoned.
4. I'm afraid of heights. Once I get above that tree line, I stay in my 10ft bubble.
5. You can hang out with more friends.
6. Instead of belayer neck or numb legs from too much harness time, you get to relax on pads and take a nap if you want.
7. All focus is on a few moves, so almost all focus is on the climbing/moves. Roped climbing you have to focus on your knots, rope management, your systems, biners, your surroundings, double checking each other, and just general constant attentiveness. More or less roped climbing you need to be on point from the moment you arrive at the cliff till when you leave. I know/hear once you get the trad stuff really dialed it comes almost second nature and its more about the climbing again, but there is still way more to pay attention to when climbing trad, or any roped climbing for that matter, than bouldering.
8. WAAAAAAY CHEAPER .
9. Easier to photograph.
10. Beenies keep my dome piece warm. Granted my helmet does too, but damn do I look good in that Beenie :)

Nobody says brah I climb with except this one guy from Cali, who also ropes up (mostly boulders though). We do make fun of him plenty for it, and his hippie VW bus. I am pretty sure it’s a west coast thing, but I have a hypothesis. If you’re a brain dead hippie surfer, it makes sense to gravitate to bouldering instead of trad, since there is less to learn, less mental work out, more drugs, and its dirt cheap to get into. It's different strokes for different folks, but for some reason trad climbers seem to have this issue with boulderers, as if they were hogging all your routes. (Or they took your parking spots at the Gunks and got back early and took the best camping spots too! lol) but boulderers seem to be indifferent to trad climbers, maybe cuz they just smoked a bone and ate a chalupa.

Trad has it's place in my heart, and more and more I am getting drawn into it due to the crazy adrenaline I get on lead, but there is a LOT more shit going on with trad climbing and it gets mentally exhausting at times. Sometimes I am in the mood to spin my wheels (leading sport and especially now trad), sometimes I want to get scared but stay safer (TR, perma second, rope solo). But usually I just like to relax in the woods with some buddies, and go wrestle some pebbles with a six pack. It makes me happy, and that’s all I care about.

DISCLAIMER…

For the record, yes bouldering at the Gunks is like jerking off at a whore house, but come on, who really wants those herpes anyways? But kidding aside, even as a lover of bouldering, I prefer to climb the routes now when visiting the Gunks. Uh oh, I think I might be getting hooked on trad, I just had an urge to eat a ham sandwich…

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook