Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
(Solved) Pad selection, Organic, but....
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

mlevine

Jan 6, 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2971 views)
Shortcut

(Solved) Pad selection, Organic, but....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am new to outdoor bouldering but looking to get a pad. I want an Organic pad. Some questions though. Is a half pad enough to start out on for climbs that aren't ridiculously high? Or just meant for support? If so do people normally progress to needing a full pad that it's not worth getting? If I do wind up with a full pad, should I get a half pad in addition? Is this just crazy overkill?

Notes: I'm new, doing beginner stuff. I will be going alone a lot so moving the pad may not be an option mid-route. I'm pretty tame with moves though and have a pretty good understanding of the way I'm going to fall and where.

(This post was edited by mlevine on Jan 12, 2011, 8:33 PM)

gosharks

Jan 7, 2011, 12:12 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mlevine] Pad selection, Organic, but.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't bother with the half pad unless you have extra money to spend. Might as well be bouldering without a pad if you only have a half.

redlude97

Jan 7, 2011, 1:24 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You will definitely want a full pad at the minimum. Since Organic gives you a discount on the half pad if you purchase with a full pad it is well worth the additional investment if it is going to be our only set of pads. I personally have a full and half pad combo and it covers my needs most of the time. The half pad is good for covering areas not in the direct fall zone, or for filling uneven gaps so the full pad can do its job. Between a friend and I we find a pair of full pads and a pair of half pads are enough to cover 90% of the problems we do

Jooler

Jan 7, 2011, 7:45 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Half pad will help. Plus its cheaper. I went with the briefcase pad for those cases where you want to make a flatter surface for the full pad (as it can fit in smaller areas). By no means would I say the half pad would be ok stand alone...well it might be, if you plan to have perfect aim as you peel off ;)

mr.tastycakes

Jan 8, 2011, 6:25 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get the full size pad first. a second, smaller pad is useful if you're bouldering solo. Having two pads is definitely not overkill. If you're bouldering on a talus slope, sometimes you'll need 3, 4 or more pads to make it "safe" (plus a couple of spotters). Controlled falls aren't the issue. But if you're bouldering at your limit and trying hard, you'll eventually pop off unexpectedly and awkwardly...that's when spotters and lots of padding can really save your ass.

mlevine

Jan 12, 2011, 8:32 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2720 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.tastycakes] Pad selection, Organic, but.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

okay I went with the full pad & half pad. Thank you very much for the helpful comments!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook