RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

agust

Jan 6, 2011, 4:36 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1029 views)
Shortcut

Scarpa Freney in Canadian Rockies
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello

Im heading to Canada in a week to do some skiing and ice climbing. I was wondering if Scarpa Freney xt is to cold for ice climbing in the Canadian Rockies in January/February. Just want to know if I should bring the plastic boots or the Freneys. I dont suffer from cold feet normally. Its just that Im not used to climb ice at - 20C.

Best regards from Iceland
gst

markcarlson

Jan 6, 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #2 of 3 (985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agust] Scarpa Freney in Canadian Rockies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not familiar with that model, but here is a post on the local (Canadian Rockies) ice climbing forum related to them: http://www.gravsports-ice.com/...flat&Number=8104

Also, if it gets really cold, you can rent plastic double boots in Calgary at MEC (cheap, but requires a $5 membership) or at Gear Up in Canmore (more expensive.)

Last time I checked, MEC has the Scarpa Inverno and Gear Up has the Asolo Evoluzione.

gunkiemike

Jan 7, 2011, 1:44 PM
Post #3 of 3 (927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agust] Scarpa Freney in Canadian Rockies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think they are comparable to the average single leather boot in most respects, EXCEPT I noticed a lot more heat loss through the bottoms of my feet (especially with crampons on). So I added thin, flat foam insoles (Dr. Scholls or similar) underneath the stock footbeds. The difference this made was very impressive. Do this if there's room in the boot, and IMO if you keep moving, you'll have no problems at -20 C.

Standard added advice - insulated gaiters or supergaiters add a good 5 degrees to any boot, just by preventing heat loss in the lower leg.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook