Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Rock art tagger to be charged in Federal court!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Vegasclimber10

Jan 10, 2011, 5:58 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1847 views)
Shortcut

Rock art tagger to be charged in Federal court!  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

An update about the little bastard that decided to tag ancient rock art in RR - the feds have picked up the case.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/teenager-nicknamed-pee-wee-faces-federal-charges-in-tagging-113127244.html

(This post was edited by Vegasclimber10 on Jan 10, 2011, 6:08 AM)

climbingtrash

Jan 10, 2011, 1:37 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Vegasclimber10] Rock art tagger to be charged in Federal court! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Vegasclimber10 wrote:
An update about the little bastard that decided to tag ancient rock art in RR - the feds have picked up the case.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/teenager-nicknamed-pee-wee-faces-federal-charges-in-tagging-113127244.html

Isn't strange that we protect one form of graffiti and punish another form? Not that I condone graffiti...but we are an odd society.Crazy

dynosore

Jan 10, 2011, 1:51 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingtrash] Rock art tagger to be charged in Federal court! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingtrash wrote:
Vegasclimber10 wrote:

Isn't strange that we protect one form of graffiti and punish another form? Not that I condone graffiti...but we are an odd society.Crazy

What's strange to me is our society's priorities. This guy should be punished no doubt...but the punishment he's looking at is ridiculous, compared to what people get for other crimes. I used to do foster care. One girl I took in had her nose broken by her dad. He got probation, despite my best efforts. What's worse, punching your 10 year old daughter in the face, or painting some rock that no one bothers to maintain anyways? If it were up to me, I'd give the painter a toothbrush and the abuser a short rope.

climbingtrash

Jan 10, 2011, 2:06 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Rock art tagger to be charged in Federal court! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
Vegasclimber10 wrote:

What's strange to me is our society's priorities. This guy should be punished no doubt...but the punishment he's looking at is ridiculous, compared to what people get for other crimes. I used to do foster care. One girl I took in had her nose broken by her dad. He got probation, despite my best efforts. What's worse, punching your 10 year old daughter in the face, or painting some rock that no one bothers to maintain anyways? If it were up to me, I'd give the painter a toothbrush and the abuser a short rope.

Hear-hear.

wiki

Jan 10, 2011, 9:38 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Vegasclimber10] Rock art tagger to be charged in Federal court! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He should definatley be punished but I bet in another 2000 years, society will be protecting HIS graffiti on rocks as historical art!

bill413

Jan 11, 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] Rock art tagger to be charged in Federal court! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wiki wrote:
He should definatley be punished but I bet in another 2000 years, society will be protecting HIS graffiti on rocks as historical art!

Yes, and all the more valuable for the persecution the artists have had to endure.

climbingtrash

Jan 11, 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1646 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] Rock art tagger to be charged in Federal court! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wiki wrote:

Here in the states I believe once something becomes a hundred years old it becomes protected under the same Act that protects Native American petroglyphs. For example in Utah we have Mormon Pioneer names that were carved into the sandstone over a hundred years in Snow Canyon and those are protected just the same as the petroglyphs. I mean, yeah, the petroglyphs are cool and it would be nice if people wouldn't deface them but old graffiti, new graffiti...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook