Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
black diamond venom as a transitional tool?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

cush

Jan 10, 2011, 5:33 AM
Post #1 of 2 (614 views)
Shortcut

black diamond venom as a transitional tool?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ive done quite a bit of trad climbing and am hoping to make the jump to mountaineering this winter with the hope to eventually move up to steeper, more technical alpine climbs. i was looking into some tools and saw that the bd venom tool comes in 2 styles. one with an adze/traditional mountaineering pick and one with a hammer/more technical pick. i was thinking of picking up the mountaineering ax and using that to learn basic snow travel/self arrests and things like that. then i could buy the other ax when i felt i was ready to transition to alpine routes. the two tools have the same body and picks can be switched out like most other axes. is my plan to buy one tool then the other a good one or should i spend the extra money on seperate sets of tools?

scotty1974

Jan 10, 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #2 of 2 (571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cush] black diamond venom as a transitional tool? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

You might want to look into the Petzl Aztar as well. There isn't much you can't to with that tool if you are looking for a do it all piece of equipment.

I use my venoms quite a bit too, but I reach for those aztars when I know there will be ice. I reserve the venoms for snow and maybe short steps.

That being said the venoms would be great, but the aztars are better. OR there is the vipers if you want to work into more waterfall ice as well.

(This post was edited by scotty1974 on Jan 10, 2011, 11:48 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook