RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

Carynanne

Jan 10, 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #1 of 6 (4459 views)
Shortcut

Need Beginner Advice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, so I am a pretty active person I hike all the time and have done some little climbs, but I have decided, I really want to start seriously climbing..
First issue, I live in North Texas and trying to find where I can learn and train
Second Issue, most of my friends are either coach potatoes or guys who don't climb, thus "its stupid for me to climb"

any suggestions how a girl can get started on her own?
Thanks for the suggestions

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 11, 2011, 12:04 AM
Post #2 of 6 (4446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carynanne] Need Beginner Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The easiest way is if there is a climbing gym nearby, and you can go there. Plenty of people start in the gym these days, and transition to outdoors. Though of course, "gym" and "real rock" climbing are not the same, despite some similarities.

Another way to start is to hire a guide, or join a climbing club. Your climbing gym may have suggestions as to finding these as well. Or, simply search "rock climbing guides "your home town, or the nearest largish town."

It's important to get COMPETENT guidance when you start, because the learning curve is steep and consequences of error potentially debilitating or fatal. Sure, lots of young guys started out with a rope and a rack, on their own and lived to tell about it, but you are a girl, and smarter than that(joke).

Once you know the basics of climbing, and have enough skills to be able to judge the experience/competence of others, then you can test the waters and start climbing with people you may meet at the gym, on climbing discussion boards, at the crags and such. I wrote a little web page that gives som eideas on finding partners, here:
http://www.squidoo.com/...ng--finding-partners

But DO be careful, and learn how to assess situations for yourself before putting yourself in the hands of those you may not know so well.

lena_chita

Jan 11, 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #3 of 6 (4440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Look HERE for a listing of a gym near you:

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/worldgyms.html

Start going to the gym. Meet people. Boulder (climbing without ropes or partners, popular in gyms). Take belay and technique classes, if they offer them.

Enjoy1 With time, you will make friends, find good climbing partner, and get better at climbing.

enigma

Jan 14, 2011, 8:31 AM
Post #4 of 6 (4368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Need Beginner Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Look HERE for a listing of a gym near you:

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/worldgyms.html

Start going to the gym. Meet people. Boulder (climbing without ropes or partners, popular in gyms). Take belay and technique classes, if they offer them.

Enjoy1 With time, you will make friends, find good climbing partner, and get better at climbing.

I climbed in a gym because it was winter in the northeast. When summer came I went outside with a small group and a guide. Then with people I met in groups.
However you live in Texas which is warm nearly all year round depending upon where you live.
If you have enough money for a guide and small climbing group that could happen right away.
Or you might find a group of climbers in your area that will have a range of climbers from beginners to advanced that go on climbing trips.
I have actually enjoyed those the most. You have a large group and you can climb in small groups and alternate partners. Good Luck Cool

Partner camhead

Jan 14, 2011, 7:01 PM
Post #5 of 6 (4349 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Need Beginner Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Caryanne, if you are in Wichita Falls, as your profile says, there is a gym there. http://www.elevatorrock.com/

I've not been there, so can't speak personally about it. However, I used to live in Dallas, and overall the Texas climbing community is very friendly. You also live fairly close to an incredibly good climbing area, the Wichita Mtns., in OK. When I used to climb there, I occasionally ran into climbers from Wichita Falls.

So, there are climbers in your area! Go to the gym, start meeting people, be willing to learn, and hopefully you'll find some safe, motivated, non-creepy climbing partners to get you outside. Good luck.

boymeetsrock

Jan 19, 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #6 of 6 (4257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Happie's post is pretty spot on.

I would suggest that if you are really into climbing then you should start to educate yourself. Read some basic rock climbing and knot books:
Mastering the Basic's
How to Rockclimb
How to Sport Climb
Knots for Rock Climbers

Then maybe read some more advanced stuff.
Advanced Rock Climbing
Anchors

The quicker you come to understand the principles in these books, the sooner you'll be able to assess your partners and their practices. Of course, there is more info in these books than you "need". Also, many of the concepts won't truly become clear until you practice them one day. But the information has value all the same.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook