RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

wwalt822

Jan 10, 2011, 2:54 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Anyone want to destroy my harness?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've got an old semi ratty harness that I need destroyed. Obviously I could destroy it myself but it would be more fun to see how much the force the thing took before it gave. Is there anywhere I can send it to have it pull tested or whatever is done to harnesses?

USnavy

Jan 10, 2011, 3:59 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] Anyone want to destroy my harness? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can test and measure the force it takes to break the belay and haul loops on your harness. I dont have a jig to put the harness in and test as a whole though.

bill413

Jan 10, 2011, 4:48 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Anyone want to destroy my harness? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I can test and measure the force it takes to break the belay and haul loops on your harness. I dont have a jig to put the harness in and test as a whole though.

I suppose that after you break the belay loop, you could rig the harness the same way (with nothing inside it) and see how much the nylon would hold. I'm sure any bones inside it would break first, but it might be interesting.

USnavy

Jan 10, 2011, 5:02 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1306 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Anyone want to destroy my harness? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I could, but it depends on how small I can make the leg loops. The distance from my load cell to the highest anchor point on the frame I have my rig attached to is about 12", and I have about 5" of total pull distance on my pullback ram. So the leg loops would have to be small enough to load before I reach the 17" maximum travel distance of my rig. I guess if the harness was still too big, I could cut off the padding and than I could make the leg and waist loops as small as I needed, which would work.

What part of the harness is damaged / questionable?

wwalt822

Jan 11, 2011, 9:34 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Anyone want to destroy my harness? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The belay loop is a little ratty but I'm guessing its still plenty strong. The protective covering on the tie in points is highly worn but the actual structural parts are still intact. Its a petzl aquila harness and i'm not sure how old it is but im guessing more than 5 years. Its questionable age is the main reason its being retired.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/petzl/aquila

The leg loops aren't adjustable and the waist sounds like it will be too big. Maybe you can loop it in half or something? It would mess with the results but they are mainly for fun anyway.

I was hoping to have the belay loop pulled, then each of the tie in points and maybe a gear loop just because. I see they are usually rated for 5kg of weight but it would be nice to see how many G's you can pull in a fall before they might break or how much force it might put on you if it gets hung up on something in a fall.

(This post was edited by wwalt822 on Jan 11, 2011, 9:38 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$8.96 (10% off)
$51.26 (10% off)
$18.86 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook